• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Heritage Art Find

72 posts in this topic

I just heard that Heritage has discovered a cache of Golden Age artwork that is mind-boggling. I have very sketchy details but it came out of the east coast.

Just one of the major pieces is my all-time favorite Batman cover: # 11! hail.gif

I can't wait to get all the details. And it just goes to prove that there are still a lot of comics and artwork still waiting to be uncovered...

I just heard that Heritage has discovered a cache of Golden Age artwork that is mind-boggling. I have very sketchydetails but it came out of the east coast.

Just one of the major pieces is my all-time favorite Batman cover: # 11! hail.gif

I can't wait to get all the details. And it just goes to prove that there are still a lot of comics and artwork still waiting to be uncovered...

yay.gif

Just curious...how did Heritage "discover" the artwork???...do they activley seek out this kind of stuff or did someone contact them for consignment???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

oh yeah.... 893whatthe.gif

Just curious...how did Heritage "discover" the artwork???...do they activley seek out this kind of stuff or did someone contact them for consignment???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They actively seek out this kind of stuff.

Probably right in our neighborhood too...eh Rob.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Probably right in our neighborhood too...eh Rob.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Without a doubt. There are LOTS of nice collections hidden away in those old New England homes.

Hey! You coming up for the Boston Wizard World show?

Hey! You coming up for the Boston Wizard World show?

When is it???... crazy.gif

September.

Dates? I still owe you a Cuban, Rob.

September 30th-October 2nd, 2005

I just saw that Artist's Alley is sold out... frustrated.gif

Just spoke with Ed Jaster and he gave me a few more details during his cab ride home. The seller was an antique dealer who had purchased the art from a former EC letterer (but I thought EC used a machine to do there lettering...). Anyway it turns out that along with the Batman 11 there are 2 Action covers (#'s 45 and 51) and 2 Moon Girl covers as well as a Land of the Lost cover.

Ed was particularly pleased with 2 specialty pieces by H.G. Peters featuring Wonder Woman, and he mentioned the artwork is in superb condition.

It's so cool when something like this happens. It gets the juices flowing in all of us. To own the original cover of Batman 11 is almost unthinkable. It's a piece of Americana of the highest order and is a masterpiece of design and workmanship.

Someone will be very happy when they're the high bidder.

They sure do seek this stuff out. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (more?) every year advertising and building relationships so when something like this cache of artwork surfaces that they get a shot at it. The competition for this material is fierce! Just think about it, if the Batman cover sells for $100,000 or $150,000, just the buyer's premium is $15,000 to $22,500...Every art dealer in the hobby would love to sell this cover...