• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most classic, non-Baker, romance covers?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

This is my favorite non-Baker romance... looks like a classic cover to me even though Harvey's don't always get the love.  Want salacious?  Try Teen-age sex club.  Love the hilarious creepy farmer/peeping tom and the couple taking a literal roll in the hay.  CGC doesn't credit any of these but GCD says Al Avison for most of the FLI...not anywhere near the technical quality of a Baker or other romance books but I just love the staging, scene set up etc.  Great blonde babe too.

teenage sex club2.jpg

That also looks like Elvis and Monroe. 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Less well-known, and maybe more teen humor than romance, is Louise Altson.  

2017-09-14-0002_zpsj30ntuuf.JPG

Classic stuff! If you didn't mention her, I would've.

Her two page interior black-and-white illustrations are like an All-American time capsule - a peek at American teen-agers coming of age in postwar America. Really great stuff.

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Her two page interior black-and-white illustrations are like an All-American time capsule - a peek at American teen-agers coming of age in postwar America. Really great stuff

Where are those b&w illustrations published? I'd like to see them.

Romance is not really a key type of genre, certainly not as much as others.  No heroes or villains, no eye gouging or heads lopped off.  Hair pulling is considered big stuff! in the romance universe.  No recurring characters to speak of (except Dr. Anthony King, Hollywood Love Doctor!), it's more no-name to the max, just the generic He or She.  Superbeings are by their nature extraordinary, and that's where the fun is.  But romance is about the ordinary drama of everyday relationship.  It's a no key world because it's about the compelling nature of a woman's tears, not cheers or jeers.

We generally can't relate because we're not the target audience; that is to say, most of us have never been young girls in the late 1940's and early 1950's.  The genre was a moment in time thing.  For even female collectors in later years like Lauren or Sharon don't go for romance. 

So it's less of a key thing and more of a group thing.  There are publishers and groups of books within publishers, and certain artists of course, that seem to stand out above the rest.  Having said that, in a finite set of about 5,846 issues (more or less!), it would be very strange if individual books didn't stand out over time.  Many of the ones already posted are the known candidates.  Below are some other non Bakers.  Generally speaking, if you want sappy or corny then go for Fawcett photocovers.  If you want salacious then it's Fox and at a more refined level St. John.  More GA then SA and really no BA keys to speak of.

Young Romance 1

Negro Romance

Popular Teenagers 15

Love Journal 10

for campy, certain Marvel photocovers

Heart Throbs 1

certain DC GA & SA

Personal Love 32 (for the Frazetta interior)

Atlas - Hartley '53, Coletta '54

Edited by Dr. Love