• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

44 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm with @jcjames on this one. If I own it already, no sense in cloning it. Also-- it seems very dishonest and it misses the point of vintage items completely. They have lived. They will also die at some point (fire, water, time-- something will break them into dust at some point).

I like reprints for things out of my price range. I appreciate the genuine article. Making clones of comics and selling them is no different than cloning money-- which is illegal. Even if you get away with it-- you would know that you are cheating and with comics-- who cares if you are lying about your collection other than yourself?

Did you invent a cloning machine? Did you invent a time machine? Same difference-- interesting ideas but pretty unlikely. Interesting topic but I think the answer comes down to your own moral code. If I had to choose-- I would want the time machine. The interesting part of that is whether you choose to go to the future or the past. Not sure I would use that device to buy comic books or to even change history (never know what might trigger your own butterfly-effect demise). I think I would probably start by going to the future to figure out how I died so I could maybe avoid that or extend my time. Also pick up some easy money via a lottery win and live the easy life. That would be enough for starters. Huge fan of time travel movies and TV.

You would have started a butterfly effect by simply being there, which means anything you saw wouldn't be the same. Isn't that the whole poibt of the butterfly effect? The slightest change (just you stepping into that world) could have any number of implications. Past or future. Even if you didn't do anything in the future apart from buying one comic book you would change the future and the same if you went to the future.

This topic is just for a discussion. The philosophical factor. Nothing else.

20 hours ago, rebelpk said:

Absolutely it would crash, but the question is would you or anyone else still be interested in their comics if they were only worth 10 USD?

It would be disappointing to lose that aspect, but lack of monetary value wouldn’t stop me collecting if it brought books back to real-world, ordinary, generally-affordable prices. I still care enough about the stories and art to believe I’d continue on at that modest price point.  Although, there are many remastered comics I’d read preferentially, which are far superior-looking to the originals, but lacking in that aged, newsprint, old-school feel and odour.

There would still be interesting choices to be made.