• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest Regret or Score in the last decade?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

Best pickup was the OO late GA collection I got a couple years ago.  Tons of Atlas precode horror, Patsy Walker and war books, a few superhero books as well including a midgrade Captain America 77 and Men's Adventures, etc.  Also included in the 250 book lot were some other classic cover PCH.  

Had planned to grade and sell...graded a few, haven't sold any yet.  WAAAAAY too lazy ;)

Biggest regret: Selling my 7.0 copy of Batman 121 from an original owner collection years ago.  Also, not buying SA Marvel keys when I got into the hobby in  early 2000s.

Biggest score:  Buying (and keeping) a cool Black Panther cover from the artist (MD Bright) when I first got into the hobby.  Also, holding onto two nice copies of Batman Adventures 12.

Here is the classic version of this thread...

On 2/28/2018 at 4:12 PM, davidpg said:

Best pickup was the OO late GA collection I got a couple years ago.  Tons of Atlas precode horror, Patsy Walker and war books, a few superhero books as well including a midgrade Captain America 77 and Men's Adventures, etc.  Also included in the 250 book lot were some other classic cover PCH.  

Had planned to grade and sell...graded a few, haven't sold any yet.  WAAAAAY too lazy ;)

Sell them now! In the GA forum!

Biggest Score...... It was more like 20 years ago and I was a newlywed with hardly a pot to in a antique/junk store won a storage locker that went to auction filled with comics.  The junk store was selling everything for a quarter an issue. The bulk of the stuff was 25 cent cover price to 75 cent cover price and usually bagged 10 or more copies in a bag. This had to have been the overstock from the shelves as it rotated out month to month so most were still newsstand fresh and the titles were all there. The amount of books basically overfilled a 20ft box truck from top to bottom with still a could small pick-up truck loads on top of that. I was there when they brought them in I had bought books from them before and they told all the vultures when they where bringing them in so we could go through then when they hit the floor. I was able to pick up large large runs of most Marvel titles from the 70's to the  90's. opening the bags a taking the "best " copy out of the bags. It was basically the find that set the foundation for my collection and the past twenty years has been filling the holes and trying to get the stuff from the sixties to keep the runs going.

Biggest Regret.... That I didn't or couldn't buy more. Turns out that once they made a good profit off the locker auction price and the books were there a bit they liquidated them to the landfill. 

Best score was back in the mid 90's, I went to a flea market and bought a pile of FF from 48-60 for $5 a pop and Tomb of Dracula 1-20 for $25. At the same market I past on an Uncanny X-men for $150 as I thought it was crazy money for a comic....yikes!! In 1992 I also bought a ASM 129 and IH 181 for $120 total, great deal today, $120 seemed like a lot of money back then esp for a university student.

My biggest regret was selling off 90% of my collection around 15 years ago, I missed the big price jump in the industry. I had some silver and most all bronze and copper age keys and a near complete run of ASM 100-400. I would love to have my collection back just for reading, I will never be able to purchase them back as comic prices have gone crazy.

2 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Biggest Regret.... That I didn't or couldn't buy more. Turns out that once they made a good profit off the locker auction price and the books were there a bit they liquidated them to the landfill. 

Liquidated them to a landfill!? That hurts. That really hurts. You would think they would have offered you or someone else who was buying them to buy the rest for a bulk price. 

Still, that sounds pretty good score. I've had a few decent scores over the years but nothing like this. I missed out on a pretty good one when I was 12 or so. I was big into Spider-man and called up a guy who was selling some comics in the paper. I go to his house and this guy has boxes and boxes of unsorted 60s DC and 70s-80s Marvel. He was asking a buck a piece. I managed to get quite a few Spectacular Spider-man comics (including #1). He didn't have any Amazing Spider-man. I passed over so much Silver Age DC looking for Spider-man comics haha. Luckily my mom suggested I should grab a couple of the 60's comics as they might be worth something. I grabbed like 10 Superboy comics because he seemed more interesting then Superman. (D'oh!). 

I went to the comic book store the next day and got an Overstreet Price Guide and looked into the value of some of the comics I passed over. Surprised at what they were worth I called the guy back that day to find that someone came and bought everything from him after I was there. :(

My biggest regret of the last 10 years is what brought me to the boards. Bought an AF15 on eBay for $600, and someone here reached out to me to tell me it very likely had a repro cover. It did. Took awhile but I eventually got my $600 back. Wish I'd hung onto it as now I'm pretty sure even a coverless version goes for quite a bit more than that right now.

8 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

My biggest regret of the last 10 years is what brought me to the boards. Bought an AF15 on eBay for $600, and someone here reached out to me to tell me it very likely had a repro cover. It did. Took awhile but I eventually got my $600 back. Wish I'd hung onto it as now I'm pretty sure even a coverless version goes for quite a bit more than that right now.

