• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most distinctive GA artists?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't call Frazetta "distinctive" as there are are several others that drew in his style. Lou Fine and Al Williamson come to mind off the top of my head. But damn, what a draftsman and one of my favorites!

To me he is distinctive. The first time I saw a scan of this comic years ago I knew who drew it.  (Looked it up to make sure.) 

You all have nailed most of the big ones, my favorites being Schomburg, LB Cole, and Lou Fine.  But you've left out my other big favorite, Creig Flessel.  His early DC covers are so visually arresting.   I have a hard time passing those issues up when they come available.  

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

OK, just for you Jimmers. William Ekgren did only 3 comic book covers but they are about as distinctive as they come. The last one is full of Freudian imagery...

comweirdhorrors7.jpg

Out of the three, I like this one the best. Really like the composition and the Native American undertones. Very rarely seen up for sale compared to the other two...:frown:

On 24/02/2018 at 5:07 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, just for you Jimmers. William Ekgren did only 3 comic book covers but they are about as distinctive as they come. The last one is full of Freudian imagery...

comweirdhorrors7.jpg

Looked at close up, the technique is a bit overwhelming.  I’ve just had a look at a very small image on my phone, which makes everything merge together, and it’s actually excellent work.

An educational thread, as well.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:41 PM, Jayman said:

Out of the three, I like this one the best. Really like the composition and the Native American undertones. Very rarely seen up for sale compared to the other two...:frown:

By far the best of the three a very trippy cover before its time .

On 2/24/2018 at 11:07 AM, Robot Man said:

comweirdhorrors6.jpg

comweirdhorrors7.jpg

comstrangeterrors4.jpg

such awesome covers!!! :) 

Other GA artists deserving mention:

Jack Binder was an accomplished artist with an eye for detail and an identifiable style...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zpsf9pymtyj.jpg.29ad8f30d4472e0aaca553412176e79b.jpg

Also Ruben Moreira (Rubimor) whose shadow, composition and faces are pretty distinctive...

1880330936_Crack272_zpsbiukvifg.jpg.ed02bcf6958977220907a77d61ae14fc.jpg

Since GA art extends to more than comics of the era I'd be remiss failing to mention George Rozen...

image_zps8ehim1p0.jpeg

Several of Rozen's pulp covers were reprinted on early Shadow Comics, so his art was featured there as well! (thumbsu