• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

While the book may have been undervalued the entire jump in pricing, like I quoted, can't be laid at the feet of undervaluation.

You are correct, it took something to trigger it, the DIsney situation in this case. But the magnitude of the jump can be attributed to the undervalued factor. I suspect that even if they announce plans for a SIlver Surfer movie, percentage wise, we would not see as big a jump as this year.

3 hours ago, shane1956 said:

My copy after framing. (Not the greatest photo with the glare ) . I also agree that FF 48 is easily a top 20 Silver Age key.

lK5RBTq.jpg

Very nice but it is the contents of this book that makes it valuable and appealing. Should be framing a 49, one of the greatest covers of all time and truly significant being first full Galactus (one panel last page is considered cameo ala hulk 180) 2nd Surfer, First Cover for both mega characters which is a huge deal in this day and age. A true representation of the imposing Galactus, Surfer there front and center with his trademark board trail and the rarely seen on cover, a team of superheroes running in fear.  49 has so much going for it that it is incredibly undervalued at the moment. I predict we will see more growth with 49 than any other FF book has/will see in terms of percentage. 

3 minutes ago, Wolverine3 said:

Very nice but it is the contents of this book that makes it valuable and appealing. Should be framing a 49, one of the greatest covers of all time and truly significant being first full Galactus (one panel last page is considered cameo ala hulk 180) 2nd Surfer, First Cover for both mega characters which is a huge deal in this day and age. A true representation of the imposing Galactus, Surfer there front and center with his trademark board trail and the rarely seen on cover, a team of superheroes running in fear.  49 has so much going for it that it is incredibly undervalued at the moment. I predict we will see more growth with 49 than any other FF book has/will see in terms of percentage. 

Everyone needs to get the whole trilogy !!

58 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are correct, it took something to trigger it, the DIsney situation in this case. But the magnitude of the jump can be attributed to the undervalued factor. I suspect that even if they announce plans for a SIlver Surfer movie, percentage wise, we would not see as big a jump as this year.

Jumps have happened in many keys.  Maybe not to this level but some large jumps have occurred.  IH 181 in 5.0 had 3 sales in July (non-signed) over $2000.00.  It had a sale on 6-25-18 for 1950.00.   Last year in July, the freight on that book was $1000.00 to 1200.00.  That isn't an undervalued book.  Lots of factors involved, but I have to believe we are in for a big correction.

Edited by Lucky Baru

2 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

I can't believe the explosion of what people are paying for the book.  CGC 5.0 mid summer 2017 were going for 225.00 - 325.00.  2018, prices are $700.00+ - 1000.00.  Holy smokes, lots of speculation going on.  When will the bubble burst?

FF 48 is an important book...that nearly everyone has and there's plenty of left over copies for those who don't. Looks like the speculators have jumped to this book for the time being...until the next one.

Edited by bronze johnny

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the rise in price is related to: (i) the fact that books like FF45 and FF52 pushed way past FF48 value wise - that cannot happen, FF48 is the third most important FF book and a top 20 Marvel Silver Age key - no way the InHumans or Black Panther are as significant.  The only thing keeping this book down value wise was supply and (ii) there is a healthy amount of speculation on this book and other SS books like FF49, SS1, and SS4 due to the Fox/Disney news - of all the books I expect FF48 and FF49 to retain the most value.

I have a 6.0 FF48 (the Berk Copy) and a 7.0 FF49 (both bought literally a month before the huge run-up) - I hope FF48 prices subside some because I would love to pick up another copy (I always wanted a 9.2 of this book (when they were $2K)) :)

On 8/11/2018 at 12:37 PM, VintageComics said:
On 8/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Really it is starting to look like most Marvel keys are turning out to be the best collectible to invest in.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

So buy as many Marvel keys as you can before they go up. This run up is going to last for awhile.

Buying Marvel keys is going to beat keeping that same money in a savings account these next 5 years.

