• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

We’ve had the FF48 vs Hulk 180 conversation before.  The only thing those books have in common is seeing a character for the first time.

The entirety of FF48 is about the coming of Galactus.  Before you saw him, you knew who/what he was.  Wolverine popped in on one page.  No warning.

FF48 builds up to the Galactus appearance. When he finally appears on that last page, the only thing that’s a surprise is how he looks.  Kirby crushed it, of course.  

Wolverine just pops into a panel at the end.  No build up.

48 and 181 aren’t the same.

Not saying they are the same level of introduction of the character - but they are both Cameos and not "First Full Appearances" - I think the whole of idea of cameo vs first appearance is silly, let alone trying to then have gradients of cameos.  FF48 is much more impactful for Galactus then Hulk 180 is for Wolverine - there is no doubt.  However, they are both cameos and the fact remains that FF48s value is from the Silver Surfer and FF49s value is from the first full Galactus.

Point being that a true Silver Surfer fan needs both (as well as FF50, SS1, SS3, SS4 at least).

On 8/11/2018 at 4:02 PM, Gotham Kid said:

But I get his point. Kids want to associate with hip, cool and trendy stuff of today. And Elvis. And the Beatles. :smile:

Kids get their chance to see Elvis at the same theater where they watch the Avengers.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/elvis-68-comeback-special

18 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

However you'd have to think the vast, vast majority of purchases at this point are speculation driven.

These individuals better hope that Disney/Marvel doesn't scrap all of their plans for the next 5-10 years, otherwise they'll be sitting on books that will quickly fall form grace (FF1 withstanding--that books been undervalued for years).

This is probably true.  Take a look at the current values of FF45 and 46 (Inhumans), which provides us a useful lesson.  Most of the equity that was built up into those two books, after the initial Inhumans movie announcement was made in 2014, has been erased with the 2016 announcement to pull the plug on the planned movie, followed by the 2017 crash-and-burn of the failed TV show.  Speculators dumped them over the last two years causing their values to fall from their mid-2015 highs.  (FWIW, i think those two books are undervalued again, because Marvel Studios will find a way to cinematically incorporate the Inhumans into the forthcoming Fantastic Four film universe -- but it just shows how movies for the most part drive values, especially on Silver Age books.)

Edited by zosocane

8 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Not saying they are the same level of introduction of the character - but they are both Cameos and not "First Full Appearances" - I think the whole of idea of cameo vs first appearance is silly, let alone trying to then have gradients of cameos.  FF48 is much more impactful for Galactus then Hulk 180 is for Wolverine - there is no doubt.  However, they are both cameos and the fact remains that FF48s value is from the Silver Surfer and FF49s value is from the first full Galactus.

Point being that a true Silver Surfer fan needs both (as well as FF50, SS1, SS3, SS4 at least).

Actually, FF 49's value is from its proximity to FF 48 just as Hulk 180's value is derived entirely from the fumes of Hulk 181. If you want to know which book people really want and which one people are getting as the spillover, consolation prize in situations like these, all you need to do is look at which book exploded in price first.  

(And FWIW, the cover to 48 sits on many prominent "Top All Time FF Covers" lists, and at the very top of most of those lists.  I have yet to see 49 on any of those lists and certainly nowhere near the top).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Hoping you guys can give me some advice. I've been saving for a 48 9.6 and have enough at the current going rate now. Anything OW or better works for me too.

Should I wait or do you think prices will level? I don't usually collect books in this age but SS is my all time fav.

4 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Hoping you guys can give me some advice. I've been saving for a 48 9.6 and have enough at the current going rate now. Anything OW or better works for me too.

Should I wait or do you think prices will level? I don't usually collect books in this age but SS is my all time fav.

It's now or never.   (thumbsu

-J.

26 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Prices might slow, but not level, I don't think.  They will either gradually increase or bump up even further once the Fox acquisition closes later this year/early next year as expected.  And then another big bump once Marvel Studios announces its plans for an FF film franchise.  If you want it, I probably wouldn't wait longer.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, FF 49's value is from its proximity to FF 48 just as Hulk 180's value is derived entirely from the fumes of Hulk 181. If you want to know which book people really want and which one people are getting as the spillover, consolation prize in situations like these, all you need to do is look at which book exploded in price first.  

(And FWIW, the cover to 48 sits on many prominent "Top All Time FF Covers" lists, and at the very top of most of those lists.  I have yet to see 49 on any of those lists and certainly nowhere near the top).

-J.

I'm going to provide a counterpoint. Personally I think they'll slow down and slightly level in the future.

It's highly unlikely that Disney is going to suddenly announce an FF movie, let alone spill the beans on what it is. It may just be a complete origin/rehash story.

People have been freaking out for the past 6 months because of the merge with a pretty unfounded basis.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, ExNihilo said:

As far as Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer related covers go and ignoring the value of the books, I always liked FF#72 more than 48.

latest?cb=20180127010254

Yes, I would definitely agree with you that this is the de facto stand-alone Silver Surfer cover of all time with the brilliant glowing red cover.  :luhv:

So much so, that I believe I actually went out of my way to purchase a copy of this book at the going market rate at the time.  Something that I've never done with any other SA Marvel book because they are just so available and it's usually just a matter of time to find what you want at a more than reasonable price.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

and marvel is way too smart to resurrect the FF franchise this soon after striking out (three strikes you're out!) this hype is really overblown. let it die down before you plunk down your cash. 

