• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too damn big?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

When IDW publish things like the EC editions, the Spirit and (my most recent purchase) the large size Fantastic Four (which is stunning), I'll make room for those things and not deny myself the opportunity of being bowled-over by the quality reproductions of some of the very best OA art there for no other reason than "Well, they are kinda big".

Being hung up over size is not a sentiment I share, sorry! :wink:

I have no problem with over-sized artwork except for trying to get a decent scan of the work and then piecing it together on my computer.  I actually prefer the work on the larger side since I feel like the details of the piece show more to me.  The only time I have an issue with some art is when I feel the piece is too damn small.  I, like a few other collectors here, have let those items go due to the size making the piece feel underwhelming to me.

I was gonna say I don't like over sized art, but that's just for pieces I'm not displaying. The art on my wall framed, none of it is 11x17.  Two of my favorite pieces are a DPS and a large Jusko painting he did for a Spider-man poster series.  I think if your're talking about pieces you keep in your binders, yeah oversized sucks. But for unique one off framed pieces I guess I sorta prefer them the more I think about it.

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I actually kept all my old 1st print Sandman hardcovers rather than buying all the Absolutes. Even though the printing is nicer on the Absolutes, they are so much bigger, I find them heavy and unwieldy to actually read.

Proving here, "to each their own". My old tired eyes prefer things printed larger than original publication, thus staving off moving to bifocals for (hopefully) a few more years ;)

Crom laughs at your 11x17 Itoyas! Sell me all your twice-up, DPS, poster-sized pages and unwieldy paintings.

I've got a pretty good system using 18x24 Itoyas with custom cut backings. (I think you can find pics using the board's search that I've posted before.) I stand these on edge, propped up on a piece of foamcore placed in the middle.

For posters and prints, I even have some large "folders" I made out of archival foamcore. 40x60 pieces scored and folded to 30x40. Then, I put Tyvek tape on the spine to reinforce. Six pieces of velcro on the outside to hold it closed. Tissue interleave between posters and the whole thing goes in a giant polybag. You can stand these on edge.

30x40 gallery boxes take the largest pieces and go under the bed or down to storage.

Framed pieces usually get a piece of archival foamcore secured to the front before going into storage. If they have glass and not plexi, a criss-cross of painter's tape in case of breakage. (Although I want to look into some of that cling film for this. I saw FedEx uses that in their art shipping boxes for glass pieces, and it works really well. It comes off easier than painter's or masking tape.)

Edited by BCarter27

I am not a fan of Big pages,
but I sure will love to own
one of those John Byrne 30 x 40 commissions..!

:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3

On a side note;
did anyone know why Mr. Byrne stop posting commissions on his web site?
is he still doing them? is his health all right?

Thank you...

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

I am not a fan of Big pages,
but I sure will love to own
one of those John Byrne 30 x 40 commissions..!

:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3

On a side note;
did anyone know why Mr. Byrne stop posting commissions on his web site?
is he still doing them? is his health all right?

Thank you...

Per a recent exchange with Jim Warden, he isn't taking any new ones right now. I believe he has a backlog and may be wanting to get through them. Possibly taking a break. Jim told me to keep checking the Robotics site and that he wouldn't be surprised if he makes an announcement some time this year that he is again accepting commissions. 

Just posted a new addition on CAF. Its a Marvel Team-Up portfolio illustration by Kerry Gammill.  It was originally on sale on by a fellow CAF member - but I passed on it due to its size 24"x24".  Just an unusual shape for my collection. For the past year I have been getting rid of many of my larger pieces - as I wasn't looking at them as much due to awkward storage on large pieces. 

At any rate - the item came up for auction- and I had a change of heart.  I previously missed out on the Zeck ASM index cover with Spidey and Punisher - that had a similar feel.  So I went for it and glad I did.  (Still looking for that Zeck if you got it to sell.)

Now that its posted - I can enjoy the art more often in the virtual CAF museum.

Art Can be seen here.

uxlBlu6B_220917004344lola.jpg

lf.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Ironically, Felix just posted a photo showing how large all of the packed up Paul Pope art he's shipping out is compared to the regular-sized 11x17 art.

Indeed!

image.png.3f577af547081c1a954084ac49b4e8a9.png

But not a truly accurate representation of relative scale (the 11X17 mailer has more clearance on all sides). For a better idea, check out these two mylars, side by side:

image.thumb.png.a795fb343f7b8af514ba08d6792ddb74.png

Standard 11X17 on the left, custom-made 19X24 on the right.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Indeed!

image.png.3f577af547081c1a954084ac49b4e8a9.png

But not a truly accurate representation of relative scale (the 11X17 mailer has more clearance on all sides). For a better idea, check out these two mylars, side by side:

image.thumb.png.a795fb343f7b8af514ba08d6792ddb74.png

Standard 11X17 on the left, custom-made 19X24 on the right.

The composition and rendering is definately more to my taste on the 11x17. Sometimes a winter's day in Saskatchewan is better represented in a quaint size. Or not.

That’s what doesn’t come across with measurements.   The real measurement of interest is surface area, that’s what you notice in person.   

Some of these dimensions don’t translate until you see the surface area.   20 by 30 ‘sounds’ like 3/4 of the size of 30 by 40, but in fact it’s exactly half.   

17 x 22 doesn’t sound twice as big as 11 by 17, but it is... etc

11 by 17 is itself kind of an exaggeration as the image area is more like 10 x 15

Edited by Bronty

I'm not too crazy about twice up art, though I do own some in my collection. I find it's just difficult to work with and store and mail, though there are exceptions. The basic 11 by 17 size seems to suit me so much better or even smaller pieces are attractive because they're so easy to store.