• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying guidance NEEDED / 6K to invest...
3 3

58 posts in this topic

Posted this last night (in the wrong thread)....

I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Nah.  Your digital comics have nothing on the real thing.  The look, feel, smell of an old comic can't be replicated through your blue light emitting landfill device.   The colors, the history of that well traveled book, are all lost on your e-reading.    (I also still prefer owning vinyl/cd's over memory sticks of music).    Just one man's opinion. 

Yes, I appreciate the look and feel as much as the next person. I was, however, talking about attrition. It is inevitable.

cleanest high grade 181 you can get (would 5300 afford a premium 9.4?  book seems to be going up, up and away right this minute).  white pages, perfect wrap, rich colors.  dont let the others sway your opinion.  if a cherry 181 is the book youve always wanted make it happen!

i wouldnt go 9.0 of each 181/129.  they are great books but just too common.  9.2+ for either of them is the way to go.  youd always be able to get a copy and i feel buying a 9.0 is just getting a copy.  good luck

9 hours ago, rainmaker said:

cleanest high grade 181 you can get (would 5300 afford a premium 9.4?  book seems to be going up, up and away right this minute).  white pages, perfect wrap, rich colors.  dont let the others sway your opinion.  if a cherry 181 is the book youve always wanted make it happen!

i wouldnt go 9.0 of each 181/129.  they are great books but just too common.  9.2+ for either of them is the way to go.  youd always be able to get a copy and i feel buying a 9.0 is just getting a copy.  good luck

So....SOOOOOO happy I bought a Hulk 9.2 white pages a few years ago.  It was a childhood dream.  I always had the money just never took the plunge when I had this itch only a CGC case could scratch!

I paid fair price for it but had no idea at the time what a bargain it's now turned out to be. 

I agree with you.  If you buy one it best to purchase a 9.2 or better.     

On 2/18/2018 at 2:03 PM, chrisco37 said:

Posted this last night (in the wrong thread)....

I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

I think hulk 181 was $450-500 by 1994, asm 129 $300-350? They might have been there in 1993.  I briefly owned a pristine 181 in early 1994, so that's why the number rings a bell. Maybe i'm wrong.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

I think hulk 181 was $450-500 by 1994, asm 129 $300-350? They might have been there in 1993.  I briefly owned a pristine 181 in early 1994, so that's why the number rings a bell. Maybe i'm wrong.

Here's a chart I made last year sampled from the various price guides I have around the house. From what I remember, ASM 129 was, at one point, just slightly higher than IH 181 in NM, but clearly the separation started in the early-to-mid-90's. Your memory of the prices seems to be pretty close to what I recorded here....

5a8ebe8ef3737_IH181vsASM129.thumb.jpg.0864d831695a51601d0997e912133fc2.jpg

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Here's a chart I made last year sampled from the various price guides I have around the house. From what I remember, ASM 129 was, at one point, just slightly higher than IH 181 in NM, but clearly the separation started in the early-to-mid-90's. Your memory of the prices seems to be pretty close to what I recorded here....

Wow that sums it up then.  Hulk 181 RULES!

On 2/22/2018 at 7:00 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

Looks like Hugh Jackman really made that book rise!

On 2/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, Knightsofold said:

If in the long term comics are not popular to collect, the extreme buyer's market would make it tough to sell a #180 for a decent price.

I'd put the 6k  into Silver or Golden Age keys instead.

You'll need more than 6k to buy a golden age key  haha  

On 2/22/2018 at 5:00 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

this is awesome, and says alot about the choice. do bear in mind though that the punisher only just now got his tv show. hugh jackman's made wolverine a household name for almost 2 decades. so frank castle may have to play catch up for awhile, but he is likely to close the gap at least somewhat. i do still think wolverine is a better character, and thought so 40 years ago when i was a kid first reading these books. he's dark but lovable, whereas punisher is mostly just a mean badass.