And as Millie the Model and Tessie the Typist  lol has shown us, it doesn't have to be a Marvel key or dare we say, even a Marvel super hero book to rake in the really big dollars:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/millie-the-model-2-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-atlas-marvel-1946-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/a/7177-93031.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Hard to beat a Marvel book that can sell for over 50X condition guide.  :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

so much cooler cover than 48

I disagree.  That is to say, both covers are awesome, and while it's easy to understand why any particular collector would like one more than the other, I don't think either one is far superior to the other.

I love the concept behind the cover to #48 -- the normally impassive Watcher is terrified, and the threat of Galactus is so immense that it can't be contained on the cover.  It begs the reader to buy the book and read it to find out just what has the Watcher and the FF cowering like that.  I am struggling to think of any other character -- hero or villain -- that was ever introduced like this.  So I see #48 as yet another brilliant stroke by Kirby (with at least some credit to Lee, who at a bare minimum had to give his editorial blessing for this cover to see print).

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

11 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

I can't believe the explosion of what people are paying for the book.  CGC 5.0 mid summer 2017 were going for 225.00 - 325.00.  2018, prices are $700.00+ - 1000.00.  Holy smokes, lots of speculation going on.  When will the bubble burst?

A 1.8 just sold for $450 a couple weeks ago. :tonofbricks:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And as Millie the Model and Tessie the Typist  lol has shown us, it doesn't have to be a Marvel key or dare we say, even a Marvel super hero book to rake in the really big dollars:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/millie-the-model-2-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-atlas-marvel-1946-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/a/7177-93031.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Hard to beat a Marvel book that can sell for over 50X condition guide.  :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Amazing. Marvel is on fire! I think longterm Marvel`s are the best investment because Disney can give any Marvel character it`s own show with their upcoming streaming service.

13 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

Your opine is the first I ever heard FF48 described as a Galactus "cameo".   There's no comparing it to Hulk 180, which did not have Wolverine's name in giant letters on the cover, with them all looking o.s. at him, and the entire issue was not about his approach, and his appearance was not a full page splash.  It was not the first part of a multi-part story instead of a coming attractions teaser at the end of a different story.   No comparison.

11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Your opine is the first I ever heard FF48 described as a Galactus "cameo".   There's no comparing it to Hulk 180, which did not have Wolverine's name in giant letters on the cover, with them all looking o.s. at him, and the entire issue was not about his approach, and his appearance was not a full page splash.  It was not the first part of a multi-part story instead of a coming attractions teaser at the end of a different story.   No comparison.

11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Completely agree with Blue here. 

5 hours ago, bluechip said:

But 49 is a cameo for Galactus - just like 180, just like Spider-Man 299, just like Jimmy Olsen 134. FF48 derives it’s value from first Silver Surfer and FF49 from being first full Galactus. 

I agree that FF48 is much more impactful than IH180 as the reader knows it is all about Galactus. But if somehow cameos are not first appearances (which IH180 is clearly the first appearance of Wolverine) than I don’t think it makes sense to start saying one cameo is more than another (ie. I don’t think there can be a cameo scale). 

For the record I love the cover to FF48 it is iconic and although it doesn’t have SS on it - it is an epic cover (something Strange Tales 110 CANNOT claim :) )

5 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

But 49 is a cameo for Galactus - just like 180, just like Spider-Man 299, just like Jimmy Olsen 134. FF48 derives it’s value from first Silver Surfer and FF49 from being first full Galactus. 

I agree that FF48 is much more impactful than IH180 as the reader knows it is all about Galactus. But if somehow cameos are not first appearances (which IH180 is clearly the first appearance of Wolverine) than I don’t think it makes sense to start saying one cameo is more than another (ie. I don’t think there can be a cameo scale). 

For the record I love the cover to FF48 it is iconic and although it doesn’t have SS on it - it is an epic cover (something Strange Tales 110 CANNOT claim :) )

Whats wrong with Pete Pot Paste ... ? ?

On 8/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, Lucky Baru said:

A rapid increase in prices alone doesn't tell us it's speculation. It could just be collectors who've always wanted it deciding they need to act now to get it in their PCs. Or new collectors awakening to its importance. A price run-up doesn't tell us the motives of the buyers.