• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest Regret or Score in the last decade?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

This one still stings everytime I think about it, but I learned a valuable lesson that has come in handy more than once since then, and that is, if I am looking at a comic book or a toy that I want and it's priced fairly, if I can afford it, I pay the price and buy it.  To try to save $30.00, that I had in my pocket no less, I missed out on a comic that would cost me $2,000.00 or so to buy today.  Lesson learned.  

Don't feel bad, we've all been there while trying to save a few bucks.  Sometimes though you have to open up your purse strings.  Last year I had a chance to get a X-Men #1 locally (yellow label/purple label) for a pretty big discount to what it would cost elsewhere.  Although I was one of the first person to contact this guy he said he had other people interested, I told him I would give him an extra 20% over his asking price, and it's now it's in my forever collection (unless I upgrade! :) ). 

Sometimes you just have to pay-up to get what you want.  Although it's a commonly-used sales tactic (especially in real estate), but when you look at difference between the spread of what you're trying to save (avoid paying), in your case $30 it makes the decision that much easier.  :)

Edited by spreads

I had both on the same day, best deal and biggest miss. Went to a yard sale in central New York in June 2012.

Win: got amazing Spider-Man 298, 299 and 300 along with New Mutants 98 for $25 all in 9.4 to 9.6 condition

Miss: only had $40 disposable cash at the time otherwise would have gotten the entire collection which included Iron Man 55, Amazing Spider-Man 20 and Silver Sufer 1. A good 7 long boxes which I probably could have gotten for $600

Win some, lose some

On 2/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, The Resurrection said:

Oh to be young again. I remember that being a $5.00 book, 5 years ago lol  Heck I think most of my FF52's I owned cost me between 50-200 bucks and they were at worst F-

That book is a slight stinger for me.  Bought a graded 9.6 off eBay for $75 way back when.  Junk book for years and years, never moved.  Never thought I’d recoup the sales price, being a less than 9.8 nothing book.

Arex sold it here on the boards for me probably 5 years ago +/-.  Maybe for $100.   

Should’ve held onto that one a bit longer.  But, what can you do?  Had some other books that took off.  You win some, you lose some.  Hopefully, the wins outweigh the losers.

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That book is a slight stinger for me.  Bought a graded 9.6 off eBay for $75 way back when.  Junk book for years and years, never moved.  Never thought I’d recoup the sales price, being a less than 9.8 nothing book.

Arex sold it here on the boards for me probably 5 years ago +/-.  Maybe for $100.   

Should’ve held onto that one a bit longer.  But, what can you do?  Had some other books that took off.  You win some, you lose some.  Hopefully, the wins outweigh the losers.

FF52 sold for $100 in 9.6 here five years ago?

I have a story that involves a score and a regret of an almost all OO collection...a buddy and I split the cost of a $5000 collection years ago...it came out to about $5 a book...the collection included almost complete silver runs of TTA, TOS, Avengers, IH, and others...a complete Silver Surfer run that averaged 9.2...can’t remember the DC comics as my buddy picked all those...there were also 2 copies of Mad #1 in VG+...The regrets?...he had an ASM run 1-200 ranging from VG-NM which included an AF 15 in the VG range that wasn’t part of the deal...he wanted another $2000 for it and we couldn’t pull it off...the other regret is selling a lot of these on eBay just a couple of years later...can’t complain as I made a profit but was immediate sellers remorse...The worst that I remember was an Avengers 1-4 lot that I got around $1400 for and the grades were in the FN/FN+ maybe even higher...the sad part is I sold the better copies of everything... 

Edited by JTD

I def don't regret buying this I totally regret the week before I got the Ron Frenz signature on it though. I went back & forth on if I should get this book signed @ a small show & bang the day of I do it & the second I gave it to him I instantly regretted it & wanted to rip it out of his hands but I restrained myself. Every time I look @ it now I wanna shed a single tear. lol

20180220_194233.jpg

58 minutes ago, Jking3437 said:

Regret buying a walking dead 1 raw copy for $60 from midtown when I first got back into collecting , but the $60 omnibus instead

bought a batman 232 Cgc 9.2 for $250 when I first joined the boards, 

I used to regret not buying WD #1 off the newstand at cover price. I picked it up, checked it out and decided the story kinda stank and the art was lousy. I put it back and moved on. Could I have made an insane profit? Sure. But, at the end of the day, I really didn't like the book.

Biggest score, pay to sale ratio, was the 50 cent X-Men 266 I picked up at a flea market that sold for $100, although I am hoping the 2 for $3 NYX 3 I just found in my boxes turns out more lucrative, not exactly sure when I bought that though.

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I used to regret not buying WD #1 off the newstand at cover price. I picked it up, checked it out and decided the story kinda stank and the art was lousy. I put it back and moved on. Could I have made an insane profit? Sure. But, at the end of the day, I really didn't like the book.

You and me both.  I couldn't get past the cruddy artwork :sick:

On 2/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, The Resurrection said:

Oh to be young again. I remember that being a $5.00 book, 5 years ago lol  Heck I think most of my FF52's I owned cost me between 50-200 bucks and they were at worst F-

thats crazy... I see your from Jersey to man peace man peace.

7 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

From Brick, now in Manchester. Jersey is the best

Jersey is dope... very competitive... i like that there is still green patches of land scattered throughout the state... philly and NY close by... it's all good when things are going good... I'm in North Jersey... 20 mins from the city...

Regret:  Sold a NM Batman 635 for $8 about 2 years ago.  Haven’t sold a single comic since - ? 

Successes:  Bought a Superior Spider-Man 22 Campbell variant for $50.  Harley Quinn 1 Hughes for $10.  Harley Quinn #1 (2000) CGC 9.8 Newsstand for $150.  Venom Lethal Protector Gold for $25.  Quite a few more deals that I’m very happy with.

Biggest regret:  Selling two CSS 22's before they really took off

Biggest success: 500 pre-code horror book collection, price worked out to be about $10 a book and some serious killer books in the package.  I have dreams of finding another collection like that one.