• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #797 Mike Mayhew Variant
1 1

91 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

1. Glad to see you posting again

2. For a limited book, there certainly are an awful lot of them on eBay right now.

3. That cover is seriously effing ugly. I mean just terrible.

4. I'd like to buy the 1:100 Artgerm Thor 705 virgin variant. I have no idea how many have been printed, I think it is beautiful.

There are currently 21 including 4 slabbed copies for sale. 53 have been sold including 14 slabbed. I wouldn't say that's a lot considering a large portion were bought for flipping, I'm guessing. And, some of these could already be people that bought one on eBay and trying to sell it again.

The Thor is nice, but the image was released before FOC and there is a big event in the book. So I'm sure this will be like the last Thor 1:100.

Neither have printed yet too.

Edited by ygogolak

I'm not ordering this book however I have ordered from these guys in the past (Venom #1 Dell'Otto), so I will throw in my experience FWIW. This isn't a direct reply to anyone.

I ordered a set of the virgin Venom #1's a couple years ago from Frankie's. My order showed up a few weeks after most people and it had some damage to the virgin cover, it was probably an 8.5 / 9.0 at best iirc, might be off a bit it's been a while since I looked at it. The trade dress copies were NM. I didn't complain or ask for a refund since it was a PC book anyways. Them's the breaks I figured. Not even two weeks go by when another package shows up, this time from Simon Payne, all the way from the UK with a mint copy of the virgin cover. I couldn't believe it but it was marked as "gift" and I am guessing that people who they realized were shipped a less than NM copy of the virgin from the original preorder "available for sale" pile were put on a list for the backup copies. 

I don't speak to them or know the print runs or business practices.  But I will share this experience since it was a positive one and I will always commend good customer service above all else. That's just my experience from this group. Take it for what it's worth.

25 minutes ago, speedcake said:

This whole thing is a turn off when it comes to the "high end variant" market.  Not that I was much interested before, there are a few here and there that I think are really nice, but goodness why would anyone put themselves through this?

Point, click, purchase. It's rough out there.

6 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Except the endless discussion around whether or not anyone should pay as much as they do for variants and the hand wringing over how much to resell them for  :D

Isn't that the case with any variant? You're not going to lose on this particular one, short term.

2 hours ago, Couchy81 said:

I'm not ordering this book however I have ordered from these guys in the past (Venom #1 Dell'Otto), so I will throw in my experience FWIW. This isn't a direct reply to anyone.

I ordered a set of the virgin Venom #1's a couple years ago from Frankie's. My order showed up a few weeks after most people and it had some damage to the virgin cover, it was probably an 8.5 / 9.0 at best iirc, might be off a bit it's been a while since I looked at it. The trade dress copies were NM. I didn't complain or ask for a refund since it was a PC book anyways. Them's the breaks I figured. Not even two weeks go by when another package shows up, this time from Simon Payne, all the way from the UK with a mint copy of the virgin cover. I couldn't believe it but it was marked as "gift" and I am guessing that people who they realized were shipped a less than NM copy of the virgin from the original preorder "available for sale" pile were put on a list for the backup copies. 

I don't speak to them or know the print runs or business practices.  But I will share this experience since it was a positive one and I will always commend good customer service above all else. That's just my experience from this group. Take it for what it's worth.

I’ve also had a similar experience to this one. Prints runs aside, good customer service is key for me too.

Me coming back to this thread a month after I started it. Seriously though prices are through the roof and copies are just being shipped out to buyers. I bought 2 copies and sold one for $175. Part of me wishes I waited but I got a free book, the money to send it to CGC and some profit so I can't complain. 

source[1].gif

12 hours ago, GaSouthernGrad said:

How many of the "600 available worldwide" do you suppose this is?

Screenshot_20180327-215850_Facebook.jpg

They must have been one of the shops who took orders. If that is all they got It makes me think they were not lying about the 600 available. I ordered mine from Mutant Beaver Comics and they told me the whole order was split with all the shops who sold them. I am not sure how many shops were selling these. I know 7ate9 and Comic Mint were selling, apparently these guys too. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainJPW22 said:

They must have been one of the shops who took orders. If that is all they got It makes me think they were not lying about the 600 available. I ordered mine from Mutant Beaver Comics and they told me the whole order was split with all the shops who sold them. I am not sure how many shops were selling these. I know 7ate9 and Comic Mint were selling, apparently these guys too. 

Unknown Comics was not part of the original companies who partner with sad lemon and had them for pre-order. I would not be surprised if they contacted them later and said can I have x to sell to my customers as well.

Edited by GaSouthernGrad