• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My gripe for the day: Sellers who package TOO securely.
3 3

93 posts in this topic

I did not go to medical school and thus, I am not a surgeon.  I feel like there is potentially more risk in disassembling some of these overly taped up raw book shipments than there is with the USPS damaging them, although they are pretty good at damaging shipments themselves.  However, it seems like the kind of damage USPS would most often not be mitigated by the overly secure packaging job. I truly appreciate the care that a seller goes through in keeping the item secure, but it has its limits IMO.

lol I know what you mean. I rarely run into this issue with Ebay sellers but some of the stuff I buy off the CGC boards has so much tape and boxes within boxes, bubble wrap, etc. It's like trying to defuse a Russian nesting doll! The gorillas from the old Samsonite commercials would never be able to damage these comics but, like Oakman said, problems like this I need more of!

6 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Sounds cliche' but better safe than sorry. 

But that's just the thing, I'm not sure it is all that safe.  When you're securing the packing tape at least a dozen times against a cardboard backing, trying to free it from the board and taking off the tape from the comic bag is not an easy task and I could easily see spine stress marks occurring while trying to separate the tape from the comic bag.

10 minutes ago, FSF said:

Folks, I am a delicate butterfly so please do not belittle me.  The struggle is real.

To be honest I've had one seller package a raw that way...and it wasn't even regular tape it was something like masking tape around the book to the cardboard just everywhere. It was a nightmare of stress diffusing the package. Did it eventually turn out okay? Maybe After a cigarette and a cup of coffee later...

1 hour ago, FSF said:

I did not go to medical school and thus, I am not a surgeon.  I feel like there is potentially more risk in disassembling some of these overly taped up raw book shipments than there is with the USPS damaging them, although they are pretty good at damaging shipments themselves.  However, it seems like the kind of damage USPS would most often not be mitigated by the overly secure packaging job. I truly appreciate the care that a seller goes through in keeping the item secure, but it has its limits IMO.

The key is to use painters tape when possible.

...and by the way, I'd much rather be accused of packing too securely than not packing securely enough.

I try to pack things the way I'd like to receive them.

2 hours ago, FSF said:

FU noob

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

...and by the way, I'd much rather be accused of packing too securely than not packing securely enough.

I try to pack things the way I'd like to receive them.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Well, I thought I heard everything around here. You are complaining that someone shipped your package TOO securely?

Thank God for that seller! Who is he so I can buy stuff from him.

I've got my select guys that I buy from, but if he's that good maybe there's room for one more on my list.

I want to be that guy - you never buy anything from me.....,  I'll wrap your package in a full roll of clear tape, interspersed with bubble wrap and packing peanuts, both biodegradable and earth-unfriendly, and ship it to greggy for saucy action, before the final destination is reached! :D

28 minutes ago, FSF said:

But that's just the thing, I'm not sure it is all that safe.  When you're securing the packing tape at least a dozen times against a cardboard backing, trying to free it from the board and taking off the tape from the comic bag is not an easy task and I could easily see spine stress marks occurring while trying to separate the tape from the comic bag.

Use a frickin' knife.

45 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I do think there is an art to packaging securely and still making it easy to disassemble.  While I do think a lot of tape on the external package is a good thing, what's the point of so much tape on the inside ? A single piece of tape on the bubble wrap should be sufficient. It's not like the bubble wrap is going to unwind inside the box without lots of tape. (shrug)

When we want your agenda, Bob, we'll call you.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Use a frickin' knife.

The guy who wrapped mine in a twist had it in a top loader with 2 or 3 strips of masking tape across the opening....it was like a surgeon with an exacto knife scalpel to puncture one hole and steadily make an incision with all the stray pieces of tape cut all ready thats stuck to stray bubble wrap hanging all over.... hahaha

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Use a frickin' knife.

The guy who wrapped mine in a twist had it in a top loader with 2 or 3 strips of masking tape across the opening....it was like a surgeon with an exacto knife scalpel to puncture one hole and steadily make an incision with all the stray pieces of tape cut all ready thats stuck to stray bubble wrap hanging all over.... hahaha

Masking tape?  Man up.