Too damn big?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

The Voord   
  • 343 posts

If collectors here are shying away from large art pages, how do you feel about the large art IDW Artist Editions?  Do you avoid buying them 'cos they're too darned big??

ESeffinga   
  • 259 posts

I do, actually. I just don't want to dedicate enough space to them to have more than a handful of my absolute favorites. Same goes with graphic novels/hardcover collections these days too.

I put it off for as long as I could, but eventually started putting together digital collections of some titles that I like to go back and read from time to time, along with any new titles I read digital only. I will only ever buy printed copies of my most favorite titles, and only what seems like the best edition in each instance. For me this means nicest but most practical book for that volume of work. So I only have a few of Absolutes on my shelves for instance.

I actually kept all my old 1st print Sandman hardcovers rather than buying all the Absolutes. Even though the printing is nicer on the Absolutes, they are so much bigger, I find them heavy and unwieldy to actually read. But I do have the Absolute Hush, Long Halloween and DK for instance. With those, I read them less often and more like to just look at them from time to time, or use them as a reference book when I want to look up a specific page or sequence.

For the me size of the AE books and the other books of that sort, makes them fun to set one out on the coffee table for folks to flip through, or to have tucked in a small corner of my little comic library room at home. If I ever get around to building out the in-closet shelving in there, I might have some better dedicated space for books of that size, but they also compete with records, as the vinyl is also space consumptive, like the books. I actually keep my record collection like my book collection. Only the favorites on vinyl, and the rest all digital for space reasons. Back before iTunes and digital music took off, I had a walk in closet full of records, CDs and such.

So yeah, size can be in issue in that context.

The Voord   
  • 343 posts

When IDW publish things like the EC editions, the Spirit and (my most recent purchase) the large size Fantastic Four (which is stunning), I'll make room for those things and not deny myself the opportunity of being bowled-over by the quality reproductions of some of the very best OA art there for no other reason than "Well, they are kinda big".

Being hung up over size is not a sentiment I share, sorry! :wink:

staffman   
  • 221 posts

I have no problem with over-sized artwork except for trying to get a decent scan of the work and then piecing it together on my computer.  I actually prefer the work on the larger side since I feel like the details of the piece show more to me.  The only time I have an issue with some art is when I feel the piece is too damn small.  I, like a few other collectors here, have let those items go due to the size making the piece feel underwhelming to me.

zhamlau   
  • 1,265 posts

I was gonna say I don't like over sized art, but that's just for pieces I'm not displaying. The art on my wall framed, none of it is 11x17.  Two of my favorite pieces are a DPS and a large Jusko painting he did for a Spider-man poster series.  I think if your're talking about pieces you keep in your binders, yeah oversized sucks. But for unique one off framed pieces I guess I sorta prefer them the more I think about it.

vodou   
  • 2,665 posts
6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I actually kept all my old 1st print Sandman hardcovers rather than buying all the Absolutes. Even though the printing is nicer on the Absolutes, they are so much bigger, I find them heavy and unwieldy to actually read.

Proving here, "to each their own". My old tired eyes prefer things printed larger than original publication, thus staving off moving to bifocals for (hopefully) a few more years ;)

BCarter27   
  • 884 posts

Crom laughs at your 11x17 Itoyas! Sell me all your twice-up, DPS, poster-sized pages and unwieldy paintings.

I've got a pretty good system using 18x24 Itoyas with custom cut backings. (I think you can find pics using the board's search that I've posted before.) I stand these on edge, propped up on a piece of foamcore placed in the middle.

For posters and prints, I even have some large "folders" I made out of archival foamcore. 40x60 pieces scored and folded to 30x40. Then, I put Tyvek tape on the spine to reinforce. Six pieces of velcro on the outside to hold it closed. Tissue interleave between posters and the whole thing goes in a giant polybag. You can stand these on edge.

30x40 gallery boxes take the largest pieces and go under the bed or down to storage.

Framed pieces usually get a piece of archival foamcore secured to the front before going into storage. If they have glass and not plexi, a criss-cross of painter's tape in case of breakage. (Although I want to look into some of that cling film for this. I saw FedEx uses that in their art shipping boxes for glass pieces, and it works really well. It comes off easier than painter's or masking tape.)

Edited by BCarter27

MagnusX   
  • 5,477 posts

I am not a fan of Big pages,
but I sure will love to own
one of those John Byrne 30 x 40 commissions..!

:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3

On a side note;
did anyone know why Mr. Byrne stop posting commissions on his web site?
is he still doing them? is his health all right?

Thank you...

JadeGiant   
  • 1,346 posts
1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

I am not a fan of Big pages,
but I sure will love to own
one of those John Byrne 30 x 40 commissions..!

:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3:luhv:<3

On a side note;
did anyone know why Mr. Byrne stop posting commissions on his web site?
is he still doing them? is his health all right?

Thank you...

Per a recent exchange with Jim Warden, he isn't taking any new ones right now. I believe he has a backlog and may be wanting to get through them. Possibly taking a break. Jim told me to keep checking the Robotics site and that he wouldn't be surprised if he makes an announcement some time this year that he is again accepting commissions.