• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too damn big?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I was having a discussion with a fellow collector the other day. He's looking to sell a great piece of art - main reason? TOO Big. (It's 18x24 if you must know)

So I had to laugh because - I've had the same issue and sold off some pieces I liked because they were on an oversized board.

Wondering how folks here feel about collecting oversized art?

Do you love it more?

Have you ever got rid of pieces due to size?

Any other thoughts? 

Definitely a consideration. Larger art is not usually a problem if I really like the piece. I have accumulated enough DPS art that I need a new portfolio but I am not selling them off as I like the art quite a bit. My preferred art size is 11x17 and that’s pretty much all I commission at so I have passed on many artists that only work smaller. I am much more likely to pass on something that is TOO small than a piece that is TOO large.

I think the answer to the question depends on which medium you primarily collect.    The guys that mainly just do comic art are going to like 11 by 17 because it’s a reasonable size for a drawing.    It’s too small for a satisfying painting though, so if you like paintings, you’re going to like bigger sizes.     30 by 20 is generally my favourite size for the painted illustrations I collect.  

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I love big artwork  my favorite are double page splashes. Here are 4 double page splashes all together.  If possible I will frame the four together. 

049B23F7-6A2C-438B-ADFF-D31D0862AF86.jpeg

Fantastic looking art - would be impressive if framed together. Be sure to post a pic if you end up doing it!

Yeah, large art has its positives but it bugs me a bit too.  I don't frame up my pieces and having all my 11x17 in one pile, 13x19 in another, and extra large one in yet another is annoying.  It's most annoying when its the same series and for some inexplicable reason, the pages are different sizes so they are stored in different places.

Malvin

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Yeah, large art has its positives but it bugs me a bit too.  I don't frame up my pieces and having all my 11x17 in one pile, 13x19 in another, and extra large one in yet another is annoying.  It's most annoying when its the same series and for some inexplicable reason, the pages are different sizes so they are stored in different places.

Malvin

Hilarious. Either cut it all down to uniformity (:screwy:) or sell. Or...conquer your OCD?

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

Hilarious. Either cut it all down to uniformity (:screwy:) or sell. Or...conquer your OCD?

hey, the same gene that drives us to collect gives us all these quirks too!

But tell artist to use the same size board for the same issue!  For the love of god, give us uniformity!

Malvin

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

hey, the same gene that drives us to collect gives us all these quirks too!

But tell artist to use the same size board for the same issue!  For the love of god, give us uniformity!

Malvin

I get it.    I hate the look and lack of presence of most 11 by 17 comic art.    The wow factor per dollar is NOT there.    However, there is something nice about having an entire collection uniform and fitting into a few tiny little portfolios.   Anyone that collects paintings needs a spare room or a storage unit.