Yup.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, kilowatt said:

Biggest Score...a guy on Craigslist posted some comic books for sale and I contacted him. We met at a coffee shop on a cold December day and he brought with him a tote filled with books. He was looking for $50 and told me his father said no less. The guy was around 20 or so.  I looked through the books (just about all 70's stuff) and on the bottom were some Creepy and Eerie magazines. We were told that we could not use the shop for business and we were asked to leave. I figured around 200 books and magazines, why not. Gave him the $50 and we left. The score was minimal, I could maybe double my money, a lot of common comics, but they were in great shape and they filled some holes. So I kept them. The next day I get a phone call from the same guy and he tells me his father wants to speak with me. I'm now thinking these were his Dad's books and wants them back. To my surprise he has more books and wants to meet. I meet him at a gas station near his house, and find out the guy's legit. He's around my age and after talking awhile we head over to his house. He begins to tell me his parents owned a small Mom & Pop store in the 60's and 70's and when the comic books and magazines were changed out weekly or monthly his father stacked them in egg boxes till they were filled and stored them away in his basement. He proceeded to take me downstairs and as I hit the last step I nearly fell to the ground. There were literally 50-60 boxes stacked neatly in a small room. I opened one of the boxes and there were multiple copies of 70`'s Amazing Spider-Man, X-men, Action Comics...you get the point. These copies were as fresh as the day they were printed. The guy wanted $50 a box. Sight unseen. I wouldn't be able to open any more boxes, and as long as I bought 4 boxes or more a month they were mine exclusively. I decided to buy 2 boxes to start. I picked two of the bottom boxes towards the back of the stack, handed him the money and walked out the door. I didn't want to seem too eager but once I left the house I parked in a shopping center parking lot and opened the first box. There were multiple copies of Tales of Suspense, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, X-men, different titles all from the late 60's. I went back there every couple weeks and bought up every box he had. I later confirmed the books dated from the mid 60's till the mid 70's. Star Wars #3 was the latest book in the collection. In total I paid $2650 for 53 boxes with roughly 340-350 books in each box. That's around 18,250 books. The Magazines were amazing! Creepy 1-66, Eerie 2-56, Zombie, Mad, House of Dracula, the list goes on. Highlights were;  Hulk 102, Iron Man 1, Conan #1, 4 copies of ASM 129, Hulk 181, 6 copies of Submariner #1, 5 copies of Star Wars #1, multiple Batman, Detective, Flash...  there's no way I can tell you everything in this collection. In short it was a once in a lifetime score for a comic book collector. There was a risk in paying $50 for the unknown, but in the long run it was the best decision I ever made. Now many of you won't believe this story, and I don't blame you. It is far-fetched, but my nephew is on this site and he knows the truth. It really did happen.  

what a find!

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I think it was a FF #49 9.6 for BIN of $600 bucks or so. hm

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, Drummy said:

Yeah, I think FF got a 9.6 copy of Fantastic Four #52 for a BIN price of $750, if I remember right.

*sigh*

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Dan

Dan is correct, FF  did that circa early to mid 2000's

Biggest regret ever? Selling this in 1999. I bought it directly from John Totleben in 1987 and sold it for probably 1/50th of what it would sell for now.

Biggest score? There's multiple. Zaid and I found a collection three years ago that was pretty good. I found one in Leesburg five months ago that isn't bad either. 

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Biggest regret ever? Selling this in 1999. I bought it directly from John Totleben in 1987 and sold it for probably 1/50th of what it would sell for now.

I bought some pieces from Totleben directly about 20 years ago and regret selling them all. 

Ten years ago, after the recession hit, I decided that my disposable income to buy comics had to come from selling comics. Not really flipping, more like unloading stuff from my collection. Most of it I don't regret getting rid of, but I did sell a few books before they popped. Oh, well. It's become difficult to keep this rule, and sometimes I slip, but then again I am an addict. Like another boardie posted earlier, I also regret putting together HG runs of books that are, frankly, BA fodder. Good, fun BA fodder, but not really necessary to own in high grade.

My other big regret is not jumping into OA when I started collecting again seriously. Now it seems like 98% of the stuff I'm interested in has moved far, far out of reach, into the kind of absurd money that buys cars, luxury goods and houses.

I'm not sure what my biggest score in the last ten years is. If I had to guess, dollar for dollar, maybe the first printing of Bone #1 in about 6.0-6.5 that I picked up for $45 from a dealer via mail order.

Edited by MisterX

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Biggest score? There's multiple. Zaid and I found a collection three years ago that was pretty good. I found one in Leesburg five months ago that isn't bad either. 

How did you buy it directly from him?  Did you know him personally?

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

How did you buy it directly from him?  Did you know him personally?

When Swamp Thing 53 came out I looked him up in the phone book in Erie, PA and called him. Simpler time. I bought that and a couple of Swamp Thing Etrigan pages directly from him.