• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Heritage Art Find

72 posts in this topic

IMHO, A faulty assumption.

Deal would'a pulled off more on the side.

But some people like using Brokers.

Always blows my mind on the sell side.

When ya got gold...it dont take much effort to peddle it.

Why? If you sell it at a fixed price, that means by definition your upside is limited to the price that you`ve set. If you put it up on auction, there is potential for the piece to be bid well beyond anything you were expecting, and you can protect yourself on the downside by setting a reserve. Do you think it`s coincidence or collective stupidity on the part of many of the world`s wealthiest people that most top pieces of fine art get sold through auction?

IMHO, A faulty assumption.

Deal would'a pulled off more on the side.

But some people like using Brokers.

Always blows my mind on the sell side.

When ya got gold...it dont take much effort to peddle it.

Why? If you sell it at a fixed price, that means by definition your upside is limited to the price that you`ve set. If you put it up on auction, there is potential for the piece to be bid well beyond anything you were expecting, and you can protect yourself on the downside by setting a reserve. Do you think it`s coincidence or collective stupidity on the part of many of the world`s wealthiest people that most top pieces of fine art get sold through auction?

The problem with selling at an Auction House with a reserve that isnt met is that the piece gets 'tainted' and 'exposed'. The market likes new material and once the damage of an unsold piece is done, it becomes hard to undo. And I believe its collective stupidity and laziness that prompt many to use Auction Houses. I will NEVER use one on the sell-side but will sell privately. In my experience...the outside market is ahead of the Auction House.

100K - 150K is imho a low estimate.

Ive seen that type of $ offerred for comparable art and turned down.

All you need is 2 BSD's in the room and fughedabout.

I guesstimate 200K min. for the BatMan 11 Cover.

Care to make a wager? confused-smiley-013.gif

If that Action cover surpasses $100K, I will be surprised. I think the Bats cover could surpass that mark, but $200K sounds way aggressive. I'd be curious to hear what "comparable art" has been turned down for $100K-$150K, especially since better pieces than either of these two tattered pieces have failed to break 6-figures. I held that awesome Human Torch cover that Heritage was auctioning off in '03 in my hands and that piece failed to meet reserve (which was 5-figures, not 6). And that cover was by Schomburg and had been restored to immaculate condition - these two pieces look like somebody saved them from a trash compactor. And who are the artists on these covers, anyway? Are people really going to pay more for these than a large Frazetta oil? Or multiple Romita ASM covers? Or more than twice the price of that Marvel #1 page that just sold? We all know that it is neat-o that these old pieces have survived, but I doubt the BSDs who actually have the money to buy this kind of stuff will value them as highly as you're thinking. I mean, straight up, for $200K cash, you could probably pry away some of the best OA in existence. And neither of these pieces would qualify as that.

Anyway, good luck with your $100K bids on each piece. I think there is a very good chance you will end up owning one or both of these covers at that price.

Delicatessen,

If I end up owning either of the pieces @ my 100K bid...I will be very happy.

I reckon in 15 years when I wanna sell Ill have bidders willing to pay 500K per piece ...EASY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that beats the Streets 8 percent........................EASY !!!

LAUGH NOW !

If I win,..I ll be damn happy.

Sonething tells me my bid will either not meet reserve or get beaten...

BUT ID BE HAPPY TO BE PROVEN WRONG

!

Ill have a corned beef on rye....cause Im with the Deli man on this. If you buy them for 100k each (which somehow I dont think will meet reserve) you MIGHT make your 8% and be okay on them..... but 500K?? c'mon, dont exaggerate.

And who are the artists on these covers, anyway?

The Batman cover is by Fred Ray and Jerry Robinson. Fred Ray is responsible for, amongst other things, the single most iconic Superman cover of all time (#14) and Jerry Robinson, is, well, Jerry Robinson.