• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weiss Auctions Feb 14, 2018
1 1

47 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

The Avengers #142 page sold for more than other Avengers #141 and #142 Perez pages inked by Colletta that I've seen the last several years.

yea really nice example of Perez art with great characters and a nice Thor panel w hammer. 

Unknown Solder ad piece went strong...$2,760 w/ juice. 

Other final prices...

Complete Tarzan #236 (not inked by Kubert) was $10,350 w/ juice (17 pages)

House of Mystery #301, $3,105 w/ juice

Unexpected #216 went at $2,185 w/ juice

Tomahawk #134, $3,335 w/juice

Ghosts #108, $5,462.50 w/juice

Battle Classics #2 (with Rock, nice cover), $5,462.50

GIC 175, mentioned previously, one of the nicest covers in this round.

1 minute ago, Ironmandrd said:

You mean bid live through the Weiss Auctions site?

No - if you show up and bid live on site.  No juice for in-person bids I believe.  And, I think 2% off as well if you pay in cash.  I think that is right so a dealer could show up and pay 98% of his bid price instead of 120% like the rest of us.

Edited by Michael (OML)1
adding sentence

42 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I knew nothing about this auction.  There was a 4 page lot of P. Craig Russell Killraven pages that might have been fun to go after if they stayed cheap.  Anybody know what it closed for?  It was lot 192.

Lot 192 was nice. It sold for $3,910 with juice. I believe it was 5 pages in all. 4 Killraven, 1 Hulk. So $782 per.

1 hour ago, Michael (OML)1 said:

Remember - no juice if you bid live on site, right?

I think all  bidders pay the buyers premium. 15% or 13% (if you pay by check) on top of the hammer bid price. But I may be wrong. I never heard that bidders live in person pay only the hammer. But again, I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure?

5 minutes ago, lobrac said:

I think all  bidders pay the buyers premium. 15% or 13% (if you pay by check) on top of the hammer bid price. But I may be wrong. I never heard that bidders live in person pay only the hammer. But again, I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure?

That's right -- it's 15% if you bid on site or in advance at http://www.weissauctions.com/ with a 2% discount for paying check or cash.  It's 20% if using Proxibid or Invaluable, also with a 2% discount for check/cash.  You have to pay 8.625% sales tax if shipping to New York or picking up in person unless you have a reseller certificate.

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that people think these prices are out of whack.  Nice Kubert art is hard to come by and is rarely cheap.  3K for an Ernie Chan Claw cover might not seem like a bargain, but for a Kubert one that seems pretty reasonable.  A few things were higher than expected and a few lower, but I don't think the results are significantly different than what they would have been on Heritage.  Just my 2 cents...

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

What am I missing here? These prices seem normal/reasonable in the current market, a few good buys with a steal, a few heavy pays with one head scratcher. Do most people think these prices are to high?

Yeah, I’m with you, it’s not like there’s an extra zero on everything 

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Abusive prices today-

https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/jwr9gw2n0r?size=200&page=2&categories=

Is this a case of "barn find" mentality? I've seen this kind of feeding frenzy at small auctions before. Seems like lots of phone bidders.

I swear there are hardly any deals to be had. I watched a lot close 20k against a pre=auction estimate of 600-900, small obscure auction house in Washington stumbled on to an exquisite piece of tribal art; under the radar just doesn't seem to happen anymore.