• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

44 posts in this topic

Because it's  a Sunday and I have to go to work tomorrow time to start some .

If comic books could be cloned , and you had mega rare key issues(Tec27, AC1, AF15, etc), would you let your books be cloned so that everyone could have them?

The cloning process is cheap, like 10 USD a book, and there is no damage to your books, except obviously the value of your book as now there could be infinite amount of said rare books. 

Discuss!

Edited by rebelpk
Changed wording to encourage better discussion.

2 hours ago, rebelpk said:

If you could clone copies of comic books, and you had mega rare key issues(Tec27, AC1, AF15, etc), would you let your books be cloned so that everyone could have them?

Would it clone them in the grade they're in?..Wouldn't make much sense to clone a copy that's falling apart just to make another copy that's falling apart

1 minute ago, B2D327 said:

Would it clone them in the grade they're in?..Wouldn't make much sense to clone a copy that's falling apart just to make another copy that's falling apart

They would be cloned like for like.

If graded they would come back with the same grade/pq.

Any rusted staples, spine ticks, tears would also be replicated.

12 minutes ago, rebelpk said:

They would be cloned like for like.

If graded they would come back with the same grade/pq.

Any rusted staples, spine ticks, tears would also be replicated.

Then "yes", I would...especially if I was on my deathbed. I'd use my entire life's savings on clones just to saturate the market as a final jab to all the dealers that ever overcharged for a book; not only that but I'd first tell my family to sell about 100 of the copies to those dealers before releasing the others into the collector community so the dealers would all shart themselves and I'd go to my grave laughing

Edited by B2D327

6 minutes ago, rebelpk said:

Great discussion with very valid points.

Why?

Your last statement answered it - they would no longer be "rare books", so why would I contribute to the drekification of 5-6 figure grail books (if I actually had any 5-6 figure grail books that is)?

If it cost $10/copy to make exact clones (not reprints or replicas) of a rare grail that fetches $100,000 as-is, why would anyone do that?

Edited by jcjames

It depends why you collect. For you it seems obvious that it's for their monetary value, and hey to each their own.

I collect because I like the books, the piece of history with them.

Even if they were worthless I'd still collect them. I might not slab them. 

7 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Your last statement answered it - they would no longer be "rare books", so why would I contribute to the drekification of 5-6 figure grail books (if I actually had any 5-6 figure grail books that is)?

If it cost $10/copy to make exact clones (not reprints or replicas) of a rare grail that fetches $100,000 as-is, why would anyone do that?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but couldn't you clone a book for $10 & then sell it  for $100,000?

1 minute ago, Gaard said:

I'm not sure I understand the question, but couldn't you clone a book for $10 & then sell it  for $100,000?

The point being that anyone has access to this cloning machine and could flood the market.

The question is, would you be willing to sacrifice the monetary value of your books so that you and everyone could own the same book?

22 minutes ago, rebelpk said:

It depends why you collect. For you it seems obvious that it's for their monetary value, and hey to each their own.

If they were cloned would the clone still be a piece of history, or a clone of history?

Ah, in that case the answer would be, "I'm not sure."

I guess it boils down to what's more important to you - the monetary value of your collection, or the collection itself. To some, the books (regardless of value) is what's important - yet I find it hard to believe that there is a collector out that hasn't figured out the value of their collection.

Another factor to consider: the 'hunt' for the books (for some) is the fun part.

10 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

If they were cloned would the clone still be a piece of history, or a clone of history?

Depends on your perception.

If this helps, if your books were signed or touched by anyone. Any vestigial DNA would still be on your book. The signature would be there.

40 minutes ago, rebelpk said:

Again, why would ANYONE (collector or not) spend $50,000 on a book to "collect" and then turn it into a $10 book by cloning it?

(shrug)

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Again, why would ANYONE (collector or not) spend $50,000 on a book to "collect" and then turn it into a $10 book by cloning it?

(shrug)

You never wanted to own all of those great key issues?

I do. I have goals for collecting which I know I'll likely never achieve due to the insane cost and inflation some books have gone through.

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

(shrug)

Of course nobody would do that. Let's put a little twist to the question - the book is 'worth' $50,000, but the collector only spent 10 cents on it.