• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Comiclink Winter Featured Auction (Ends Mar 9)
1 1

177 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

• Nick Cardy Aquaman #22p11 = $975.  For most DC collectors, Nick Cardy is perhaps best known for his work on Aquaman and this page features Aquaman throughout, is on twice-up board and sold for a paltry $975???  I suppose folks were focused on the 1st appearance of Mera page and didn't pay much attention to this page.  A good buy for the new owner.

Ok, I totally missed this piece. I would have bid 1500 or so if I had noticed it. Nice 2up page from mid silver age? A great piece for a paltry 3 figure price.

•  Mike Parobeck Batman Adventures #28 cover.  Approximately 10 years ago, the focus of my collection centered around Batman Animated series art and I owned several covers from various titles, but never this cover.  I was so certain it would crack $10K.  It didn't, but it sure came close.  And in comparison, the Batman Adventures #32 splash was a bargain, at just $381!

I should have bid on this stronger.  I am looking at it today and shaking my head when I see the end price. Steal of the auction. 

• Alex Ross Kingdom Come cover Prelim painting and Totleben Swamp Thing 64 cover prelim painting.  Each went for approximately $5.1K and I must confess I never expected to see prices anywhere near that for prelims. 

High prices, but boy were they nice. 

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Wow. Overpriced at source. Not based on what it went for last night as a comp though, but rather for "what it is". Nice but...there's tons of "nice" out there. Does it make anyone physically salivate as some pieces do? No. But it's nice. I could see it at $4500 or so live and $6500 (and sitting for a while) on a reseller site. But never, ever, ever would I see $10k as anything other than predatory source pricing, where it's take it or leave it as the source has no cost basis and only the overhead of whatever % the rep takes out. Even throwing out all $10k++ nonsense the buyer did well. Against my numbers. Consignor had no protection "friends" doing any bidding?

2 places you def need "friends"

In prison and protecting your OA in auction. Ha! 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Huh. This is new, used to be pages from this book were $300-$400, tops, and with better content even.

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1236626

CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #5 PAGE 41 - The Auction Has Ended

1981, Cap Battles a Golden Shower

Current Bid: $1,355
Number Of Bids: 47 history.gif

RADD3C42201825_125843.jpg

Golden Shower is rumored to be the major villain in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. This pumped up sales price as a future investment.

How serious are you guys when you talk about "friends" protecting auction prices?  In the last minute and a half of the auction I placed five separate bids on the Starlin battle page and drove it up enormously.  Each time I thought i put in a knock out offer i was out bid by $250, so I assume there was only one other bidder (no, I did not win the piece).  Someone obviously put in a really high bid as I was forced to drop out.  I thought the hammer price was crazy high and have no idea how high it would have gone had i stayed in.  I am not accusing Comiclink of anything and I don't have sour grapes over it, but if anyone has thoughts on that piece i would love to hear them.  Feel free to PM me privately if you wish.  Thanks. 

23 hours ago, Claudio said:

Wouldn’t touch this in a million years.

Can’t believe many bidders were confident enough to pay that much. It’s not very attractive either, an inked piece would be preferable to “his” painting. The art really isn’t certified , just his signature, with nothing about the origin of the piece. 

2c

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

1 hour ago, inovrmihd said:

How serious are you guys when you talk about "friends" protecting auction prices?  In the last minute and a half of the auction I placed five separate bids on the Starlin battle page and drove it up enormously.  Each time I thought i put in a knock out offer i was out bid by $250, so I assume there was only one other bidder (no, I did not win the piece).  Someone obviously put in a really high bid as I was forced to drop out.  I thought the hammer price was crazy high and have no idea how high it would have gone had i stayed in.  I am not accusing Comiclink of anything and I don't have sour grapes over it, but if anyone has thoughts on that piece i would love to hear them.  Feel free to PM me privately if you wish.  Thanks. 

The last bids were both 20,000, which means that was the top bid and a dollar more would've won it.

I don't really know anything about manipulation of auctions, except that my previous comment about helping someone's item was just a joke.

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Huh. This is new, used to be pages from this book were $300-$400, tops, and with better content even.

