• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying guidance NEEDED / 6K to invest...
3 3

58 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is awesome, and says alot about the choice. do bear in mind though that the punisher only just now got his tv show. hugh jackman's made wolverine a household name for almost 2 decades. so frank castle may have to play catch up for awhile, but he is likely to close the gap at least somewhat. i do still think wolverine is a better character, and thought so 40 years ago when i was a kid first reading these books. he's dark but lovable, whereas punisher is mostly just a mean badass. 

Yeah, but the two books took separate paths way before the X-movies. Punisher as a character just has a much lower ceiling and he'd really hit it by the mid-90's. There's only so much you can do with him and, for that matter, his villains.  I'm guessing part of the early 2000's bump for 129 was due to Ennis's run, which really reinvigorated the character, as well as the introduction of CGC/ebay which boosted the hobby in general. The 2002-2015 rise looks equally steady for the two books, but 2015-2017 sees a far sharper rise for 181, so I don't think you can really pin too much of this on Jack Man. I think a lot of the recent surge goes hand-in-hand with the crazy AF 15 push recently where people have now settled on IH 181 as the single Bronze Age book to own in the same way that the hobby has currently settled on AF 15 as the SA key.

Is Wolverine still dead? I really don't even know.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, mjasonuk30 said:

I need opinions for a near future buy... I am investing around 6k into some bronze age books and I am torn between 2 options... 1. Reach a bit at 5300 for a 9.4 IH 181 and the use the remainder on a 7.5 or so IM 55     2. Grab a 9.0 IH 181 AND a 9.0 ASM 129 with a little change left over. HELP ME, EXPERTS!!!

1. What is your investment timeframe?
2. Are you "investing" or "speculating"?
3. What is your risk tolerance?
4. What is your baseline rate of return?

Answer those questions and I can answer yours.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:45 AM, mjasonuk30 said:

I need opinions for a near future buy... I am investing around 6k into some bronze age books and I am torn between 2 options... 1. Reach a bit at 5300 for a 9.4 IH 181 and the use the remainder on a 7.5 or so IM 55     2. Grab a 9.0 IH 181 AND a 9.0 ASM 129 with a little change left over. HELP ME, EXPERTS!!!

Beware of the same people who were offering "buy" advice on bitcoin.

Prices on Comics are at historic highs. Run don't walk away from buying right now

Nice time to be building cash reserves for the inevitable corrections.

10 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I would buy a CGC 9.4 Hulk #181 and then buy lesser keys with the potential for a rise, like Nova #1, Ms Marvel #1, Avengers Annual #10.

Why Avengers Annual #10?  First appearance of Rogue?

I agree with the above, get the IH 181 and call it a day.  I'm been searching for a mid grade one recently and already see the prices increasing weekly.  Kicking myself for not jumping a few months ago!

Maybe I am in the minority on this but with the price of IH 181 going up right now like Bitcoin did last year, I kinda like the idea of an SW 1 35 cent variant on that 6k budget if you can snag one for the right price.  Very scarce, a grail, and a brand name that is cemented in culture.  Then again this is the collector in me speaking as well, it is hard for me to look at comics purely as an investment.  

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, mjasonuk30 said:

Forget Bronze Age.  Save a bit more and buy a low grade AF 15.