• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #797 Mike Mayhew Variant
1 1

91 posts in this topic

.. 797 costs are fast losing  values on ebay sales.. Lots of unsold regular covers at markup to cover price.

The mayhew is  a rare book, but on an insignificant issue.. Will be interesting to see how it tracks over time. 

On 4/1/2018 at 3:33 AM, MGH said:

.. 797 costs are fast losing  values on ebay sales.. Lots of unsold regular covers at markup to cover price.

The mayhew is  a rare book, but on an insignificant issue.. Will be interesting to see how it tracks over time. 

Probably like so many of the other less than significant low print run books. some sustain or go up while most fall hard. only time will tell which for this one. 

Comic variants are the new sneakers. Artificial demand market dominated by flippers and comic fans get left out or wrung for every last cent.

Why do so many collectors like these variants?

Because of completists, fans or the artist, fans of the art, the regular cover art is just never as cool looking.

Why do they sell out when most collectors never had a clue where to buy/pre-order them or what the original price was until it hits ebay?

because of the arbitrage created by the flipping market:

Retailers and flippers obtain information or are already privy to the information of which retailers are offering this and wait to pounce. Many negotiate bulk pre orders, the rest either sit with multiple accounts on release day and order as many as they can or use purchase bot software to automatically purchase the desired amount within seconds. this is how some sites sell out in seconds when it takes an average human 1 min to enter cc or paypal info to pay.

Once all are sold out, the flippers become the market and price collusion based on ebay sales begins to set the new price which is usually 2-3 times the original purchase price. 

FOMA for collectors or late to the game speculators does the rest.

Retailers see the delta and continue to raise prices and repeat the practice.  Remember when low print run retailer variants sold for only $10? Now you're seeing them creep up to $100 and not talking about the ratio variants.

This will only get worse until the max market price sustainability has been reached for collectors: when the flippers minimum price exceeds that which anyone is willing to pay.

I applaud other retailers actions in limiting this type of hysteria. 

DimensionX had theirs offered only through their fb site and only available 2 sets per customer to those who first liked their fb page and sent a PM with an email. At the very least that slows the burn rate giving actual collectors and their own store customers time to get a copy.  I think their model is the way to go for future low print run sales.

retailer partners playing the variant arms race game like Sadlemon, Frankies, 7ate9, comicmint, Beaver whatever comics and their secondary tier like unknown and comicxposure need to put software defeating mechanisms and sale limits in place to allow for collectors to buy. Captcha just doesn't cut it but most of these sites don't even use that. 

they should limit all sales to 2 per customer where customer is defined by:

email address

payment info

address

phone number

such that if any of those pieces of information are duplicated on a subsequent order, the order is rejected. 

Or they can just do the same thing that DimensionX comics did.

FYI: the secondary market cost for collecting all but the ridiculous 1:500 and 1:1000 variants for the red goblin issues is over $2000. Throw those ratio variants in and your looking at over $5000.

Is anyone on here spending that kind of money just to have in their collection?  10 years from now when most of those variants are worth less than what was paid will you have any regrets about what else you could have done with that money like say buy or upgrade a SA ASM, or a new car, or home appliance, pay down debt, pay for a class, medical expenses, help out a friend? or are they expecting the values to keep going up and stay up forever?

rant over.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:52 AM, ygogolak said:

Came back  to this one out of curiosity .. according to the census there are 428 that are now graded.    That seems awfully high for a 600 only run ..   are we sure it's not 600 per retailer that sold them ? 

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Amazing+Spider-Man&issue=797&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=2018&issuedate=5/18

Edited by MGH
Typos

2 hours ago, MGH said:

600 per retailer 5 retailers is 3k copies .. which would seem about right.  

Who sold it .? .Sadlemon,  unknown, amorphous were the ones I remembered.  

600 total sold. More were printed than that. It was just Sad Lemon and The Comic Mint.

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

600 total sold. More were printed than that. It was just Sad Lemon and The Comic Mint.

Amorphous 

https://amorphousink.com/products/amazing-spider-man-797-mayhew-homage-variant

And unknown definitely sold too.

https://unknowncomicbooks.com/products/amazing-spider-man-797-mike-mayhew-asm-238-homage

I had then all bookmarked but - being in Australia -  slept through  the opening bell.  

And they said 600..  just there has always been so many selling and 428 just in cgc slabs is a lot ( not including other unmentionable which I have seen ) doesn't leave much space for raws 

Edited by MGH

Compared to say delotto 667 that still has only 48 slabs for 500 books ,  428 for 600  is out of this world 

Would think it is much, much higher total books for 797 mayhew 

Edited by MGH

6 minutes ago, MGH said:

Compared to say delotto 667 that still has only 48 slabs for 500 books ,  428 for 600  is out of this world 

Would think it is much, much higher total books for 797 mayhew 

The total slabbed is definitely disproportionate. I have one that isn’t slabbed myself. I have always thought they sold more than the 600 they were supposed to limit it. Especially with Unknown involved.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, WoWitHurts said:

I bought two one to keep one to sell. I slabbed both and sold one to cover the cost of both copies. By the way mine came directly from China and not the two places mentioned above.

Sure, you probably bought them on the secondary market. Correct?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Sure, you probably bought them on the secondary market. Correct?

I think they were from a back door out of a printer :-) I got them just as they came out but yes I believe it was secondary.