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1236626

CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #5 PAGE 41 - The Auction Has Ended

1981, Cap Battles a Golden Shower

Number Of Bids: 47 history.gif

RADD3C42201825_125843.jpg

Here's the bid history from $400 up. My estimate on this would be about $650 in today's market on a dealer site, but maybe as much as $900 (and it will sit for a while too). And that's about the auction range too It's Cap in costume, in action, by Colan, but no villain. Just sand. And it's an annual not the main book. Cap by Colan (sixties and seventies) people do want, but from Annual #5 1981...not especially. Many panels too, not even "splashy". Everything looks good to me through $808 (somebody gettin' a bit excited or playing at price discovery, sure thing)  until that outlier $1100 bid later afternoon of 03/09 aka auction day. Maybe it's innocent, maybe not. If not, you're looking at a floor being put in. Right, who knows? You know when the next one comes up that isn't 'protected' and it goes for $650 or so. Doesn't happen every time you coud suspect (like here) but it probably happens on a lot of things that nobody suspects. And you see the inflations happen one auction and then a few more come out the next auction and the consignor moans that they only got half previous. And that's because they don't have "friends".

Auction History

CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #5 PAGE 41 viewdetails.gif

Condition: Any condition
Starts At: $1

3/9/2018 8:11:51 PM ET  $1,355
3/9/2018 8:11:06 PM ET  $1,255
3/9/2018 8:11:06 PM ET  $1,208
3/9/2018 8:00:09 PM ET  $1,108
3/9/2018 8:00:09 PM ET  $1,008
3/9/2018 7:59:55 PM ET  $958
3/9/2018 7:59:55 PM ET  $908
3/9/2018 5:43:12 PM ET  $858
3/9/2018 4:31:48 PM ET  $1,100
3/8/2018 9:03:22 PM ET  $808
3/8/2018 2:52:06 AM ET  $763
3/8/2018 1:31:30 AM ET  $650
3/7/2018 7:24:46 PM ET  $550
3/7/2018 7:24:46 PM ET  $505
3/6/2018 9:05:48 PM ET  $450
3/6/2018 9:05:48 PM ET  $425
3/4/2018 8:57:18 PM ET  $400

12 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

A few random thoughts and observations about this auction:

1.  I like the shift to Friday evening end date much better than the Tuesday's of past auctions as it gives me time to unwind after a busy work week and I don't mind staying up later knowing that I can leverage some of my Saturday morning to sleep in, so kudos to Clink for making this change

2.  I can't speak for others, but for me this auction had only a few items that went below FMV, some that surprised the outta me above FMV, but the vast majority were in the middle of the FMV range

Some sales of interest:

