• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying guidance NEEDED / 6K to invest...
3 3

58 posts in this topic

I need opinions for a near future buy... I am investing around 6k into some bronze age books and I am torn between 2 options... 1. Reach a bit at 5300 for a 9.4 IH 181 and the use the remainder on a 7.5 or so IM 55     2. Grab a 9.0 IH 181 AND a 9.0 ASM 129 with a little change left over. HELP ME, EXPERTS!!!

None of us are really experts in predicting how well key books will do as an investments.  Most "experts" will tell you to not invest in comic book but buy what you like and can afford and hopefully they will go up over time.  If I was to pick I'd go with the CGC 9.0 IH 181 & ASM 129 but that's just because I just don't like the long term outlook for Iron Man 55 compared to the other two books. 

Edited by 1Cool

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

None of us are really experts in predicting how well key books will do as an investments.  Most "experts" will tell you to not invest in comic book but buy what you like and can afford and hopefully they will go us over time.  If I was to pick I'd go with the CGC 9.0 IH 181 & ASM 129 but that's just because I just don't like the long term outlook for Iron Man 55 compared to the other two books. 

+1 :whee:

Thanks!!! I suppose "invest" was a misnomer. My primary aim is not to grow the value and sell, I've just wanted a cherry IH 181 and ASM 129 since I was a kid (not to say I would mind the books increasing in value haha). It's just a pick between the BEST 181 I'll ever be able to afford, or a split for both books at VF/NM... My brain hurts from flip-flopping...

4 minutes ago, mjasonuk30 said:

Thanks!!! I suppose "invest" was a misnomer. My primary aim is not to grow the value and sell, I've just wanted a cherry IH 181 and ASM 129 since I was a kid (not to say I would mind the books increasing in value haha). It's just a pick between the BEST 181 I'll ever be able to afford, or a split for both books at VF/NM... My brain hurts from flip-flopping...

It's really up to you, but if your split between IH and ASM, then buy the IH 181 9.4 skip the IM 55 and save toward an ASM 129 9.0.... weigh it on a scale kind of :) buy what makes you happy!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@mjasonuk30

It would be hard to suggest anything at these price levels....cause God forbid...

but I tend to think that heroes tend to do better in the long run than villains..... ie Punisher still would beat out Thanos?

32 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Buy the highest 181 you can afford and save for the  highest 129 you can afford. Don't straddle the fence. You will want to upgrade at some point and it will drive you mad that you have two books that are not quite what you want instead of at least 1 book you really wanted at the start.

I agree there... 9.0 is clean but 9.4 is an heirloom copy. Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

Buy a 9.8 copy of IH 180.

Ah, someone beat me to it. This is the top pick with those funds. Ensure it is a 9.8 W and then store it. It will appreciate by at least 20% in the next 2 years as collectors are realizing this is Wolverine's first true appearance.

Alternatively, sell some of your collection / take out a small loan and amass enough to obtain a 9.8 W of IH 181. 

Never bother with the lower grades if 9.8 is possible.

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

If in the long term comics are not popular to collect, the extreme buyer's market would make it tough to sell a #180 for a decent price.

I'd put the 6k  into Silver or Golden Age keys instead.

agreed. Get the nicest X-Men 1 (5.0), Hulk 1 (1.0-1.5), or FF 1 (3.0) are some suggestions. Gold wise, you should do well at $6k long term with a Tec 69 (1.5) or Cap 3 (1.0), but those are harder to come by selection wise. But, if you love BA, then the highest grade Hulk 181 would work. I can't say IM 55 is a strong buy compared to the rest of the books mentioned in this post. Have fun hunting. 

On 2/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, mjasonuk30 said:

2. Grab a 9.0 IH 181 AND a 9.0 ASM 129 with a little change left over.

This.

Don't underestimate ASM #129.

Netflix just ordered a second season of Punisher.

So with what you want gets you the number one and number two Bronze Age keys on one swoop.

Hulk 181

ASM 129.

Iron Man 55 will have market correction after Infinity War movie.

Wolverine and Punisher 1st keys both will continue to rise at CGC 9.0

I think you are better off getting books you truly want as that would be an even greater reward.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

If staying strictly within the confines of the Bronze Age why not go to the very start and try for a Captain Marvel #1 or Marvel Super - Heroes #12?

A Silver Surfer #14 would also be nice.

Or, take the less typical route and try for a Swamp Thing #1 + 7, or even a Jimmy Olsen #134.

Think laterally!

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

ASM 129 will always be a better book than IM 55. 

Agreed. My 9.8 W has doubled in value. Having multiples of this issue is a tad boring but a safe investment. 

A truly canny investor only needs 10 - 20 comics at most. Recreational reading can be done on-line.

Anyone with boxes and boxes taking up space still has 80s-90s thinking.