• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOVA covers, original series, LOVE on PANEL PAGE ART gallery

17 posts in this topic

I'm a big NOVA fan! I bought 100 copies of issue 1 at a local convention when I was a kid 'cause I was sure he'd be the next Spider-Man and these things would be funding my college education. We'll, they're worth only slightly more than I paid for them back then--not my best investment.

But the OA covers are a different story--I love them, but they're hard to find. I bought the 2 cover by John Buscema at one point from collector pal. The condition bugged me at the time so I didn't wind up keeping it

The Nova 4 cover by Kirby/Sinnott - I think is the gem of the run. I got it from Alan at Heroes in a trade which included the DD 14 splash. I sold this a number of years back at what I felt was a very high number although it moved to another collector a few years back at an even higher number I understand.

The 5, another Kirby/Sinnott cover sold through Heritage--was never really a favorite of mine.

A few years ago I got the 7 back, also Kirby/Sinnott, from a collector buddy who was kind enough to hang on to it long enough to trade me when I told him I had to have it back. I used to own it, but sold it after getting the 4. Of course, after parting with the 4, I needed it back.

So where are all the other Nova covers from the original run? I'd like to pick up one or two more. Here are the other covers I have seen on CAF at one time or another 10, 13, 18 and 25. Where are the rest? I'd love to know...anyone seen 'em?

Come see the covers to 4, 5 and 7 on the PANEL PAGE ART page:
https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

Nova2.jpg.jpg

9 minutes ago, glenbru said:

I'm a big NOVA fan! I bought 100 copies of issue 1 at a local convention when I was a kid 'cause I was sure he'd be the next Spider-Man and these things would be funding my college education. We'll, they're worth only slightly more than I paid for them back then--not my best investment.

But the OA covers are a different story--I love them, but they're hard to find. I bought the 2 cover by John Buscema at one point from collector pal. The condition bugged me at the time so I didn't wind up keeping it

The Nova 4 cover by Kirby/Sinnott - I think is the gem of the run. I got it from Alan at Heroes in a trade which included the DD 14 splash. I sold this a number of years back at what I felt was a very high number although it moved to another collector a few years back at an even higher number I understand.

The 5, another Kirby/Sinnott cover sold through Heritage--was never really a favorite of mine.

A few years ago I got the 7 back, also Kirby/Sinnott, from a collector buddy who was kind enough to hang on to it long enough to trade me when I told him I had to have it back. I used to own it, but sold it after getting the 4. Of course, after parting with the 4, I needed it back.

So where are all the other Nova covers from the original run? I'd like to pick up one or two more. Here are the other covers I have seen on CAF at one time or another 10, 13, 18 and 25. Where are the rest? I'd love to know...anyone seen 'em?

Come see the covers to 4, 5 and 7 on the PANEL PAGE ART page:
https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

Nova2.jpg.jpg

Nice! I have an Infantino Nova page. Loved that series. And I bought the 1st issue off of a comics rack  at my local 7-11 when I was a kid. I still have it!

29 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Nice! I have an Infantino Nova page. Loved that series. And I bought the 1st issue off of a comics rack  at my local 7-11 when I was a kid. I still have it!

I was so into the Buscema stuff at the time that it was a shock to the system when Infantino came along on the title.  Looking back I really like the work Infantino put in to the series -- it just took a while for me to fully appreciate it.  Post up the page if you want -- love to see it!

Don't forget Nova #12 -  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1180988

Also, wasn't there an original pencil version of Nova #1 on CAF awhile ago?  Or was that a recreation?

Was a fan of Nova too and kept with it through the uneven art and uneven stories of those 25 issues (and although I liked some of the Infantino covers and splashes, was generally not a fan of most of the Infantino art).  Don't own any Nova OA but have come close a few times to buying a Sal B. Nova page.

17 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Don't forget Nova #12 -  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1180988

Also, wasn't there an original pencil version of Nova #1 on CAF awhile ago?  Or was that a recreation?

Was a fan of Nova too and kept with it through the uneven art and uneven stories of those 25 issues (and although I liked some of the Infantino covers and splashes, was generally not a fan of most of the Infantino art).  Don't own any Nova OA but have come close a few times to buying a Sal B. Nova page.

Right, I forgot about Brian Peck's cover.  I love that one with Spider-Man!

1 hour ago, glenbru said:

What was wrong with the condition?  

1 minute ago, Flambit said:

What was wrong with the condition?  

This was many years ago, and I'm not holding it in my hands to describe, but as I recall the paper was a little coarse and thin as if it had been exposed to water or moisture.  A good restorer can fix that now.  At the time I didn't realize it.  If I had know, I wouldn't have sold it.  It's a good one.

1 hour ago, glenbru said:

This was many years ago, and I'm not holding it in my hands to describe, but as I recall the paper was a little coarse and thin as if it had been exposed to water or moisture.  A good restorer can fix that now.  At the time I didn't realize it.  If I had know, I wouldn't have sold it.  It's a good one.

My Nova page looks like Infantino accidentally spilled an ink well all over it, so he had to cut a half art board and paste it on top of the stain. LOL! It looks fine. But, you can see the spill when you hold it up to the light.

During the 1970s I was beginning to tire of most Marvel titles;  I kept on collecting them but, for me, the magic of the 1960s was gone.  Of the few 1970s Marvel titles I actually enjoyed reading, Nova (along with Conan the Barbarian  and Frank Miller's run on Daredevil) was something I looked forward to buying each month.

Edited by The Voord