• Sal Buscema NM page.  Umm, I don't think that I'm the only one left scratching their head about this result.  I mean, wow, congrats to the seller on this result, and I'm thinking if this sale will prompt more NM pages to appear on the market
  • Sal Buscema Spec Spidey splash.  As amazed as I am by the NM result, I am likewise amazed at how cheap this splash went.  Definitely a steal!
  • Byrne Marvel Preview/Starlord page.  At first, I thought this was a very strong price for this page, given its content.  Then, I started thinking about the popularity of Starlord, and GotG and their continued presence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, comics, merchandising, etc., and then I starting thinking that maybe this isn't such a surprising result after all?
  • Byrne She-Hulk DPS.  I really like this one.  I don't mind the Duotone board, but I am cognizant of the fact that others don't like it at all.  Still, with the popularity of She-Hulk, and increasing prices of Byrne art from this era, I was thinking this was an easy $5K sale, and maybe as much as $6K if our Pre-Hero Marvels lovers has anything to say about it.
  • Nick Cardy Aquaman #22p11 = $975.  For most DC collectors, Nick Cardy is perhaps best known for his work on Aquaman and this page features Aquaman throughout, is on twice-up board and sold for a paltry $975???  I suppose folks were focused on the 1st appearance of Mera page and didn't pay much attention to this page.  A good buy for the new owner.
  • Ron Frenz FF 326 = $13.5K.  This cover features the FF vs the Frightful Four and is a solid representation of an FF cover from the era.  Published in 1989, this cover is nearing the 30-year mark and collectors should take note that covers/art circa 1990 - early 90's are starting to take flight.  Get them while they are still (relatively) affordable.
  • Carmine Infantino Nova page.  This one had a lot of Nova content yet it sold for around $500, which is a significant discount compared to other pages of similar content by this artist.  I can only speculate that collectors who normally purchase this title/artist did not care for the inks by "The Tribe"
  • Gil Kane MTU #6 page = $1.4K.  A page with a lot of Spidey throughout, this page usually sells closer to $2K so the new owner got a 30% discount
  • Irv Novick Batman 227p6 = $2.65K.  A decent page with Giordano inks, I believe, yet I can't help but wonder how much of the $2.65K is attributed to popularity and prestige of Classic Neal Adams homage cover associated with this issue?  $1K?  perhaps $1.5K?
  •  Mike Parobeck Batman Adventures #28 cover.  Approximately 10 years ago, the focus of my collection centered around Batman Animated series art and I owned several covers from various titles, but never this cover.  I was so certain it would crack $10K.  It didn't, but it sure came close.  And in comparison, the Batman Adventures #32 splash was a bargain, at just $381!
  • George Perez Superman #3 cover = $1.2K.  Seriously?  A Perez cover for $1.2K??  From Superman???  From the New 52???? for $1.2K...crazy!
  • Marshall Rogers Spider-Man 28 cover did very well.  In fact, double what I expected it to go for given other examples of Marshall Rogers Spidey covers, perhaps to the detriment of the BLOTDK pages
  • Alex Ross Kingdom Come cover Prelim painting and Totleben Swamp Thing 64 cover prelim painting.  Each went for approximately $5.1K and I must confess I never expected to see prices anywhere near that for prelims. 

Spider Man 28 Marshall Rogers:Was listed on ebay and was at $600 with just over a day to go. The seller posted frantically to potential bidders that he was being hounded by people telling him his cover wasn't real. They pointed to the fact that a picture of the back of the art showed a white backing that didn't appear to be consistent with the age of the art and that it had no stamp.The owner wanted everyone to know that the backing was actually the art sized envelope the art came in and that he wanted to show or add more pics but ebay wasn't allowing him to. Suddenly the auction ended...and a few weeks later I saw the same cover listed in the preview for C-LINK auction that just sold for $9600. 1) did someone get a great deal off the ebay seller privately and wisely sell for huge profit? Did the owner get wise and make bank? Did the  hounding of bidders confused or otherwise coerce the buyer to end the auction early and sacrifice the piece out of frustration? Somebody knows. The Q and A dialog that ebay permits between the seller and potential bidders during auctions was how I saw this play out.

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Spider Man 28 Marshall Rogers:Was listed on ebay and was at $600 with just over a day to go. The seller posted frantically to potential bidders that he was being hounded by people telling him his cover wasn't real. They pointed to the fact that a picture of the back of the art showed a white backing that didn't appear to be consistent with the age of the art and that it had no stamp.The owner wanted everyone to know that the backing was actually the art sized envelope the art came in and that he wanted to show or add more pics but ebay wasn't allowing him to. Suddenly the auction ended...and a few weeks later I saw the same cover listed in the preview for C-LINK auction that just sold for $9600. 1) did someone get a great deal off the ebay seller privately and wisely sell for huge profit? Did the owner get wise and make bank? Did the  hounding of bidders confused or otherwise coerce the buyer to end the auction early and sacrifice the piece out of frustration? Somebody knows. The Q and A dialog that ebay permits between the seller and potential bidders during auctions was how I saw this play out.

