• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

Book has exploded in the past year.  It was due though.  When the Inhumans books went past this, you had to know something was amiss.  Those books should never be more than the first Surfer book.  48 has to be on par (or better) than anything after 15 or so.  52 has made its run as it should.  48 is equally as important.  It’s a top 20 FF book.

43 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Your missing the point more than me. Comic book sales are nothing compared to worldwide movie box office.

More people watched Marvel movies than bought Elvis and Beatles songs combined last year.

I am not even counting Netflix or Blu-Rays sales.

Btw big fan of Elvis and the Beatles. I appreciate what they did to advance music , but no way are they more popular than the Marvel heroes worldwide now.

So buy as many Marvel keys as you can before they go up. This run up is going to last for awhile.

Buying Marvel keys is going to beat keeping that same money in a savings account these next 5 years.

It is about the comic books. Less people buy them and the fact that the success of comic book created characters in a different medium doesn't translate into the increased value of comic books. What principle of economics is the basis for this belief? Rather, there are plenty of misinformed or uninformed buyers coming in during this period of excessive speculation and there's no doubt speculators are adding fuel to the fire by selling the movie through the book. People seeing the movie aren't running into comic book stores to buy the comic book. That's the degree of fandom that counts. Seeing the movie does not mean a person is a fan (a movie viewer = fan?). I see plenty of movies - many of which have done exceptionally well. In fact, I saw E.T. during my childhood and hated it but according to your definition, I'm a fan because I saw it. Let's not forget that E.T. was more popular than Star Wars because it made more money at the time. Do you really believe E.T. has the kind of fan base that Star Wars has? Btw, I saw the Star Wars films- not a fan even though I loved the first two and I didn't want my parents to buy me Star Wars action figures. What you're failing to see is that the degree of fandom for Elvis- the fact that his fans buy records at an astonishing rate says something about the depth of his popularity. That's what counts. Wish we were debating this over a beer while listening to Elvis Costello...

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Like I think what willl make more money a year from now?

Buying  FF #48, AF #15  and Hulk #181 

or old Elvis or Led  Zep albums?

hm

That's not a fair comparison. Why don't you compare them to the original Elvis Sun Label 78s?  

Just now, bronze johnny said:

It is about the comic books. Less people buy them and the fact that the success of comic book created characters in a different medium doesn't translate into the increased value of comic books. What principle of economics is the basis for this belief? Rather, there are plenty of misinformed or uninformed buyers coming in during this period of excessive speculation and there's no doubt speculators are adding fuel to the fire by selling the movie through the book. People seeing the movie aren't running into comic book stores to buy the comic book. That's the degree of fandom that counts. Seeing the movie does not mean a person is a fan (a movie viewer = fan?). I see plenty of movies - many of which have done exceptionally well. In fact, I saw E.T. during my childhood and hated it but according to your definition, I'm a fan because I saw it. Let's not forget that E.T. was more popular than Star Wars because it made more money at the time. Do you really believe E.T. has the kind of fan base that Star Wars has? Btw, I saw the Star Wars films- not a fan even though I loved the first two and I didn't want my parents to buy me Star Wars action figures. What you're failing to see is that the degree of fandom for Elvis- the fact that his fans buy records at an astonishing rate says something about the depth of his popularity. That's what counts. Wish we were debating this over a beer while listening to Elvis Costello...

Dude its about worldwide  popularity. 

You can love Led Zep, Elvis and the Beatles all you want

but the fact is the new generation rather care about Marvel  characters.

Image result for avengers black panther 87

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Dude its about worldwide  popularity. 

You can love Led Zep, Elvis and the Beatles all you want

but the fact is the new generation rather care about Marvel  characters.

Image result for avengers black panther 87

Gotcha. Worldwide popularity = $$$ for your comic books. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Book has exploded in the past year.  It was due though.  When the Inhumans books went past this, you had to know something was amiss.  Those books should never be more than the first Surfer book.  48 has to be on par (or better) than anything after 15 or so.  52 has made its run as it should.  48 is equally as important.  It’s a top 20 FF book.

Top 20????

i would say easily top 5 if not top 3 IMO.  # 1 and #5 and then #48 for me but I could see the argument for #4 (12, 2, 3 are also great)  

i think FF48 is a top 20 Marvel Silver age book  

But I am a huge Surfer fan so may be a bit biased 

Edited by Chillax23

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

They know because they buy the T-shirts for $20 in a local clothing store. lol

To be fair, a lot of kids know a song if you play it because they are exposed to much more music than we were as kids but they may not know the details if you quiz them on the bands.

One night my friend told everyone we met that I was Robert Plant. They would Google him, nod and agree that I was him. :/

But Plant had blonde hair ?

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You quoted a post from March so I feel I owe you an update.  Literally six days after that post, I did break down and buy the Fantucchio copy:

1793540852_FantasticFour48CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.7f92a698580efbadd1b53442e220778e.jpg

At the time I was kicking myself for not buying an FF #48 months earlier, when it could have been had for a lot less.  But the way the book keeps going up, I'm glad I didn't sit on the sidelines any further.

Great copy ! Congrats.

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You quoted a post from March so I feel I owe you an update.  Literally six days after that post, I did break down and buy the Fantucchio copy:

1793540852_FantasticFour48CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.7f92a698580efbadd1b53442e220778e.jpg

At the time I was kicking myself for not buying an FF #48 months earlier, when it could have been had for a lot less.  But the way the book keeps going up, I'm glad I didn't sit on the sidelines any further.

That's a keeper!   ^^

10 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

I can't believe the explosion of what people are paying for the book.  CGC 5.0 mid summer 2017 were going for 225.00 - 325.00.  2018, prices are $700.00+ - 1000.00.  Holy smokes, lots of speculation going on.  When will the bubble burst?

Sometimes, a so called 'bubble' happens because the book has been undervalued for so long. I bought my 9.2 at least 15 years or so ago for the aggressive price of 1,500 . For years, there was no way I could ever get my money back out of it until recently.  Being underwater on the book for so long, I was tempted to sell early this year when the prices were in the 2,500 range. I was approached by numerous WTB requests but they all wanted to buy at last year's prices, making my decision to keep it an easy one. While this was always a desirable book, the Surfer was not on the cover and there was always the comments about multiple warehouse finds, keeping the price down.  Now, I regret not picking up the whole trilogy. With that in mind, I now turn my attention to the Wolverine trilogy ! HaHa.

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sometimes, a so called 'bubble' happens because the book has been undervalued for so long. I bought my 9.2 at least 15 years or so ago for the aggressive price of 1,500 . For years, there was no way I could ever get my money back out of it until recently.  Being underwater on the book for so long, I was tempted to sell early this year when the prices were in the 2,500 range. I was approached by numerous WTB requests but they all wanted to buy at last year's prices, making my decision to keep it an easy one. While this was always a desirable book, the Surfer was not on the cover and there was always the comments about multiple warehouse finds, keeping the price down.  Now, I regret not picking up the whole trilogy. With that in mind, I now turn my attention to the Wolverine trilogy ! HaHa.

While the book may have been undervalued the entire jump in pricing, like I quoted, can't be laid at the feet of undervaluation.

Edited by Lucky Baru