• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Comiclink Winter Featured Auction (Ends Mar 9)
1 1

177 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The speculators are now hitting the OA market hard.  Pages tied to tv or film properties got premium pricing, whereas quality pages by quality artists with no other special features seemed to underperform. 

I didn’t hear about a Fathom movie or TV show, but as the consigner of the only Turner cover in the line up, I was thrilled with the hammer.  

10 hours ago, vodou said:

Here's the bid history from $400 up. My estimate on this would be about $650 in today's market on a dealer site, but maybe as much as $900 (and it will sit for a while too). And that's about the auction range too It's Cap in costume, in action, by Colan, but no villain. Just sand. And it's an annual not the main book. Cap by Colan (sixties and seventies) people do want, but from Annual #5 1981...not especially. Many panels too, not even "splashy". Everything looks good to me through $808 (somebody gettin' a bit excited or playing at price discovery, sure thing)  until that outlier $1100 bid later afternoon of 03/09 aka auction day. Maybe it's innocent, maybe not. If not, you're looking at a floor being put in. Right, who knows? You know when the next one comes up that isn't 'protected' and it goes for $650 or so. Doesn't happen every time you coud suspect (like here) but it probably happens on a lot of things that nobody suspects. And you see the inflations happen one auction and then a few more come out the next auction and the consignor moans that they only got half previous. And that's because they don't have "friends".

Auction History

CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #5 PAGE 41 viewdetails.gif

Condition: Any condition
Starts At: $1
Current Bid: $1,355

3/9/2018 8:11:51 PM ET  $1,355
3/9/2018 8:11:06 PM ET  $1,255
3/9/2018 8:11:06 PM ET  $1,208
3/9/2018 8:00:09 PM ET  $1,108
3/9/2018 8:00:09 PM ET  $1,008
3/9/2018 7:59:55 PM ET  $958
3/9/2018 7:59:55 PM ET  $908
3/9/2018 5:43:12 PM ET  $858
3/9/2018 4:31:48 PM ET  $1,100
3/8/2018 9:03:22 PM ET  $808
3/8/2018 2:52:06 AM ET  $763
3/8/2018 1:31:30 AM ET  $650
3/7/2018 7:24:46 PM ET  $550
3/7/2018 7:24:46 PM ET  $505
3/6/2018 9:05:48 PM ET  $450
3/6/2018 9:05:48 PM ET  $425
3/4/2018 8:57:18 PM ET  $400

If someone really wanted it, then several hundred dollars won't make a difference if they have the money.

Say the gap is $750 between FMV and actual sales price (I know it isn't; this is for easy arithmetic). If a person expects not to sell it, they are 50 years old, and expects to live to 75, then the overpaid amount is only $30/year. Most people expect to live "forever", not just to a mere 75, and will assume the value will go up, too. That reduces the effect of "overpayment". And while they won't make these sorts of actual calculations, it means they will figure their actual overpayment won't be very much at all. In this sense, they are right.

Of course it also means that when this market collapses, because the old collectors are dying off, it will collapse pretty quickly as that additional, expected 25 years of life shrinks to less than 5.

Congratulations to @Claudio for getting $5.1K on that Kingdom Come piece. Someone should've jumped on it when he was selling it on CAF for less. Although, Claudio, sorry that the color guide didn't get close to your original asking price.

I'm really surprised with that final price on the KC piece, especially for a prelim. A few JSA Alex Ross covers just sold on HA for a little over $4K as a comparison. I don't know what could've attributed to the value. It's from Kingdom Come maybe? Nevertheless, Claudio, I hope that made you some gains on your overall consignment.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, Claudio said:

I thought this one was super cute.  You don't see many of these being offered.  I thought it was a good deal.  Jeffrey Brown.  Vader's Little Princess.  If you haven't read Jeffrey's books, they are awesome.  If you are a Star Wars fan

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1233445

I own a page from this book so I watched with vested interested. On one hand I wanted it to do really well to protect my "investment;" but on the other hand, I didn't want the price to get too crazy in case I wanted another one down the line. I say it landed around FMV. Scott Eder puts a ~$1K price tag on them on eBay (I paid way more for mine). I'm not sure what these pieces originally sold for when they were first released, but there hasn't been much movement in price within the last year. And yes, these don't pop up often--this is the first one to appear in the public market in a year. I will admit that since this was a full background piece, I was expecting it to hit $1,000 or $1100, especially because the bids flew out of the gates. Nevertheless, congrats to the buyer and seller.

10 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Congratulations to @Claudio for getting $5.1K on that Kingdom Come piece. Someone should've jumped on it when he was selling it on CAF for less. Although, Claudio, sorry that the color guide didn't get close to your original asking price.

