• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Comiclink Winter Featured Auction (Ends Mar 9)
1 1

177 posts in this topic

Question for those knowledgeable in matters pertaining to Miller DD...currently, the DD 190 splash is already at $10.5K on Clink, but how much of the art on this page is actually Miller?  I mean, I'm interested, but only if Millers blood, sweat, and Tears went into this page.

i recall a thread about this circulated a year or two ago, but am unable to find it.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Question for those knowledgeable in matters pertaining to Miller DD...currently, the DD 190 splash is already at $10.5K on Clink, but how much of the art on this page is actually Miller?  I mean, I'm interested, but only if Millers blood, sweat, and Tears went into this page.

i recall a thread about this circulated a year or two ago, but am unable to find it.

Cue Alex Johnson :)

Malvin

On 2/18/2018 at 11:16 PM, Mr. Machismo said:

Hush cover moving strong, quick. Already exceeded my estimate. 

I hear Jim Lee is bidding it up because he can't stand the thought of any of his Hush covers selling for less than the Capullo Bats #1 cover. :insane:

25 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

No Miller pencils or inks on the board, but, he did do detailed pencil layouts on separate, smaller sheets of paper that Janson closely followed to create this piece.

I think the stigma attached to the DD #185-190 pages that were created in this manner has lessened over time, especially as pics have surfaced showing that the composition is 100% Miller's, even if Janson was the one to blow up those smaller layouts onto the full-sized boards himself (again:  Miller's pencils never touched this board).  Also, I think some of the younger collectors just don't care as much about the distinction. 2c  

Edited by delekkerste

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I hear Jim Lee is bidding it up because he can't stand the thought of any of his Hush covers selling for less than the Capullo Bats #1 cover. :insane:

Incorrect, you neophyte.   I'M bidding it up to juice up the market so I can cash in on all my Hush art.  And there's still lots of room to grow.

:idea: 

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Jeez.   47k with 17 days left?  Yikes

Didn't all of these covers go for a heft sum when Albert sold them years ago? Going off of memory, but I thought they were priced in the mid-20's more than 10 years ago. 

Just now, stinkininkin said:

Incorrect, you neophyte.   I'M bidding it up to juice up the market so I can cash in on all my Hush art.  And there's still lots of room to grow.

:idea: 

AG8EJ.gif

47 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

No Miller pencils or inks on the board, but, he did do detailed pencil layouts on separate, smaller sheets of paper that Janson closely followed to create this piece.

I think the stigma attached to the DD #185-190 pages that were created in this manner has lessened over time, especially as pics have surfaced showing that the composition is 100% Miller's, even if Janson was the one to blow up those smaller layouts onto the full-sized boards himself (again:  Miller's pencils never touched this board).  Also, I think some of the younger collectors just don't care as much about the distinction. 2c  

I also think Janson gets overlooked, somewhat, for the mood and texture of the look of those Miller Daredevil issues. He's recognized as a talented artist in his own right.

22 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, I for one would be proud and happy to own a Janson DD page from that run. I loved those books when they came out. I didn’t see much of any of a drop off in the artistic storytelling. 

For me, personally, it has to be Miller detailed pencils on the boards, otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in paying Miller prices on a non-Miller page.

would folks be as inclined to pay Kirby prices on an FF page that was actually light boxed by Ayers?  Or Sinnott?  I don't think so.

and I'm not taking anything away from Janson... he was a great inker and decent penciler back in the day.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

For me, personally, it has to be Miller detailed pencils on the boards, otherwise I have no interest whatsoever in paying Miller prices on a non-Miller page.

would folks be as inclined to pay Kirby prices on an FF page that was actually light boxed by Ayers?  Or Sinnott?  I don't think so.

and I'm not taking anything away from Janson... he was a great inker and decent penciler back in the day.

Not saying I’d pay Miller prices. Just that I’d be happy to own a Janson DD page from that historic run. 

Posted this in another thread, but only a few days in and I'm already maxed on all but one item. I'm not a big wheel, so usually the pieces I'm interested in are a slow burn, taking off on the last day, or last hours/minutes. But it seems like, this time everything took off like a shot right away. Maybe the Hush cover brought more bidders around than usual? Kinda bummed because a couple of things I was pretty sure I'd have a shot at, based on similar recent sales, but I may be going home empty handed this time.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

But it seems like, this time everything took off like a shot right away.

Been thinking about this, as I noticed the same thing on what I'm interested in - across the board, at/over fmv already. Maybe it's price discovery push (and lot elimination?) to free up bidding funds for HA which ends this week?