• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi
2 2

37 posts in this topic

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

@Architecht

Have any explanations for this?

Nothing that I know about. That cloudflare Ray ID isn't actually an error message. More like a tracking code for the servers involved, I think. Usually when you see a cloudflare error, it means that the servers BEHIND cloudflare aren't responding in a timely manner so cloudflare gave up. Unfortunately, that also means that you as the user (and me as an admin) don't get to see the real error message.

But if it isn't continuing to happen, it may have just been a temporary issue with server load.

A while back, we were getting spammed by some keyword research scraping spider that was pounding the boards. We banned those IP addresses, but lately, I've been seeing the number of guest accounts spiking upwards. I can see right now that some Chinese computers are hammering at the servers. Could be the Baidu (Chinese search engine spider), or it might just be a customer of theirs buying server space in their cloud offering.

• Administrator

The problem is we want some of those spiders. We'd just like them to be polite and not hit the boards with the equivalent of 400 users constantly browsing the site. Some spiders are polite, some you can give hints about how fast you'd like them hit the site, and some (like Baidu) don't care what you think. If you ban them, you lose search engine traffic. I would just up the server resource for LEGIT spiders, but telling legit from bad actors can be a real chore, AND we're already at the top end of the cloud hosted plan provided by the boards.

But if we have regular problems due to server load, we'll definitely either cut back on the spiders or break through to a new class of hosting as needed. But not if it was a temporary blip.