• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest Regret or Score in the last decade?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

Haven't been buying for all that long since I started up so I don't have any real regrets in the past 10 years.  When I was a kid in the mid 80s I did buy a first edition #1 TMNT in what I remember as basically Mint condition or pretty darn close (I was pretty picky even back then) for like $30 or less.  I don't even remember what happened to it.  I think I sold it off with a couple of filled short boxes to a LCS for $500 total.  The box had a lot of SA Spidey's, GI Joes, some X-Men, and Wolverine limited set.  The offer was actually pretty reasonable as I recall (spent probably $700-800 for all of it) and another dealer that I spent a fair amount with had only offered like $300 for them and he was pretty annoyed that I didn't take it.

As for my biggest score so far, I consider it an ASM #129 I bought from a fellow board member that I'm very pleased with.  Except for my HUGE gripe against CGC for their inability to address/solve this incessant newton ring issue.  Seriously, I could see this as the number one reason I leave the hobby, if and when I do.

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's tough man.  Ever since I seriously got into collecting comics when I was in my teens in the mid-80's, I've had the condition thing pounded into me.  It's hard to let it go.  Even now when I look at a VF copy of something I get that nagging voice in the back of my mind "but for just a few more bucks you get one just a bit nicer than that".  And it seems like every time I look at a non-NM book the defects are the first things that jump out at me like 3-D.... never mind that 90-95% of the comic looks great.  The OCD condition thing drives me nuts.

I have a problem with this too.  I find that it is always worse when I first buy a book.  The longer I have it the less the defects stand out and the more I begin to appreciate the aspects of it that are good.  I also find that having a few less than stellar copies of books in my collection makes me appreciate the ones that are >9.6 that much more.  

8 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Best score buying an Iron Man #1 in VF for $10.00 at a flee market in the 70's. Regrets plenty. Someone had NM copies of Hulk 180,181,182 back in the 80's he wanted $60.00 bucks for 180 and 182 and $60.00 for 181. $60.00 is all I had at the time so I bought 180 and 182 thinking I would save my mowing money and go back the next week and get 181 needless to say I still don't have a 181 :facepalm: In 1992 or 93 could have bought Avengers #4 in NM for $850 an Iron Man #55 NM for $90.00 Action #252 in 8.5 for $500.00 do I need to continue :cry:

Oh the pain... Right now my LCS has a very nice copy of 181 for 3k... should I save up and bite the bullet or wait... ughh  it just seems so expensive...

My biggest score and biggest regret are the same book.  I bought a House of Secrets #92 CGC 9.4 signed by Wien from @jimjum12 a couple years back for $2700 (A steal by today's value).  That's the score part.  Then a year ago a copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 in a CGC 8.5 came up for sale on c-link.  I consigned my HOS 92 along with my ASM 129 and GSX1 to try and by the Black Cat 50.  I lost the auction bid and 3 of my best comics to boot. :sorry:

biggest score was probably replying to a kijiji ad in Toronto about 1.5 years ago - A guy who worked at a comic book store years ago was selling a bunch of books - he had an entire wall filled with short boxes. I was able to pick up a few awesome books very reasonably priced. The gems were 5 ASM 361's for $30 each. 4 came back 9.8, 1 came back 9.6

biggest regret - back when I wanted to buy a BA 12 9.8 (for about $300) and was torn between that book and a Vengeance of Bane 1 CGC 9.8 - with Bane set to appear in the latest batman movie, I opted for the cheaper Bane book (thinking I still had time on the BA). I sort of forgot about the BA 12 for a bit and when I went back for one, realized it was almost twice as expensive. I could buy a CGC 9.8 for $550-600 or a 9.6 for $300-350. I went with a 9.6 - now the 9.8's are $1800+ and I can't fathom spending that much on a modern book when I already have a 9.6

53 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Biggest Regret: Selling my Bats 232 8.0 double signature for $200.00 in 2012 when I was selling everything to buy our house.

I'm walking that tightrope now.  No fun, but I keep telling myself "can't live under the comics"...

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I'm walking that tightrope now.  No fun, but I keep telling myself "can't live under the comics"...

I miss the book, I like the house better and so does my family. Priorities my friend, you will get more comics (I actually sold off all of my BA books, pedigrees, and anything not Detective Comics related).

11 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I miss the book, I like the house better and so does my family. Priorities my friend, you will get more comics (I actually sold off all of my BA books, pedigrees, and anything not Detective Comics related).

I did the same with my second collection back in 1994. House has tripled in value since then, doubt the comics would have done the same. 

Two regrets are selling my first AF 15 in 5.0 about 8 years ago. Had selllers remorse immediately. 

My other regret is not keeping the other two copies of Hulk 1 that I owned. A 6.5 and a 3.0. I could have payed off the remaining balance of my mortgage with them today. 

Edited by joeypost

7 hours ago, Nick's Comics said:

My biggest score and biggest regret are the same book.  I bought a House of Secrets #92 CGC 9.4 signed by Wien from @jimjum12 a couple years back for $2700 (A steal by today's value).  That's the score part.  Then a year ago a copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 in a CGC 8.5 came up for sale on c-link.  I consigned my HOS 92 along with my ASM 129 and GSX1 to try and by the Black Cat 50.  I lost the auction bid and 3 of my best comics to boot. :sorry:

Oh, that sucks so bad, sorry...

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Biggest score: Chamber of Chills 19 CGC 7.0 Harvey File Copy about 2010 for $250.00

Biggest Regret: Selling my Bats 232 8.0 double signature for $200.00 in 2012 when I was selling everything to buy our house.

You don't want to know what I sold to buy my first house... In the end, a very wise and responsible decision.

20 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I did the same with my second collection back in 1994. House has tripled in value since then, doubt the comics would have done the same. 

Two regrets are selling my first AF 15 in 5.0 about 8 years ago. Had selllers remorse immediately. 

My other regret is not keeping the other two copies of Hulk 1 that I owned. A 6.5 and a 3.0. I could have payed off the remaining balance of my mortgage with them today. 

It's funny we say this, but the amount of money we steadily make from comics is a blessing.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

You don't want to know what I sold to buy my first house... In the end, a very wise and responsible decision.

That last part says it all. I don't have a third of the keys I used to, but I have a home for my family.

Back in the 1980's when i worked in North Dakota a co-worker was after me to look at some Captain America Comics he had, He was younger than me and I figured probably a bunch of Bronze Age, maybe Silver, nothing too exciting. One day I brought in some pictures of the Timely Caps just to check him out, he pointed to the Cap #1, and said, that one's there for sure.

Needless to say we were immediately in my car heading for Orrin ND, about 75 miles away, when we got there the old guy living in the house said he'd gotten tired of all the Junk in the back room, and last week he'd taken it all out and burned it.

I scored a number of Golden Age collections out of ND over the years, but that one always bothered me, missed by a week.

14 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

Back in the 1980's when i worked in North Dakota a co-worker was after me to look at some Captain America Comics he had, He was younger than me and I figured probably a bunch of Bronze Age, maybe Silver, nothing too exciting. One day I brought in some pictures of the Timely Caps just to check him out, he pointed to the Cap #1, and said, that one's there for sure.

Needless to say we were immediately in my car heading for Orrin ND, about 75 miles away, when we got there the old guy living in the house said he'd gotten tired of all the Junk in the back room, and last week he'd taken it all out and burned it.

I scored a number of Golden Age collections out of ND over the years, but that one always bothered me, missed by a week.

that's gotta sting