• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inks by Neal or Giordano?

42 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2018 at 5:48 AM, delekkerste said:

Palmer made everyone look their best.   

I think there is a certain romance to believing that top pencillers are also their own best inkers.  In some cases, it is true.  In others, it is not.  I'm not convinced that Adams was his own best inker, though, there's certainly a better case for it than, say, John Buscema being his own best inker (IMO, Big John would struggle to make the top 5 list of his best inkers).  

Romance, shmo-mance. Pencillers are almost always their own best inkers, for obvious reasons, unless they just don't bother to ink. John Buscema is so obviously his own best inker to me that I would have to think you just don't really like Buscema's drawing that much, if you prefer it modified by someone else.

buscema_conan_sketches.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 10:25 AM, stinkininkin said:

It's hard to disagree with most of what you write here Mike, even though we might differ slightly on Adams peak years and evolution of ink styles.  Those differences are subtle, and subjective for the most part.  I will agree with you however, that your bolded quote above is spot on--Adams was a magician with his pencil line.  Best I've ever seen.  Bold and subtle at the same time, with the "edge of the pencil" approach creating a range in nuance, precision and emotion that must have been a real challenge for any who tried their hand at inking him.  I wish more of Neal's pencils had been saved in some format, like those Avengers 93 pencil Xerox's that are reproduced from time to time.  Almost none of his Xmen pencils were saved, and I can't say I've seen much Batman or Green Lantern pencils either.  The Kirby collector was such a great resource of raw Kirby pencils for art aficionado's to experience the King's work in new ways.  Too bad for us Adams enthusiast's that we will never have that same type of resource.

This looks like the perfect moment to post my Heritage win --it's my first Adams piece and I'm so happy:

Adams WOTW pencil.jpg