• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Heritage Art Find

72 posts in this topic

100K - 150K is imho a low estimate.

Ive seen that type of $ offerred for comparable art and turned down.

All you need is 2 BSD's in the room and fughedabout.

I guesstimate 200K min. for the BatMan 11 Cover.

Ed was particularly pleased with 2 specialty pieces by H.G. Peters featuring Wonder Woman, and he mentioned the artwork is in superb condition

...When you say specialty pieces does that mean blue pieces featuring Wonder Woman?...I understand Peters created a lot of custom pieces with her nude.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

nc-faint.gif

893whatthe.gif

All I see is "Stolen Image. If you see this, someone is stealing bandwidth from NightScrawlers.com."

jeebus. it was a frigging 1kb gif. the stupid image they replaced it with takes more bandwidth than the gif would have with fifty times the page views.

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

nc-faint.gif

893whatthe.gif

All I see is "Stolen Image. If you see this, someone is stealing bandwidth from NightScrawlers.com."

jeebus. it was a frigging 1kb gif. the stupid image they replaced it with takes more bandwidth than the gif would have with fifty times the page views.

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Some people have a zero tolerance attitude toward stealing bandwidth. Lots of people turn it off for ALL images and ALL domains. I don't, I allow it for most sites, but I monitor my traffic to stop annoying usages- example, using a 100k image of mine for a background image in a myspace page (I've turned off the whole myspace domain because of stuff like that.)

In this situation, while you might be right about the size difference, YOU received no benefit from direct linking to their image, which in itself might make it worthwhile for them.

I mean, I used to serve up a 1600 by 1600 day-glo green image that would totally break any site that direct linked to one of my images. Was that the most efficient way to handle the situation? 27_laughing.gif

Scourge:

I understand what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. The problem arises when a seller is out of his element - and believe me, there no quirkier and stranger marketplace than that for old comics and original art.

I believe this seller is convinced that since Stan Lee, Nick Cage and a host of other notables chose Heritage that they have the best chance of getting top dollar. I can't and won't argue with this logic. I believe strongly that some of the record prices that I've received for some of my collection was directly due to Heritage selling them. They don't sit around waiting for buyers to just show up. They work hard and spend big bucks promoting their auctions.

--Gary

Perhaps Gary,

I will admit that Heritage might be the best place but I personallyreally dont like the elements of 'lost control' and 'lost juice' engendered while using an Auction House. I whole-heartedly agreee that those outta there element like the comfort of using a 'reputable auction house',...I just cant see myself ever using one.

Cant wait to see what the auction does,...should be fun !

Is it Robinson ? Was this bulk collection a New York collection (as someone from Heritage alluded to the fact that somebody had just 'walked in' some amazing art when they did their show @ the Roosevelt last year.) ?

Best,

MATT

Perhaps Gary,

I will admit that Heritage might be the best place but I personallyreally dont like the elements of 'lost control' and 'lost juice' engendered while using an Auction House. I whole-heartedly agreee that those outta their element like the comfort of using a 'reputable auction house',...I just cant see myself ever using one.

Cant wait to see what the auction does,...should be fun !

Is it Robinson ? Was this bulk collection a New York collection (as someone from Heritage alluded to the fact that somebody had just 'walked in' some amazing art when they did their show @ the Roosevelt last year.) ?

Best,

MATT

Any other published pieces to your knowledge of Batman11 caliber ?

Jerry Robinson owns the Superman 14 cover.

Just spoke with Ed Jaster and he gave me a few more details during his cab ride home. The seller was an antique dealer who had purchased the art from a former EC letterer (but I thought EC used a machine to do there lettering...).

Kurtzman's EC comics were hand-lettered and the machine lettering still required a human operator. I assume the original owner from one of those two groups.