• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official ComicConnoisseur comic book movie review thread!

30 posts in this topic

Hello,

Welcome!

Going forward all my reviews will be here.

I am doing this so if a newbie wants to get a quick review of a comic book review instead of wading thru hundreds of threads they can look here for a quick review.

I will use this 4 star ratings system.

4 STARS = MUST SEE

3 STARS = A GOOD POPCORN MOVIE.

2 STARS = IF YOU ARE BORED.

1 STAR  =  SUCKS.

My first review will be the Black Panther sometime next week.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I will also be reviewing movies that already came out and re-looking at them.

There are a lot of comic book movies that I thought were good 5-10 years ago that didn't age well and also vice versa there are comic book movies that have aged very well.

I am open to any superhero or sci-fi movies to review. So if you have any suggestions let me know.

I can most likely be able to review one suggestion a week.

I am pretty sure there are gems I haven't seen yet that someone could recommend.

So I hope we have fun with this.

I was watching parts of Spider-man Homecoming last night. I think if they would have removed the who "iron spider-man suit" and "tony stark father figure" plot lines it would have been a 4 star movie for me. The fact that he's using all these tech gadgets just diminishes the character that i grew up with.

2 stars still for me

21 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Star Wars The Force Awakens, one of the top ten worst movies of all time... discuss.

I will re-watch and review right after I see and review the Black Panther.

Should be interesting as when I saw it was thru that hype period. 

I notice a lot of movies I like than when I go back and watch them a few years later I don't like them the same way.

I watched Black Panther Friday night, thoroughly enjoyed it .. easy 4.5 out of 5 for me. . Marvel has once again led the way, 

Black Panther

Domestic Total as of Feb. 16, 2018: $75,808,000 (Estimate)

that's a whopper of a take for a day and less then half !   

Worldwide:  $122,808,000  

Edited by comic_memories

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This is just like Alex13 started here recently, though pointing to his review site.

Comic-related Movie/TV Review Column - Live from Mojoworld

:applause:

Hey. I notice nobody gave him a hard time over it too.

hm

You know what?

I offer my apology about the DC stuff. :foryou:  My Marvel passion bias sometimes gets the best of me. 

I hope you can contribute to this thread. I will be re-reviewing  JL sometime in March when I get the blu-ray.  I hope you will chime in on it.

CC

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

You know what?

I offer my apology about the DC stuff. :foryou:  My Marvel passion bias sometimes gets the best of me. 

I hope you can contribute to this thread. I will be re-reviewing  JL sometime in March when I get the blu-ray.  I hope you will chime in on it.

CC

THANK YOU for at least realizing this. And there is no reason to force any DC productions on yourself if you don't like them. That wouldn't be fair.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

THANK YOU for at least realizing this. And there is no reason to force any DC productions on yourself if you don't like them. That wouldn't be fair.

I actually love DC. My only beef is that they go beyond Batman and Superman movies. That's why I got all excited about Lobo,Deathstroke and the Del Toro JLA.

I want to see different characters.  I can't wait for Shazam and Aquaman.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

My Marvel passion bias sometimes gets the best of me. 

15 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

Marvel has once again led the way, 

This type of sentence is one you might reconsider in the future then.

I myself have been wondering if I am the only one in the world enthralled with Jared Leto as the Joker. I thought he was excellent. I haven't seen a few of the DC movies but I thought that he was very very good. Ledger carries his film (even if he is just doing Tom Waits) but I liked Leto far more than ol'Jack.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I actually love DC. My only beef is that they go beyond Batman and Superman movies. That's why I got all excited about Lobo,Deathstroke and the Del Toro JLA.

I want see different characters.  I can't wait for Shazam and Aquaman.

It will come soon enough. Though WB's mishandling of certain directors doesn't help any with JL Dark and The Flash. I get it!

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

This type of sentence is one you might reconsider in the future then.

I myself have been wondering if I am the only one in the world enthralled with Jared Leto as the Joker. I thought he was excellent. I haven't seen a few of the DC movies but I thought that he was very very good. Ledger carries his film (even if he is just doing Tom Waits) but I liked Leto far more than ol'Jack.

I like Suicide Squad. I though Leto was brillant as the Joker. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn won me over as well.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I like Suicide Squad. I though Leto was brillant as the Joker. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn won me over as well.

The movie overall suffered from the ending. I am so so so so so so tired of a big cloud of swirling debris at the climax of all these movies. Margot Robbie was very good, I agree. I love her at the end of this scene.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

The movie overall suffered from the ending. I am so so so so so so tired of a big cloud of swirling debris at the climax of all these movies. Margot Robbie was very good, I agree. I love her at the end of this scene.

I just love her smile. Truly a beautiful woman. :luhv:

I hope she comes back for one more crack as Harley.

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I was watching parts of Spider-man Homecoming last night. I think if they would have removed the who "iron spider-man suit" and "tony stark father figure" plot lines it would have been a 4 star movie for me. The fact that he's using all these tech gadgets just diminishes the character that i grew up with.

2 stars still for me

I personally didn't mind the "upgrades" to the suit, compared to the clichéd high school stuff.  I thought "Wonder" handled the cruel politics of a public school much better. lol Michael Keaton definitely deserves his own spin-off.  He was so good, they forgot to develop his family.  Had no idea why he cared about them so much to want to protect them.

It could have been better, but it could have been way worse as we have seen on numerous occasions . :eek: 

Three out of four stars.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Should be interesting as when I saw it was thru that hype period. 

I notice a lot of movies I like than when I go back and watch them a few years later I don't like them the same way.

I see this again and again myself.

I admit I slightly overrated The Force Awakens the first time I saw it.

But, the weird thing is I like Rogue One even better than the first time I saw it and TFA too.

I'll even go back and re-watch a movie I didn't care for (BvS,) if a boardie can convince me too.

This is case that is all to common with Modern popcorn films, too much hype.