• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most classic, non-Baker, romance covers?
5 5

145 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

0be51363-9b6a-40ab-acc6-b9e9e380f553_zps

I'm particularly fond of this one ..... Colletta never did a "bad" one, but some are just exceptional in their execution. The OA for a Colletta Atlas cover would be so cool to have. People in the SA Forum denigrate him as a hack, but I personally loved his inks on Thor.... and when we go further back to Atlas, it's obvious what a consummate Pro he was. It wasn't just Romance either.... he had work in the Horror and Crime genres as well. Anyone interested can go to www.atlastales.com to find an index of the hundreds of jobs he did at Atlas with plenty of actual scans of splashes.... well worth the time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

35 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm particularly fond of this one ..... Colletta never did a "bad" one, but some are just exceptional in their execution. The OA for a Colletta Atlas cover would be so cool to have. People in the SA Forum denigrate him as a hack, but I personally loved his inks on Thor.... and when we go further back to Atlas, it's obvious what a consummate Pro he was. It wasn't just Romance either.... he had work in the Horror and Crime genres as well. Anyone interested can go to www.atlastales.com to find an index of the hundreds of jobs he did at Atlas with plenty of actual scans of splashes.... well worth the time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

+1000

I also recommend "The Thin Black Line: Perspectives on Vince Colletta, Comics’ Most Controversial Inker" - available on Amazon and twomorrows

machine%20age%201%20colletta_zpsww9cbupf

On 2/18/2018 at 4:50 PM, MrBedrock said:

An absurd classic..

oursecret06.jpg

wow absurd AND wacky. According to the ancient laws of the tribes of my father I have to wear a pac-man tie to my wedding? And try saying his name 3 times fast with a mouthfull of bubblegum. :) 

8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The cool thing with ECs is there are lots of raw collections out there. The romance is definitely the hardest to find of the publisher's output, but patience is a wonderful thing. There are two nicer graded copies for now but if any books have potential for high grade copies coming to market the EC books would head that list. Congrats on your 8.0. it is indeed beautiful and hard to find in that grade. But from a census standpoint its position is very vulnerable.

Are you trying say there’s probably one that’s better? hm

8479923C-B73E-49C8-811D-212796484083.jpeg.ff1d2803a35ed85b8fa1148786c3aa7e.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Is there a Toth romance cover?  I have only seen interiors...

There's a DC cover or two but his best romance work are his interior stories for Standard.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

GirlsRomances13fc100_zpsgwfqbhws.jpg

We have talked about this cover more than once and I still can't see anything more than a glimmer of a hint of Toth.

Within the 6 months prior to this cover, this is what Toth's art looked like:

BigTown9church.jpg

BigTown12.jpg

15 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

+1000

I also recommend "The Thin Black Line: Perspectives on Vince Colletta, Comics’ Most Controversial Inker" - available on Amazon and twomorrows

machine%20age%201%20colletta_zpsww9cbupf

Dang, that's cool!

18 hours ago, sagii said:

The Forbidden Love 4 issue run has also always been a collector fave. Showcasing #4 here as it is the toughest of the run

image.jpeg

I agree that it's tough.  You and I own two-thirds of the graded copies. :)