• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Comiclink Winter Featured Auction (Ends Mar 9)
1 1

177 posts in this topic

Well, this auction was a mixed bag. Some strong results here and there, a few at fmv....and then a lot of pieces @ circa 2013 pricing. 

The auction looked downright cheap compared to the craziness at heritage a couple weeks ago.

A late Friday closing along with a million without power in the northeast at some point this past week may have had something to do with it.

Finally does anyone else enjoy winning from clink as much as I do? I love the COMICLINK WINNING BIDDER NOTIFICATION in all caps that pops up in my email after the lots close.

I hope a lot of boardies got some of the deals!

2 hours ago, Claudio said:

I thought the Byrne Superman piece would do better because of the outstanding results from the Nov Clink auction.  However, those pieces were superior despite being splashes

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1235415

not sure if those other pieces were superior artistically, but context/subject wise- you may be right.

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

The Turtle cover was at market. Example with multiple turtles go for more no turtles for less but that piece was about right

Under 1k for a Harley Quinn v1 cover with a large image of her was a really poor result I thought. Took some discipline for me not to impulse bid on it.

I collect Harley art from that run - and that cover didn't do anything for me. Even though the price was low - I am trying not to bid on anything that I really like artistically or have strong nostalgia for.

9 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I collect Harley art from that run - and that cover didn't do anything for me. Even though the price was low - I am trying not to bid on anything that I really like artistically or have strong nostalgia for.

Didn’t love it by any means, but at 700 it is almost a “your making me buy it price” to me a large cover image of a popular character from her v1 run for 3 figures is a deal.

1 hour ago, Greenlake said:

I ended the night by helping knock the Batman: The Cult page up the last $166 as the underbidder. Whoever it is here that owned it can give me a cut. :wink:

Empty-handed for the evening, but at least the numbers mostly made sense to me -- unlike the HA event auction.

That's me! Thanks 

My Marshall Rogers batman finished very bleh though 

And I won something that I did not expect to with that vid.  But sure if that is good or bad :p

Malvin 

Now that auction truly is over.

I am stand by my previous post that the steal of the auction was the Bryan Hitch Captain America Reborn #1 DPS Cover for $2,150.  I wish I had bid.  

- major storyline.  First cap is killed, now you have to bring him back.

- issue #1's are always in demand.

- wrap around DPS cover.  When it comes to art, bigger usually is better.  

- Bryan Hitch is a top name in the industry and a great artist.

- The cover was originally priced and sold by Brian's rep for $10K when the book came out.

- the cover was sold for a premium a few years later.

The seller's loss was the buyer's gain.  Congratulations to the buyer.  Condolences to the seller.

Cheers!

N.

Moving on ...

I also thought the Steve Epting Captain America cover went cheap.

Your average collector may have overlooked it because there was no image of Captain America or Bucky / Winter Soldier on the cover.

- it is the collaboration of creative team Brubaker (writer) / Epting (artist).  After 10 years, it is widely considered one of the greatest story arcs of Captain America.  Epting's art on the run is fantastic.

- the Winter Soldier part I was adapted as a Hollywood movie.  There is always a premium for any connection with a movie.

- in comics lore, the shield of Captain America was always to be treated the same manner as the American flag - with respect.  The fact that the shield was left on the floor laying on rubble as the city is ablaze is purely symbolic.  You would never burn an American flag and leave it lying on the floor.  It's the ultimate sign of disrespect and the cover was preparing readers for what was about to come.  So while there is no image of Captain America or the Winter Soldier, the published cover with the bright red colored background just made the hairs on your arm stand up ( or was that your Spidey senses?).  You think to yourself "What happened to Cap?".

For full disclosure, I do own an Epting Captain America cover and am obviously a fan.

Congratulations to the buyer.

Cheers!

N.

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Now that auction truly is over.

I am stand by my previous post that the steal of the auction was the Bryan Hitch Captain America Reborn #1 DPS Cover for $2,150.  I wish I had bid.  

- major storyline.  First cap is killed, now you have to bring him back.

- issue #1's are always in demand.

- wrap around DPS cover.  When it comes to art, bigger usually is better.  

- Bryan Hitch is a top name in the industry and a great artist.

- The cover was originally priced and sold by Brian's rep for $10K when the book came out.

The seller's loss was the buyer's gain.  Congratulations to the buyer.  Condolences to the seller.

Cheers!

N.

Thanks for the back story.  I too wax watching it - but the mote time passes - the less I enjoy Hitch's art. Not sure why -  but thats why I kept away in the end.

Re: cap shield cover  - while its cool conceptually - I for one buy art with characters I like. Not graphic design or concept pieces. You are right about it being a great tin though.

