• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lithograph / Poster : Question

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

got a quick question about lithographs and hope to get a better understanding after hearing from you guys.

For example there are great lithographs from Charles Vess featuring Spider-Man and Black Cat.

Some are limited to 2500 prints but you find also the same print with a smaller run, for example 150 pieces or even 75.

They all come with some sort of certification and are signed by Vess.

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

Hi,

got a quick question about lithographs and hope to get a better understanding after hearing from you guys.

For example there are great lithographs from Charles Vess featuring Spider-Man and Black Cat.

Some are limited to 2500 prints but you find also the same print with a smaller run, for example 150 pieces or even 75.

They all come with some sort of certification and are signed by Vess.

I had these as a teen - they came from 'first team press' if i recall correctly. there were other cool prints by : curt swan, kaluta, jim lee, bob kane and others. 

the Vess black cat ones are really pretty.  the vess signatures should be real.

the images attached - looks like it had a stan lee signature added - but my prints are in storage so can't say for sure if that was added later or it came with them all.

vess.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

heheh, he's got you there.   There's no actual question in the OP...

Well then....the answer is obviously....Maybe!

Come on, all i had to do is to put a question mark behind the sentence, but ok....we all made a joke about it.
So what is the difference between the 2500 or the limited to 75 ?

And before you guys come up with...the difference is the run, that is not what i meant.

How come an artist signs a limited run of 2500 or 75, other than the amount it is the same ?

Some are called AP, what does this stand for ?

First off I genuinely had no idea what your question was 

AP It’s short for artists proof basically a set number of prints that the artist gets to ensure that it looks like the way they want and also a perk for them to sell

Edited by Bird

17 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

all good and i didn't want to sound pissed or anything.

i was / am just hoping that someone can give me all the intel on these lithographs.

AP as artist proof makes sense, but 75 of one print ?

That was a question :)...just kidding.

Typically AP size represents about 10% of the numbered run size. So 75 is actually light ;)

Not to say that First Team (or any other comic book fanbase publisher) gives a fig about this stuff, but for more on fine art printmaking/standards: http://www.ifpda.org/glossary

for me it is really not about what they are valued, and clearly i did not ask about that :)...just kidding.

but be honest, they look nice and if they are framed they are quite impressive and fit great into a regular living room.

at least that is my opinion. i once bought two of the bob kane ones simply because they are huge, colorful and look good.

and honestly, whether they are worth 50 or 150, it does not matter.

framed they look great. i have about 20 comic cover pieces framed on the wall, the majority is black and white with for example a joe jusko on between.

so a nice large color piece, lithograph or not, looks great.

in my humble opinion of course.

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

for me it is really not about what they are valued, and clearly i did not ask about that :)...just kidding.

but be honest, they look nice and if they are framed they are quite impressive and fit great into a regular living room.

at least that is my opinion. i once bought two of the bob kane ones simply because they are huge, colorful and look good.

and honestly, whether they are worth 50 or 150, it does not matter.

framed they look great. i have about 20 comic cover pieces framed on the wall, the majority is black and white with for example a joe jusko on between.

so a nice large color piece, lithograph or not, looks great.

in my humble opinion of course.

Is this in response to my post or just in general? My linking to IFPDA was to help you self-educate on the subject of printmaking, not value.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

This is a pretty funny thread.

If you don't care about the value of it, why bother getting an artist's proof? Save money and get a regular poster or print. The selection is also better. 

Well that was one funny response....:roflmao:..

A poster looks by far not as nice as a lithograph, starting with the quality of the paper and the printing, but heck if you don’t care, I agree...why bother get a poster.

But to me it matters. To me the lithographs look much nicer than a plain poster.Simple as that.

Value is, as I wrote and some think that is funny as well, not the issue.
I simply wanted to understand who prints lithographs, why are some signed, what’s the deal with the certificates of authenticity that all look different, the normal quantities that are printed, and so on, but i guess i will do my own research.

All good :)

20 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

I simply wanted to understand who prints lithographs, why are some signed, what’s the deal with the certificates of authenticity that all look different, the normal quantities that are printed, and so on, but i guess i will do my own research.

I don't think your ire is directed at me, but to be fair every publisher and often every print run even with the same publisher will have pretty different answers to those questions. It's just the way it is, the art world is largely unorganized and unregulated, including printmaking. There's no one answer covering all to any of those questions. Not really even a "normal".

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

I don't think your ire is directed at me, but to be fair every publisher and often every print run even with the same publisher will have pretty different answers to those questions. It's just the way it is, the art world is largely unorganized and unregulated, including printmaking. There's no one answer covering all to any of those questions. Not really even a "normal".

There is nor ire...really all good !

thanks for your response and exactly that is how it seems to me, unorganized and confusing, that’s why I had asked.

10 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Well that was one funny response....:roflmao:..

A poster looks by far not as nice as a lithograph, starting with the quality of the paper and the printing, but heck if you don’t care, I agree...why bother get a poster.

But to me it matters. To me the lithographs look much nicer than a plain poster.Simple as that.

Value is, as I wrote and some think that is funny as well, not the issue.

All good :)

Are they lithographic prints? There are lots of different types of printing methods and you can get a really nice image with a good giclee print.

10 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Are they lithographic prints? There are lots of different types of printing methods and you can get a really nice image with a good giclee print.

The two that were posted by Vess are lithographs. The lower price point and production method would have been offset (most likely). It was the 1980s or early 90s that this stuff was popular. Long before digital technology was capable of mass producing print media at a consumer friendly price point. Digital use was out there in the 90s, notable user were (are) Rick Berry and (sorry!) the other guy that was in his studio for a while that did a number of Star Wars book covers. Can't remember his name but I'm sure Seffinga could if he bumps into this thread. But their only output to collectors was fine art for big money, not large run production prints.