• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

I also need to replace a CGC 9.0 copy of FF 48 that I prematurely sold a few years ago.  But I'm going to risk waiting a while.  I believe prices will come back down, especially if a Silver Surfer movie doesn't manage to reach production within the next two or three years. 

Hype alone will drive prices up only so far, then speculators will need for someone to deliver on it.  Look at FF 45.  It sky rocketed with the news of the Inhumans show, but it peaked and leveled off well before we got a look at the show.  (Unfortunately, the show sucked, and FF 45 has been dropping in value ever since.)  

Edited by 29dukedog

13 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I also need to replace a CGC 9.0 copy of FF 48 that I prematurely sold a few years ago.  But I'm going to risk waiting a while.  I believe prices will come back down, especially if a Silver Surfer movie doesn't manage to reach production within the next two or three years. 

Hype alone will drive prices up only so far, then speculators will need for someone to deliver on it.  Look at FF 45.  It sky rocketed with the news of the Inhumans show, but it peaked and leveled off well before we got a look at the show.  (Unfortunately, the show sucked, and FF 45 has been dropping in value ever since.)  

I hope you're right that FF #48 prices will come down again.  Seems like a terrible time to buy right now, and the supply on this book seems like it would be too high to sustain these prices.

18 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Being the second owner, next to Fantucchio, I might have an idea. :shy: 

However, being that I’m still the owner it’s probably in bad taste to advertise buy price... I can tell you at the time it was a GPA record (obviously not recorded)...

Thanks for your input and congrats on the book. I totally understand your stance regarding the buy price and, yeah, the whole "not recorded" thing is an obvious handicap with GPA (and the Fantucchios have been breaking records across the board, haven't they? What a stunning collection). I've started trying to manually track CLink sales data for a handful of keys I own or hope to own within the next year to make up for that gap in the GPA record-keeping. FF 48 9.4 is one of those on my short-list that I hope to acquire, so was just trying to get a feel for what would be a realistic buy price on a 9.4 and with the Fantucchio copy as well. Again, I totally understand playing your cards close to the chest and I'd ask that anyone else, if they know the hammer price, disregard my original question out of respect for Callaway. Thanks and congrats again!

15 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Speaking of FF 45, there is really no comparison between FF 45 and FF 48.  FF 48 is so much of a bigger key and is probably in the top 3 most important FF book out of the whole run.  It was undervalued back then, now it is starting to realize its significance in the marketplace.  I doubt prices will go down on this book.

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Thanks for your input and congrats on the book. I totally understand your stance regarding the buy price and, yeah, the whole "not recorded" thing is an obvious handicap with GPA (and the Fantucchios have been breaking records across the board, haven't they? What a stunning collection). I've started trying to manually track CLink sales data for a handful of keys I own or hope to own within the next year to make up for that gap in the GPA record-keeping. FF 48 9.4 is one of those on my short-list that I hope to acquire, so was just trying to get a feel for what would be a realistic buy price on a 9.4 and with the Fantucchio copy as well. Again, I totally understand playing your cards close to the chest and I'd ask that anyone else, if they know the hammer price, disregard my original question out of respect for Callaway. Thanks and congrats again!

No worries, and I appreciate the courtesy. I also struggled with assigning a value... The last couple 9.6’s went for almost $10k on clink, and the 9.4 up now is trending very strong considering it has 10days to go. Plus the pedigree...which is especially valuable for this key because it sets it apart from the, relatively speaking, abundant supply...

I also love being the caretaker of this book, and believe in its long-term potential...so I’m not overly motivated to sell. :x But I can’t keep them all, or can I? hm

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Speaking of FF 45, there is really no comparison between FF 45 and FF 48.  FF 48 is so much of a bigger key and is probably in the top 3 most important FF book out of the whole run.  It was undervalued back then, now it is starting to realize its significance in the marketplace.  I doubt prices will go down on this book.

This.

FF48 is already highly desired without the Fox/Disney/MCU speculation.  Feige has already said Phase 4 of the MCU is going cosmic.  If the Fox/Disney deal does happen, you can bet that SS will be a key player possibly on the level of a Cap/IM with potential to appear across any of the movies.  With that said, I would say the potential upside is much greater than the downside.  

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I hope you're right that FF #48 prices will come down again.  Seems like a terrible time to buy right now, and the supply on this book seems like it would be too high to sustain these prices.

With certain books, supply doesn't seem to matter. Look at books like Hulk 181, ASM 129, etc. Though plentiful, they are so much in demand they overwhelm the supply. I know FF 48 had a warehouse find and that is the reason the prices stayed reasonable all these years. However, the cat is out of the bag, the book is on the rise, demand will not fade. Certain 1st appearances tied to movies will taper off, especially with the villains. But I think the 1st appearance of the Silver Surfer will never be cheap, or even 'reasonable' again. You're dreaming if you think otherwise, sorry. 

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

With certain books, supply doesn't seem to matter. Look at books like Hulk 181, ASM 129, etc. Though plentiful, they are so much in demand they overwhelm the supply. I know FF 48 had a warehouse find and that is the reason the prices stayed reasonable all these years. However, the cat is out of the bag, the book is on the rise, demand will not fade. Certain 1st appearances tied to movies will taper off, especially with the villains. But I think the 1st appearance of the Silver Surfer will never be cheap, or even 'reasonable' again. You're dreaming if you think otherwise, sorry. 

The other thing strictly for collectors (not speculators) is that FF 48 is the most historically significant post '65 SA key. Just looking at the Marvel SA will tell you how different keys published  (in terms of the now existing relative scarcity and the level of creativity that gave rise to the core group of superheroes) during the incredible '61-'64 era when compared to the comics hitting the newsracks in the post '65 period. Marvel collectors priced out of the pre-'65 keys, are looking for the best of post '65. FF 48 is that book and a high grade copy is relatively affordable for many collectors. Sure, high grade copies are expensive compared to other post '65 Marvel keys. Not so when FF 48 is compared the first great keys of the Marvel Age. FF 48's significance should be looked at in two ways: where it stands among the post '65 Marvel SA era books, and how this book expanded the '61-64 era by taking the Marvel Age into the cosmos...

john

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The book seems to have doubled in just the last couple of months.  That does not seem sustainable to me.  Of course I could be wrong, but I feel comfortable waiting a little while longer because I am betting that the worst case (for a buyer like me) is that prices hold where they are.

Did I say I could be wrong?

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The book seems to have doubled in just the last couple of months.  That does not seem sustainable to me.  Of course I could be wrong, but I feel comfortable waiting a little while longer because I am betting that the worst case (for a buyer like me) is that prices hold where they are.

Did I say I could be wrong?

I was using the same logic for an AF15 and you can see where that got me !

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

in that case, you're in great shape. prices of af15 are significantly lower than they were last summer when it peaked. your comment seems to suggest prices have continued upwards but it hasn't been the case since the latest explosion last year.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

15 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

in that case, you're in great shape. prices of af15 are significantly lower than they were last summer when it peaked. your comment seems to suggest prices have continued upwards but it hasn't been the case since the latest explosion last year.

You’re assuming said logic was applied last summer. Perhaps he applied said logic 5,10, 20yrs ago...hence the regret...

26 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

You’re assuming said logic was applied last summer. Perhaps he applied said logic 5,10, 20yrs ago...hence the regret...

Actually, maybe 2 years ago. But you are correct.

21 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The warehouse situation at one time was a big reason why this MAJOR key  was flat, but I believe that after all these years that the amount of warehouse books have been absorbed into collectors hands. The trilogy F.F. 48,49 and 50 is possibly the greatest story in all of comics history, and deserves it's rightful place.