• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st (interior) Appearance of Black Widow Page on eBay
2 2

23 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

One of my favorite images in the entire Marvel library. And my favorite Widow costume. Thanks for pointing it out here!

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

One of my favorite images in the entire Marvel library. And my favorite Widow costume. Thanks for pointing it out here!

Lister is asking $45K. 

Not gonna get that on eBay. This should be at Heritage or C-Link. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

12 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Looks like he’s flipped his lid on this one. 

perhaps, perhaps. We were talking in that other thread about GlenBru flipping that cover from Mitch and he sold it within the week (or so).

27 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

A page from the same issue with Black Widow on it popped up for sale of CAF about two years ago with an asking price of about $7700, just to put the price into perspective. 

What did it actually sell for? Given that Drax splash cleared 40K, this asking price might not be totally crazy. 

It IS the literal first appearance of the character. 

21 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

What did it actually sell for? Given that Drax splash cleared 40K, this asking price might not be totally crazy. 

But in comic art that doesn't mean best or most important, does it?

I know it's comics so 1st appearance is important, even with sub par art (I'm looking at you uxm266 interiors)

And ih180 splash is something that was dramatic and is etched into everyone's mind, I had never seen the page above before this post.  So it's not like it's a classic scene.

But I'd rather have a kick page with her in costume over that.

Edited by Pete Marino

57 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Not sure if it sold or not since it was on CAF. Saw it up there, gawked for a day, and I never looked back. 

40 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

But in comic art that doesn't mean best or most important, does it?

I know it's comics so 1st appearance is important, even with sub par art (I'm looking at you uxm266 interiors)

And ih180 splash is something that was dramatic and is etched into everyone's mind, I had never seen the page above before this post.  So it's not like it's a classic scene.

But I'd rather have a kick page with her in costume over that.

Hard to say what the value is. Sure there are pluses as you state, 1st appearance, then it’s silver age art, and by Don Heck(?) (the artist wouldn’t matter to me). But on the flip side, it’s not an image/page most will recognize much less deem iconic. Perhaps BW in her first appearance wearing her more iconic costume would be just as valuable? 

Personally, the page is a grail. But for now, I can only settle on Jaime Hernandez’s take on the character or perhaps this doll that I saw at Toys R Us this past week :p

5F08F320-1E1E-4A94-AEB6-60355570CFEA.jpeg

49 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

...and as for this being the 'literal' first appearance?  There is some chance that the cover owner would tend to disagree.  If I had it , I certainly would.

I agree. I’d say that the cover is BW 1st appearance and the page in question is her 2nd, or 1st appearance in interior pages. If I were given a choice between the two, I’d choose the page over the cover because it means the most TO ME (not like anyone asked or cares to know what I think). I just never been impressed by the cover. 

7 hours ago, romitaman said:

I split up this entire TOS #52 story in the early 2000s. Lotta great pages in that story...

I’m amazed that that it stayed complete for that long. Glad to know pages are out there. Maybe one day I could afford to get one. 

16 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

...and as for this being the 'literal' first appearance?  There is some chance that the cover owner would tend to disagree.  If I had it , I certainly would.

Fair enough, which is why I made the Drax IM 55 splash page comparison. It's a cooler page, but BW is a more important and arguably more popular character than Drax. And it's a classic Marvel SA page, vs a Bronze Age one. I'd give Starlin the nod over Heck, but early Heck TOS ages are pretty nice.

I've changed the title of this thread to reflect this.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The actual first panel appears of BW is pretty cool. Plus it has good Iron Man and Dynamo shots too. This is definitely a 5 figure page, 45k probably too high but I can see someone dropping 30k.

I agree with this - $30K-ish sounds right to me.

Any number of factors would make this more valuable:  her not appearing on the cover*, drawn by a more highly regarded artist, her costume more resembling the later look for which she is known, the scene being more iconic/memorable.  "Face It, Tiger, You Just Hit the Jackpot!" this page ain't. 

Big difference between 1st appearance on a cover and 1st interior appearance in the same issue.  How much is Gambit's 1st interior appearance worth from UXM #266 vs. the cover which recently sold for $130K?  How much is Blade's 1st interior appearance worth vs. the TOD #10 cover?  Probably a small fraction in both cases, and the same for this page vs. the TOS #52 cover (if it still exists; but, even if it doesn't, I don't see this page being worth a lot more as a result). 2c