I'm really surprised with that final price on the KC piece, especially for a prelim. A few JSA Alex Ross covers just sold on HA for a little over $4K as a comparison. I don't know what could've attributed to the value. It's from Kingdom Come maybe? Nevertheless, Claudio, I hope that made you some gains on your overall consignment.

Comparing Kingdom Come art in terms of Poularity/demand/value with those single character JSA covers that sold on Heritage is like comparing Ditko ASM pages to his Speedball pages. lol

9 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Comparing Kingdom Come art in terms of Poularity/demand/value with those single character JSA covers that sold on Heritage is like comparing Ditko ASM pages to his Speedball pages. lol

Well, I'm comparing a prelim to a published cover by Alex Ross. (shrug) Kingdom Come or not, it's still a bunch of characters in silhouettes. I'd choose the one nicely painted figure over that.

8 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Well, I'm comparing a prelim to a published cover by Alex Ross. (shrug) Kingdom Come or not, it's still a bunch of characters in silhouettes. I'd choose the one nicely painted figure over that.

Its oversized(actually slightly bigger than those ones that just finished at ha) and pretty finished for a prelim as well. It's a similiar situation to how many Bolland KJ prelims sell for more than his lesser published covers do.

8 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Its oversized(actually slightly bigger than those ones that just finished at ha) and pretty finished for a prelim as well. It's a similiar situation to how many Bolland KJ prelims sell for more than his lesser published covers do.

Although I prefer Marvels over Kingdom Come, I'm still a KC fan, but I just can't get over the silhouette-style of the piece. The size, the popularity, the "finish" is not even a consideration to me.

Any thoughts on that Kingdom Come t-shirt piece? I really liked it. I'm split on the final hammer? Too low, just right, too high?

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Although I prefer Marvels over Kingdom Come, I'm still a KC fan, but I just can't get over the silhouette-style of the piece. The size, the popularity, the "finish" is not even a consideration to me.

Any thoughts on that Kingdom Come t-shirt piece? I really liked it. I'm split on the final hammer? Too low, just right, too high?

I like Marvel/Kingdom Come/Batman War on Crime pretty much equally. Size is always a top thing for me, and until I just looked at the auction I didn't realize how big it was, and I loved the silhouette-style of the piece.

The t-shirt piece is probably just right. It's small, but very nicely rendered. If you actually break it down per head sketch it is about $50 a pop, makes it seem like a deal when I look at it like that. lol I wonder if it would of sold for a bit more if it didn't have that ugly t-shirt outline around it? It's kind of distracting.

5 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I like Marvel/Kingdom Come/Batman War on Crime pretty much equally. Size is always a top thing for me, and until I just looked at the auction I didn't realize how big it was, and I loved the silhouette-style of the piece.

The t-shirt piece is probably just right. It's small, but very nicely rendered. If you actually break it down per head sketch it is about $50 a pop, makes it seem like a deal when I look at it like that. lol I wonder if it would of sold for a bit more if it didn't have that ugly t-shirt outline around it? It's kind of distracting.

Yup, I certainly agree on the rendering. It's probably as close (re: affordable) as you can to those covers. Funny, like how you don't mind the silhouette-style, I don't mind the t-shirt outline. I guess it's these differences in tastes that prevent bidding wars in some cases.

2 hours ago, lobrac said:

Sold for $565. Not sure why that’s so disappointing.

5036E6A6-8FAC-40C0-9A59-799736A8CE60.jpeg

I have an Infantino Nova Page, so I’m disappointed because this kind of sets the market. Although I think mine might be a bit more desirable. But that’s a matter of taste. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

If someone really wanted it, then several hundred dollars won't make a difference if they have the money.

Say the gap is $750 between FMV and actual sales price (I know it isn't; this is for easy arithmetic). If a person expects not to sell it, they are 50 years old, and expects to live to 75, then the overpaid amount is only $30/year. Most people expect to live "forever", not just to a mere 75, and will assume the value will go up, too. That reduces the effect of "overpayment". And while they won't make these sorts of actual calculations, it means they will figure their actual overpayment won't be very much at all. In this sense, they are right.

Of course it also means that when this market collapses, because the old collectors are dying off, it will collapse pretty quickly as that additional, expected 25 years of life shrinks to less than 5.

Maybe I don't get who would "really want it", this specific page, badly enough to pay triplish recent comps. Having personally collected and followed the sales history of this book since the mid/late 90s...I can give you some broad insight: there is no particular heat on it and there never has been. Your method (or at least theory) of paying significantly over fmv for things, specific things, works in that fashion for obscure or not easily repeatable opportunities but not for commodity items. There's a lot of pages in this book (it's an annual after all), many quite similar in quality of content too to this one and thus no particular reason to overpay by so much this month. Roughly one turns up every year, or at widest spread every two years, somewhere.