I threw in what I thought was a low bid on the Ramos Prime cover and got it for $300. I can't remember the last time I got a cover for $300. I realize it's Prime, but still... Considering it is being put with pieces I've won from other auctions and therefore will save on shipping, I'm happy to have it at that price. Loved Prime.

3 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Wow. Overpriced at source. Not based on what it went for last night as a comp though, but rather for "what it is". Nice but...there's tons of "nice" out there. Does it make anyone physically salivate as some pieces do? No. But it's nice. I could see it at $4500 or so live and $6500 (and sitting for a while) on a reseller site. But never, ever, ever would I see $10k as anything other than predatory source pricing, where it's take it or leave it as the source has no cost basis and only the overhead of whatever % the rep takes out. Even throwing out all $10k++ nonsense the buyer did well. Against my numbers. Consignor had no protection "friends" doing any bidding?

A few random thoughts and observations about this auction:

1.  I like the shift to Friday evening end date much better than the Tuesday's of past auctions as it gives me time to unwind after a busy work week and I don't mind staying up later knowing that I can leverage some of my Saturday morning to sleep in, so kudos to Clink for making this change

2.  I can't speak for others, but for me this auction had only a few items that went below FMV, some that surprised the outta me above FMV, but the vast majority were in the middle of the FMV range

Some sales of interest:

• Sal Buscema NM page.  Umm, I don't think that I'm the only one left scratching their head about this result.  I mean, wow, congrats to the seller on this result, and I'm thinking if this sale will prompt more NM pages to appear on the market
  • Sal Buscema Spec Spidey splash.  As amazed as I am by the NM result, I am likewise amazed at how cheap this splash went.  Definitely a steal!
  • Byrne Marvel Preview/Starlord page.  At first, I thought this was a very strong price for this page, given its content.  Then, I started thinking about the popularity of Starlord, and GotG and their continued presence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, comics, merchandising, etc., and then I starting thinking that maybe this isn't such a surprising result after all?
  • Byrne She-Hulk DPS.  I really like this one.  I don't mind the Duotone board, but I am cognizant of the fact that others don't like it at all.  Still, with the popularity of She-Hulk, and increasing prices of Byrne art from this era, I was thinking this was an easy $5K sale, and maybe as much as $6K if our Pre-Hero Marvels lovers has anything to say about it.
  • Nick Cardy Aquaman #22p11 = $975.  For most DC collectors, Nick Cardy is perhaps best known for his work on Aquaman and this page features Aquaman throughout, is on twice-up board and sold for a paltry $975???  I suppose folks were focused on the 1st appearance of Mera page and didn't pay much attention to this page.  A good buy for the new owner.
  • Ron Frenz FF 326 = $13.5K.  This cover features the FF vs the Frightful Four and is a solid representation of an FF cover from the era.  Published in 1989, this cover is nearing the 30-year mark and collectors should take note that covers/art circa 1990 - early 90's are starting to take flight.  Get them while they are still (relatively) affordable.
  • Carmine Infantino Nova page.  This one had a lot of Nova content yet it sold for around $500, which is a significant discount compared to other pages of similar content by this artist.  I can only speculate that collectors who normally purchase this title/artist did not care for the inks by "The Tribe"
  • Gil Kane MTU #6 page = $1.4K.  A page with a lot of Spidey throughout, this page usually sells closer to $2K so the new owner got a 30% discount
  • Irv Novick Batman 227p6 = $2.65K.  A decent page with Giordano inks, I believe, yet I can't help but wonder how much of the $2.65K is attributed to popularity and prestige of Classic Neal Adams homage cover associated with this issue?  $1K?  perhaps $1.5K?
  •  Mike Parobeck Batman Adventures #28 cover.  Approximately 10 years ago, the focus of my collection centered around Batman Animated series art and I owned several covers from various titles, but never this cover.  I was so certain it would crack $10K.  It didn't, but it sure came close.  And in comparison, the Batman Adventures #32 splash was a bargain, at just $381!
  • George Perez Superman #3 cover = $1.2K.  Seriously?  A Perez cover for $1.2K??  From Superman???  From the New 52???? for $1.2K...crazy!
  • Marshall Rogers Spider-Man 28 cover did very well.  In fact, double what I expected it to go for given other examples of Marshall Rogers Spidey covers, perhaps to the detriment of the BLOTDK pages
  • Alex Ross Kingdom Come cover Prelim painting and Totleben Swamp Thing 64 cover prelim painting.  Each went for approximately $5.1K and I must confess I never expected to see prices anywhere near that for prelims.