• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why haven't back cover signatures caught on.

15 posts in this topic

I was just looking at books online and I came across a CGC Signature Series label Golden-Age Atlas book with a Stan Lee signature on the cover in fairly big silver marker.

At first I thought hey, this is a 2.5 copy with less than ideal page quality: a perfect candidate for a signature. But then I realized, since CGC is verifying the signature anyways, why not have it signed on the back cover? It's far less conspicuous and can still easily be seen after the book is encapsulated. Why hasn't this caught on. The cover of a comic is [generally speaking] the main reason people like to buy a book, why mess with that if you don't have to? 

I have actually been considering this for a virgin cover I have. The SDCC Aspen Turner cover....I feel the artwork is to pretty to be distracted by Peter Steigerwald's signature so I think I will end up doing on the back...

SupermanBatman-Turner-c.jpg

I think the reason back cover signatures have not caught on is due to the fact that a lot of books don't have good space on the back cover for a signature. Most modern books have ads or whatnot that take up the back cover, so there is either no room or space for a good signature. Plus, no reason for the cover artist, writer, editor or inker to sign an ad on the back cover, right? The other reason is that the front cover has the art and names of the people ideal to sign the book. Also for display purposes, the incapsulated book is usually shown with either the front or back showing and for the most part the front cover is the most appealing to see, as it has the name, title, writer, author, etc. showing the specifics of the book. Also, the incapsulated information shows larger and better on the front. 

Now, in the example of specialized book, such as the Aspen covers, they actually may be room that signature would be better, as to not interrupt the great art piece on the front. I have seen this done a few times for incapsulated books because the owner does not want to interrupt the art. 

At the end of the day though, it is still the owner's preference. 

If the back would be better, go for it! 

:martini:

23 hours ago, Pirate said:

Because they are stupid, that's why.  So are celebrity signatures on sketch covers and adding celebrities with creators on same book.

What if it is a photo variant of that actor/actress......or a blank cover that an artist will then sketch on like Ash does with all those Ivdyer covers....thoughts?

1 minute ago, Dwitkin82 said:

What if it is a photo variant of that actor/actress......or a blank cover that an artist will then sketch on like Ash does with all those Ivdyer covers....thoughts?

Please read above your post.  I gave my opinion on back cover sigs, sketch covers and adding creators/celebrities on same book.  Not sure what else you need?

I hate back cover sigs, and I hate mixing creators with celebs.

But I love celebrity sketch covers - when there is nothing else to get done.  I know you love the photos and the lobby cards and whatnot, but I don't. Custom sketches are often the only way to get that sig you want and still make it fit inside your collection.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=27256&GSub=248

On 2/16/2018 at 8:32 AM, Phil the Governor said:

I was just looking at books online and I came across a CGC Signature Series label Golden-Age Atlas book with a Stan Lee signature on the cover in fairly big silver marker.

At first I thought hey, this is a 2.5 copy with less than ideal page quality: a perfect candidate for a signature. But then I realized, since CGC is verifying the signature anyways, why not have it signed on the back cover? It's far less conspicuous and can still easily be seen after the book is encapsulated. Why hasn't this caught on. The cover of a comic is [generally speaking] the main reason people like to buy a book, why mess with that if you don't have to? 

I personally don't prefer a signature on the back cover. I just don't think it adds anything. I'd rather have the sig where it displays with the art and cover. Otherwise, my second preference would be to have a title page sig witnessed, as long as I have a photo of the signature. Putting a sig on the back cover, unless there's art there or something of relevance, feels like seating a VIP at the back of the theater, if you don't mind a metaphor.

Speaking of Back Cover Sigs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-6-CGC-SS-TODD-MCFARLANE/323067266920?hash=item4b384f4768:g:8UIAAOSwNt1af8O3

That would be a perfect cover to do it on, in fact any of the early Wolverine's would be. This example is all kinds of wrong, due to it being a "Rob Liefeld" pin up (some could stop right there ??? ) but this is signed by Todd McFarlane ??? idk it is just an example, and it is not my listing and should run out soon.....I'm not suggesting anybody bid lol 

But am suggesting the early Wolverine 1988 series 1st ongoing, as I think that many of them had pin-ups on the back :foryou:

I’ve got some signed on the back simply because I did not want the cover image to be affected by the signature. So now when I look at the books I think, beautiful. Instead of maybe I shouldn’t have gotten that signed there. I have a few that in hindsight may have benefited with a back cover signature. Too each their own.

Personally I do it when it really makes sense or where the book is designed for a sketch on the rear.  But I think generally people don’t like it because the CGC grades and notes are on one side and the sig is one the other. This makes it sloppy to display.  I wish CGC would give you the option for sig series to slab backwards. Here are a couple I have.  The Meat Loaf was a no-brainer. 

69EFB462-E170-4E25-98A3-208E4F54C76C.jpeg

F16F6D02-A808-4373-9D3A-D1208C99F467.jpeg

27ECC0E2-78AD-4594-B0C9-DAB2D30A032F.jpeg

8AC89863-6390-4612-9A55-5B905BE3BFAC.jpeg

CD16D062-65BF-4444-97E0-C33307FB3B75.jpeg

Edited by bigcbass