But it bears mentioning that, after four years of dormancy, Marvel's publishing division dusted off Fantastic Four from the shelf and relaunched the title last week.  That is not a coincidence. 

I don't think Marvel Studios is going to wait too long in resurrecting the FF franchise.  For one thing, Disney just agreed to pay a ridiculous amount of money to acquire most of Fox's assets.  A NYSE-listed company like Disney can't let newly acquired intellectual property sit around and not generate revenue.  Disney's press release announcing its Fox deal specifically referenced that it was acquiring film rights to the FF.  Second, and more important, the FF universe is incredibly rich in wonderful supporting characters (e.g., Alicia Masters, Inhumans, Franklin/Valeria, The Watcher, Wyatt Wingfoot) and super-villains (e.g., Dr. Doom, Galactus, Annhilus, Super-Skrull, Mole Man, Puppet-Master).  Marvel Studios can't keep rebooting Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, etc. as audiences will lose interest.  They need to keep things fresh and introduce new sub-universes (Captain Marvel, for instance).  My guess is in late 2019 we'll hear an FF production rumor and then in 2020 they'll launch production targeting a 2021 or 2022 release. Kevin Feige is going to feel like a kid in a candy store and will be all over this.

All of that said, FF48 might level off or even drop.  Who knows?

Both 48 and 49 are grails.  Amazing covers, amazing stories, amazing art.  Lee and Kirby.  Silver Age royalty grails in every way possible.  Right now the prices are higher but I believe these will be considered bargain prices by next year.  You want proof, than just look at the prices that were being tossed around as "high" when this thread first started.  Not so "high" any more.  

And a lot of talk about Hulk 180 and 181.  Yes, there are some interesting comparisons with the cameo comparison.  However these are way different characters from much different time periods.  In a rational world FF 48 & 49 should be worth much more than Hulk 180 & 181 but the comic market is not always so rational right?  

Hulk 181 has always had its detractors and people screaming its price will fall.  And year after that price keeps rising.  I believe the same will happen to FF48 and 49.  

And finally the cameo question.  

FF48 is a Galactus cameo.  An amazingly awesome cameo that is better than IH 180 as a cameo.  The name on the cover, the story based on his arrival.... but still a cameo.  FF48 will always be the one to own but FF49 will become an even more important grail that has to be owned along with FF48.  

34 minutes ago, Bronx said:

And finally the cameo question.  

FF48 is a Galactus cameo.  An amazingly awesome cameo that is better than IH 180 as a cameo.  The name on the cover, the story based on his arrival.... but still a cameo.  FF48 will always be the one to own but FF49 will become an even more important grail that has to be owned along with FF48.  

People buy 48 because of the first appearance of SS.  That's why it sells for what it does. The Galactus appearance, is a distant second consideration from both a substantive and importance point of view.   I don't know of many "Galactus collectors" but I know A TON of SS collectors and fans.  FF 49 sells for the (discounted) amount that it does because it is a cheap alternative to 48. No matter how a few people try to spin it, it is still the second appearance of the SS, "Part 2" of the trilogy, and the second appearance of Galactus (a second tier villain, not even close to the same league of Wolverine, and thus not even worth having the "cameo/first full appearance" debate about anyway).  

-J. 

Edited by Jaydogrules

22 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

What lists are those that rate FF48 as an all time FF cover and FF49 as not?

56 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

People buy 48 because of the first appearance of SS.  That's why it sells for what it does. The Galactus appearance, is a distant second consideration from both a substantive and importance point of view.   I don't know of many "Galactus collectors" but I know A TON of SS collectors and fans.  FF 49 sells for the (discounted) amount that it does because it is a cheap alternative to 48. No matter how a few people try to spin it, it is still the second appearance of the SS, "Part 2" of the trilogy, and the second appearance of Galactus (a second tier villain, not even close to the same league of Wolverine, and thus not even worth having the "cameo/first full appearance" debate about anyway).  

-J. 

I hear and agree with a lot of your arguements but If you check the prices, it ain't quite such a cheap alternative anymore.  48 is a mega grail.  49 is about to become one. 

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:
1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J. 

I hear and agree with a lot of your arguements but If you check the prices, it ain't quite such a cheap alternative anymore.  48 is a mega grail.  49 is about to become one. 

And I am a serious Galactus collector. 

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

What lists are those that rate FF48 as an all time FF cover and FF49 as not?

I'm with Jaydog on this one, so count my list as one of them. I'm forcing myself to try to enjoy FF 49's cover because people lately seem to be falling all over their tongues about it, but I find it too cluttered compared with 48's simple, dramatic feel. 49 is maybe "cool", but 48 has been iconic for as long as I've been into comics (um, 30 years now) and I simply can't see 49 as being better in any way except "there's more colors".