• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weiss Auctions Feb 14, 2018
1 1

47 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Abusive prices today-

https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/jwr9gw2n0r?size=200&page=2&categories=

Is this a case of "barn find" mentality? I've seen this kind of feeding frenzy at small auctions before. Seems like lots of phone bidders.

A friend e-mailed me about this auction a couple of weeks ago.  Saw a few interesting things, but, I know that dealers are all over this auction house and that nothing would go cheaply.  Since nothing was squarely in my wheelhouse, I passed on it.  

That said, the prices seem pretty much in-line to me (I'm assuming that there's a BP added to these prices? If not, I'd even say that a lot of things went slightly cheap).  

15% BP through phone bids, 20% through Invaluable.

The Foster was about right. The Gene Colan cover seemed very high to my eyes. And the All Star Squadron covers... huh?

The offering this time was not as nice as the last batch of Kubert material, but that didn't stop anyone.

I find these Bronze Age-focused auctions very interesting. Is this a sign that demographic and era of art has topped out? Or do the people buying today think there are still about 5-10 years left of growth in this age bracket?

Just now, John S. said:

it being sold at a smaller and less well known auction house.

I think CAT stuck the final nail in that coffin. And email newsletters probably grabbed the old timers.

But as I mentioned, I've seen bidders lose the "big picture" at these smaller venues -- especially in the room. I'm not sure if that is the case today, as there seemed to be mostly phone people.

4 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I think CAT stuck the final nail in that coffin. And email newsletters probably grabbed the old timers.

But as I mentioned, I've seen bidders lose the "big picture" at these smaller venues -- especially in the room. I'm not sure if that is the case today, as there seemed to be mostly phone people.

Looking at Invaluable, it is showing me a large number of floor bidders for those pieces?

3 minutes ago, John S. said:

Looking at Invaluable, it is showing me a large number of floor bidders for those pieces?

From what I could tell, they were marked as floor bids in Invaluable, but in the audio feed they were call-ins. Actual floor bids had paddle numbers, I think.

Edited by BCarter27

14 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

The Foster was about right. The Gene Colan cover seemed very high to my eyes. And the All Star Squadron covers... huh?

I expected $15K on the Colan cover, so right about in-line with the BP, maybe even a tad low IMO. 

Claw cover for $3K-ish after NY sales tax. Is this the starting bid for Bronze covers now? Is this a good example of the middle being lifted up these days? ("middle" because it is Kubert and a cover. So you can justify some box ticking, I guess.)

H1043-L136616563.jpg

11 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Claw cover for $3K-ish after NY sales tax. Is this the starting bid for Bronze covers now? Is this a good example of the middle being lifted up these days? ("middle" because it is Kubert and a cover. So you can justify some box ticking, I guess.)

H1043-L136616563.jpg

I'm sure there are still some no-name title/3rd or 4th tier artist/and/or just sucky Bronze Age covers that are still below $3K, but, yeah, it seems as though the vast majority of Big Two covers from the era start at $3K these days.  

If we're talking early-to-mid '70s 1st/2nd tier Marvel superhero titles by a halfway decent artist drawing a halfway decent cover, it's really hard to find things for less than $13-$15K these days, which is why $15K was my initial gut reaction to seeing that Colan Dr. Strange cover among the listings.

Edited by delekkerste

$4500-ish for All-Star Squadron. And this was the cheaper one!

H1043-L136618738.jpg

I don't know if these would have done as well at CC, CL, or HA competing with other material.

I guess my follow up question is what the future holds for this material (name artist, back shot, 3rd tier title). Is that a $7K cover in 5 years? $10K in 10 years?

3 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

H1043-L136618738.jpg

I guess my follow up question is what the future holds for this material (name artist, back shot, 3rd tier title). Is that a $7K cover in 5 years? $10K in 10 years?

As a speculator I couldn't muster interest in this unless it was $9k in three years (or less). And $45k in ten years (or less). Thus...I am not a speculator in comic art (anymore) :)