Doing this once, here or there, overpaying for hundreds or triple (take your pick) on occasion is no big deal. But doing so regularly will leave you with a lot less art at the end of the day. Again, doing this for rare or even unique opportunities is one thing but for "stuff" art (of which this piece very much is, Colan + Cap in costumer "moving" around + vs. "nobody" = meh?)...I'm not seeing it, that any collectors are that "new".

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Maybe I don't get who would "really want it", this specific page, badly enough to pay triplish recent comps. Having personally collected and followed the sales history of this book since the mid/late 90s...I can give you some broad insight: there is no particular heat on it and there never has been. Your method (or at least theory) of paying significantly over fmv for things, specific things, works in that fashion for obscure or not easily repeatable opportunities but not for commodity items. There's a lot of pages in this book (it's an annual after all), many quite similar in quality of content too to this one and thus no particular reason to overpay by so much this month. Roughly one turns up every year, or at widest spread every two years, somewhere.

Doing this once, here or there, overpaying for hundreds or triple (take your pick) on occasion is no big deal. But doing so regularly will leave you with a lot less art at the end of the day. Again, doing this for rare or even unique opportunities is one thing but for "stuff" art (of which this piece very much is, Colan + Cap in costumer "moving" around + vs. "nobody" = meh?)...I'm not seeing it, that any collectors are that "new".

You are applying rational thinking, which is good for classic economics and accountants. But people don’t really act like that. They act, in part, on impulse. I have a few pieces I bought out of fear I would not find their equal again—and then I did. I also bought a page of mediocre art solely because it had my daughter’s first name in it.  And then, there is depth of knowledge. You also have enormous depth of knowledge here which other bidders may not. 

Permit me to suggest that you will drive yourself needlessly crazy if you try to divine an answer. If you like it and feel like buying it, and can afford it, “dam’n the torpedoes and full speed ahead.”

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

If you like it and feel like buying it, and can afford it, “dam’n the torpedoes and full speed ahead.”

Not at all (re: crazy). It just caught my eye as an outlier and I'm naturally curious if it was pushed/protected to above $1100 or that was organic interest. Cuz, if nothing else, I might have some to sell :) too. But your mantra above...that's how people end up filing Chapter 7 right there. Some of us are buying 3-5 pieces a week and that's not sustainable when every purchase is made "full speed ahead" lol

1 hour ago, vodou said:

But your mantra above...that's how people end up filing Chapter 7 right there.

I think you missed part of what I wrote: "If you like it and feel like buying it, and can afford it,...

I have passed up at least 3 things I would have bought over the past few months but for my purchases (or intended purchases) of a few other things. 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Alex Ross Kingdom Come cover Prelim painting and Totleben Swamp Thing 64 cover prelim painting.  Each went for approximately $5.1K and I must confess I never expected to see prices anywhere near that for prelims. 

I won the Swamp Thing prelim painting (along with the Adam Hughes Ghost French Variant cover). It was kind of a spur of the moment purchase. I saw it up there the day before when going through the auction and remembered how much I loved that run of Swamp Thing (also it being the last issue of the arc and just a very cool image). It and Miracle Man were two of the first comics I started when I got into comics like 10 years ago. Before that I had just started reading comics and only got into after buying a few compilations of Marvel Zombies (hah).

I tried to google around and see what kind of price to expect - but I didn't really see anything comparable to go off of so I just winged it.

Both things I purchased did go for a bit more than I thought. I've seen Adam Hughes at cons a few times the last few years, but never found anything that jumped out at me when flipping through his portfolio and I really liked Ghost when I read it a while back.

Congratulations on the Swamp Thing win.  I love Totleben's art, and I think that's my favorite of his painted covers for any ST issue.  It's a "prelim", but it's really beautiful and probably could have been published as it is.  I don't think comps matter if it's something you really love. 

9 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I own a page from this book so I watched with vested interested. On one hand I wanted it to do really well to protect my "investment;" but on the other hand, I didn't want the price to get too crazy in case I wanted another one down the line. I say it landed around FMV. Scott Eder puts a ~$1K price tag on them on eBay (I paid way more for mine). I'm not sure what these pieces originally sold for when they were first released, but there hasn't been much movement in price within the last year. And yes, these don't pop up often--this is the first one to appear in the public market in a year. I will admit that since this was a full background piece, I was expecting it to hit $1,000 or $1100, especially because the bids flew out of the gates. Nevertheless, congrats to the buyer and seller.

On the Vader's Little Princess, I had set a mental budget at $1,100, but I thought to ask my 8yo first since I would frame it and put it in her room. After being told I'd be bidding on the original to a page in the book she had, she looked at me askance and asked "why?". So that put a quick end to my bidding. Congrats to the buyer, you can thank my daughter for getting it at a discount...