• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Collected Non-Hero GA Title
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I have focused the vast majority of my collection on “non-hero” books.  I did this for two reasons:

1. Most of my favorite books were in other niches.

2. I can’t collect it all so I had to pick a direction and have some focus or I would be all over the place. 

There are so many great publishers with a lot of non-hero stuff.  Dell, Archie, Fiction House, Fox, St John and many more.  

If I had to pick a single TITLE that is the most collected, from what I’ve seen, I can’t tell whether it’s Archie, Walt Disney’s Comics & Stories or maybe Planet Comics. I suspect Planet has a slightly smaller fan base than the first two but they make up for it with enthusiasm. 

What others are legitimate contenders for the most collected non-hero golden age title? Four Color? I’m focusing on most collected but it could be that some Centaur or Fox titles have the most dedicated collector base. 

I’d love to know the answer. I’ve always organized my thoughts more along the nonsuperhero genres, such as GGA, precode horror, funny animal, etc. I collect Centaur, Fox and, most recently Continental. I suspect since Archie has been published continuously longer than any other nonsuperhero that it’s gotta be Archie. I don’t know that the people with these books under their beds or in their closets even recognize themselves as collectors, but I guess they are.  Anyway, my 2 cents

I have a lot of WDCS, Four Color, Lone Ranger, Looney Tunes, War and Romance comics but I think Horror comics probably are the most popular non-hero comics.  Disney collectors used to be in abundance and Duck Four Colors could still be hidden away in many collections but Thing, Vault, Weird Tales of the Future, Crypt and many other horror titles are sold on the open market or bid on privately by a large number of vocal collectors.  Timely/Atlas collectors usually will have more horror in their collection than Tessie or Joker.  EC is probably more popular than Archie but early Archie and Pep are more scarce.  OK, just some thoughts...:blahblah:

Based on looking at auctions, I'd say that the Duck titles (WDC&S, DD and US - which I group together) are the most collected non-superhero titles.  They are ubiquitous and seem to get results. 

Again, looking at auctions, and focusing on genre, not a title, I'd say that pre-Code horror/sf is next, edging out GGA and Romance, after superheroes. 

I would vote for Planet too. Not because I like them or not but because they are VERY popular. Always have been. I do happen to like them a lot and have found that nice copies of most are out of my price range now. This is a good indicator for me.

I would also say most PCH and many GGA books are moving up very fast. So glad, I bought this stuff when I could. :banana:

9 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

Your all wrong, the most collected non super hero title(s) are without peers, any of the EC! ^^ 

Well, that is my choice right now. I love them so much, I'm working on a third set. Luckily, most are readily available in all grades and still obtainable. Best books ever published. I've been reading the war books lately. Almost everyone is a masterpiece. So underrated.