I got this more than 23 years ago ether at the ny art expo or a comic book store it's one of a kind

Your previous message

Hey this is really cool.What's the history behind this art? Super neat

Spiderman Origenal Art

Spiderman Origenal Art  
Current Bid: $160.50
Auction ends Oct 22, 2017 19:44 PDT
Bids: 16
ITEM[itemId].watchCount watchers
Place bid

3 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I got this more than 23 years ago ether at the ny art expo or a comic book store it's one of a kind

Your previous message

Hey this is really cool.What's the history behind this art? Super neat

Spiderman Origenal Art

Spiderman Origenal Art  
Current Bid: $160.50
Auction ends Oct 22, 2017 19:44 PDT
Bids: 16
ITEM[itemId].watchCount watchers
Place bid

Original comic art Marvin

On Oct-16-17 at 18:21:47 PDT, seller added the following information:

Just added two photos of what was found on the back of art checking if there where water marks and its clean yellow under the word gun is glue it's all good

On Oct-16-17 at 18:57:25 PDT, seller added the following information:

Its all original 1993 just found on the back you will see more photos no water marks it's all good

On Oct-18-17 at 07:05:53 PDT, seller added the following information:

Let's begin with I took art out of paper mat there is no water marks and found yes a brown envelope with a copy of nov 28 with 30th anniversary 1962 1992 great piece no water marks the one photo shows envelope taped to the back of the art work

On Oct-18-17 at 20:39:26 PDT, seller added the following information:

The original art is about twice the size of comic the art on the back I will include

On Oct-19-17 at 09:59:51 PDT, seller added the following information:

Artwork measures 11 by 16 inches not including the mat

On Oct-20-17 at 13:09:28 PDT, seller added the following information:

Who ever win has to pick up there are no returns I will have it authenticated if you want so it's real you pay no retread

On Oct-20-17 at 16:30:49 PDT, seller added the following information:

The understanding of my last words are a few miss spelled words I said something and someone withdrew a bid how are we both protected with real or fake I got this from a veteran comic book owner I got this over 20 years ago I think comic art has rocketed up I am looking at it now the words there's something is glued on the Mariel top left glued on Spider-Man glued on there's blue marker black marker and pencil you feel raised ink I want this to go smooth with the one who win I will ship to the winner I Hope honesty there is so much to this amazing piece there is white out on the art the I want to ad photos but can't the person who withdrew was because I said pickup I am putting it in Gods hands it's real you can't do this and call it a counterfeit good luck I wish I could hand deliver it thanks

3 hours ago, Greenlake said:

The last bids were both 20,000, which means that was the top bid and a dollar more would've won it.

I don't really know anything about manipulation of auctions, except that my previous comment about helping someone's item was just a joke.

My final bid was 20k, but the other bidder was also 20k and higher in the pecking order.  This was in the final seconds of the auction and I gave up, having bid far more than i intended to.  Had I bid 20.250k , or any higher increment, I might have been immediately notified I had been outbid, as I was with all my other bids.  The other bidder had clearly placed a secret maximum bid that was at least 20k but may have been much higher, and I said "screw it" and dropped out.  Comiclink is not like HA where they go up by minimum increments.

3 hours ago, inovrmihd said:

Had I bid 20.250k , or any higher increment, I might have been immediately notified I had been outbid, as I was with all my other bids.  The other bidder had clearly placed a secret maximum bid that was at least 20k but may have been much higher, and I said "screw it" and dropped out.  Comiclink is not like HA where they go up by minimum increments.

That's incorrect. If you bid and the earlier bidder beats you but the new highest bid is less than a full increment above your bid, that means it's their maximum bid entered. The pair of 20,000 and 20,000 bids isn't like the earlier pairs of bids where the other person's bid is one increment above yours; that's because 20k was both your maxes. If you'd have placed a new bid for 20,250 or bid 20,001 instead of 20,000 you'd have been in the lead.

3/9/2018 11:17:57 PM ET  $20,000
3/9/2018 11:17:57 PM ET  $20,000
3/9/2018 11:17:44 PM ET  $18,750
3/9/2018 11:17:44 PM ET  $18,500
3/9/2018 11:17:34 PM ET  $17,250
3/9/2018 11:17:34 PM ET  $17,000
3/9/2018 11:17:23 PM ET  $15,350
3/9/2018 11:17:23 PM ET  $15,100

Edited by Greenlake
Editing out complications.

The speculators are now hitting the OA market hard.  Pages tied to tv or film properties got premium pricing, whereas quality pages by quality artists with no other special features seemed to underperform. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17