• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too damn big?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Hilarious. Either cut it all down to uniformity (:screwy:) or sell. Or...conquer your OCD?

actually - I dont think its ocd to want to have all the art by the same artist, or from the same series together. I have the same problem with a few pieces. it bugs me too.

6 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Definitely a consideration. Larger art is not usually a problem if I really like the piece. I have accumulated enough DPS art that I need a new portfolio but I am not selling them off as I like the art quite a bit. My preferred art size is 11x17 and that’s pretty much all I commission at so I have passed on many artists that only work smaller. I am much more likely to pass on something that is TOO small than a piece that is TOO large.

when it comes to dps - I don't have an issue -as I can fit the 2 pages in the folder - by removing the tape on the back of the boards.  as long as the art is not touched - I feel ok with that. for me that's better than using a 2nd portfolio.

6 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

when it comes to dps - I don't have an issue -as I can fit the 2 pages in the folder - by removing the tape on the back of the boards.  as long as the art is not touched - I feel ok with that. for me that's better than using a 2nd portfolio.

I like to keep the pages together and it bothers me when I can only see half the art (if the DPS if folded in the portfolio) or the DPS is separated in the portfolio (DPS not attached).  The only good solution for me is to get a larger portfolio so I can see them intact and connected. Then again, it obviously doesn't bother me too much as I keep putting off buying a new portfolio. 

For 20 years, I always thought bigger is better... until I moved into a small house.  Now, I don't have room to display many of them.  That's why it's think it works well for everyone when I can contribute to art exhibits - they finally get to be seen the way they are supposed to be.  

Nowadays, I shy away from bigger oversized pieces unless they are images that really draw me in.   Anything that fits in an Itoya is fine.  

Somebody, please, tell Richard his Jones is too big. Cuz it doesn't fit in an Itoya lol

bigoltarzan.jpg&key=3e239d6fb2ee3f49d68b

(and actually it is too big for that space, personally I'd give up the light switch and go clapper - I'm sure he figured it out eventually)

42 minutes ago, vodou said:

Somebody, please, tell Richard his Jones is too big. Cuz it doesn't fit in an Itoya lol

bigoltarzan.jpg&key=3e239d6fb2ee3f49d68b

(and actually it is too big for that space, personally I'd give up the light switch and go clapper - I'm sure he figured it out eventually)

Wow! 

12 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Wasn't this shrunk down to maybe twice the size of a baseball card and given out as promos?

It was resized in a number of ways actually. But it was reproduced as a full size poster that comic shops put up on their walls.

4 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I like to keep the pages together and it bothers me when I can only see half the art (if the DPS if folded in the portfolio) or the DPS is separated in the portfolio (DPS not attached).  The only good solution for me is to get a larger portfolio so I can see them intact and connected. Then again, it obviously doesn't bother me too much as I keep putting off buying a new portfolio. 

I use the itoya books with removable pages - so you can shift the page to put the 2 together any time. (see images)

but the real reason I switched to these books is

1. crystal clear plastic

2. I can re-arrange pages easily. any time I add a piece of art or take out a piece of art - I don't need to re-arrange the entire book. only the affected pages.

spawn1.jpg

spawn 3.jpg

When I was still pretty green in the hobby, I had some issues with storing larger art and sold a lot of it off before I just found better ways to store large pieces. I remember selling things like a McFarlane Infinity Inc twice up page just because it didn't fit in my portfolios, and every time I see that page on CAF I kick myself. I even sold a bunch of my DPS's for the same reason. I couldn't appreciate them properly in portfolios. But now it doesn't bother me at all, art comes in all sizes and I have adapted to be able to store anything. Pros like Erik Larsen and Adam Hughes prefer to draw big and use larger paper these days, about twice up size, so we just have to learn to deal with it lol.

Like others have said I like my ink art 11x17 or DPS size generally, and prefer that size but I have some smaller pieces too, and am actually a sketch card junkie as well, so I don't shy away from small at all. But with my paintings I love them to be big. My largest framed painting is 30"x40", so I don't shy away from bigger art anymore.

11 hours ago, chromium said:

Get some EC or Prince Valiant art and you'll agree that bigger is better ;)

I was just going to say that twice-up or 18 x 24 seems small once you've owned a Foster Tarzan or Foster Prince Valiant.   

11 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

The biggest problem with comic art for me is most of it is just way too small. So no, too big is not an issue. Too small is a huge issue and I often sell pieces because they are very underwhelming in person.

Yup

For me size doesn't matter. If I like the artwork I will buy it. For many its what is big. Double Page Spreads 17x22 I don't conceder big, I own pieces up to 3 feet by 5 feet framed and hanging on my wall. But I also have large pieces not framed, like  30x40 Crow painting by james 0'Barr. I store most of my comic art in portfolios up to 13x19 on my Comic Art bookshelf. Anything bigger than that I store in 16x20, 22x28 portfolios in a large 45"x54" blueprint drawer. I have never turned down buying a piece because of the size more the cost.

I do, actually. I just don't want to dedicate enough space to them to have more than a handful of my absolute favorites. Same goes with graphic novels/hardcover collections these days too.

I put it off for as long as I could, but eventually started putting together digital collections of some titles that I like to go back and read from time to time, along with any new titles I read digital only. I will only ever buy printed copies of my most favorite titles, and only what seems like the best edition in each instance. For me this means nicest but most practical book for that volume of work. So I only have a few of Absolutes on my shelves for instance.

I actually kept all my old 1st print Sandman hardcovers rather than buying all the Absolutes. Even though the printing is nicer on the Absolutes, they are so much bigger, I find them heavy and unwieldy to actually read. But I do have the Absolute Hush, Long Halloween and DK for instance. With those, I read them less often and more like to just look at them from time to time, or use them as a reference book when I want to look up a specific page or sequence.

For the me size of the AE books and the other books of that sort, makes them fun to set one out on the coffee table for folks to flip through, or to have tucked in a small corner of my little comic library room at home. If I ever get around to building out the in-closet shelving in there, I might have some better dedicated space for books of that size, but they also compete with records, as the vinyl is also space consumptive, like the books. I actually keep my record collection like my book collection. Only the favorites on vinyl, and the rest all digital for space reasons. Back before iTunes and digital music took off, I had a walk in closet full of records, CDs and such.

So yeah, size can be in issue in that context.