• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm with Jaydog on this one, so count my list as one of them. I'm forcing myself to try to enjoy FF 49's cover because people lately seem to be falling all over their tongues about it, but I find it too cluttered compared with 48's simple, dramatic feel. 49 is maybe "cool", but 48 has been iconic for as long as I've been into comics (um, 30 years now) and I simply can't see 49 as being better in any way except "there's more colors".

It's all subjective.  Jermaine loves the cover for 48.  Others love the cover for 49.  I love both covers.  If I had to choose one it would be 49.  Action, drama, color, power... but I ain't going to down the cover for 48 to make my case for 49.  Both are amazing.   

50 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Hell, 50 is my favourite cover of the three! Am I alone on an island?

? I know lots of people love that cover, but I wince every time I think about it. Long story short, that cover spoils the ending of the most dramatic arc of the SA. Johnny Storm, wearing a top coat, leisurely strolling to class?!

If you want a big Surfer image, I say go with 72. I only sorta dislike that one because it’s the first FF cover with no FF!

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

And I am a serious Galactus collector. 

Aside from FF, would you agree that Thor is the place to go for the best in Galactus collectibles?

1604999851_Thor160CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.3632ec97da7b0ce8f9dc67687f97912e.jpg

1936896436_Thor161CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.2a8d2129cd2270510e5cf33c11f41669.jpg1445785521_Thor169CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.d1c515c0177a3a40aab19fa6d87bf54b.jpg

It's interesting to note that Galactus isn't on the cover of any of the Silver Surfer's 18 issues.  It's been too long since I read the stories, I can't recall if he's in any of the books ... other than in #1 as part of the origin retelling.

9 hours ago, Bronx said:

And a lot of talk about Hulk 180 and 181.  Yes, there are some interesting comparisons with the cameo comparison.  However these are way different characters from much different time periods.  In a rational world FF 48 & 49 should be worth much more than Hulk 180 & 181 but the comic market is not always so rational right?  

Hulk 181 has always had its detractors and people screaming its price will fall.  And year after that price keeps rising.  I believe the same will happen to FF48 and 49.  

"In a rational world FF 48 & 49 should be worth much more than Hulk 180 & 181 but the comic market is not always so rational right?" Going to have to disagree with that. Wolverine>Silver Surfer Surfer in pretty much every category. Popularity, marketability, brand, etc. It's a supply/demand issue no doubt. I'm not saying that the current IH181 explosion is rational, it isn't, but what about comics is? Look at Fawcett comics, absolutely exploding due to the upcoming Shazam movie. 10 years ago?

Edited by Howling Mad

13 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

? I know lots of people love that cover, but I wince every time I think about it. Long story short, that cover spoils the ending of the most dramatic arc of the SA. Johnny Storm, wearing a top coat, leisurely strolling to class?!

If you want a big Surfer image, I say go with 72. I only sorta dislike that one because it’s the first FF cover with no FF!

Hahaha, I literally NEVER even noticed that and I love the cover to 50. Guess I always focused on SS's dynamic posing to the absolute exclusion of the lower-right corner. Agree definitely that 72 is probably the best of the FF Surfer covers. While I like 75 as well, I kind of find the red a little too dominant on that one whereas on 72 it's mitigated by the darkness which thrusts the pure white/silver of SS to the forefront. It's just a stunning cover.

25 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Hahaha, I literally NEVER even noticed that and I love the cover to 50. Guess I always focused on SS's dynamic posing to the absolute exclusion of the lower-right corner. 

Agreed. I’ve noticed it but have never paid any attention to it. That cover is all about the Surfer.

11 hours ago, Howling Mad said:
20 hours ago, Bronx said:

And a lot of talk about Hulk 180 and 181.  Yes, there are some interesting comparisons with the cameo comparison.  However these are way different characters from much different time periods.  In a rational world FF 48 & 49 should be worth much more than Hulk 180 & 181 but the comic market is not always so rational right?  

Hulk 181 has always had its detractors and people screaming its price will fall.  And year after that price keeps rising.  I believe the same will happen to FF48 and 49.  

"In a rational world FF 48 & 49 should be worth much more than Hulk 180 & 181 but the comic market is not always so rational right?" Going to have to disagree with that. Wolverine>Silver Surfer Surfer in pretty much every category. Popularity, marketability, brand, etc. It's a supply/demand issue no doubt. I'm not saying that the current IH181 explosion is rational, it isn't, but what about comics is? Look at Fawcett comics, absolutely exploding due to the upcoming Shazam movie. 10 years ago?

+1 

Silver Surfer is a 3rd tier character. There is a reason FF #48 was a dog value wise for so long, even with the Surfer appearing in the second Fox FF film..........

19 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's interesting to note that Galactus isn't on the cover of any of the Silver Surfer's 18 issues.  It's been too long since I read the stories, I can't recall if he's in any of the books ... other than in #1 as part of the origin retelling.

Galactus departed and left the Surfer trapped on Earth. Why would he appear in the series (outside of flashbacks)?

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Galactus departed and left the Surfer trapped on Earth. Why would he appear in the series (outside of flashbacks)?

That's correct.  My observation is that he never appeared on the covers.  There are all sorts of reasons why you might put Galactus on the cover, the most obvious being a flashback.

Also, like I said I'm forgetting the details as it's been probably 15 years since I last read these books.  I am not recalling if the issue with Shalla Bal on the cover tells a flashback story or involves the Surfer getting away from Earth to be reunited with her.  But either way, my point stands:  if she could be on a cover, so could Galactus.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

10 hours ago, kimik said:

Silver Surfer is a 3rd tier character. There is a reason FF #48 was a dog value wise for so long, even with the Surfer appearing in the second Fox FF film..........

Really? I wouldn't put the Surfer below a B tier. He might even be a B+ character.

He's always been popular and present in Marvel books. He did manage to carry his own series for years (something many B series characters can't do) and appears in and out of story arcs all the time.

And the only reason FF #48 was relatively inexpensive was because it was plentiful in grade.

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Really? I wouldn't put the Surfer below a B tier. He might even be a B+ character.

He's always been popular and present in Marvel books. He did manage to carry his own series for years (something many B series characters can't do) and appears in and out of story arcs all the time.

And the only reason FF #48 was relatively inexpensive was because it was plentiful in grade.

100 percent agree with Roy on this.

The Silver Surfer series written by Stan Lee was some of Stan's best work, maybe even his peak.

I guarantee if they make a Silver Surfer movie Marvel style it will beat Justice League, Suicide Squad and Green Lantern at the world wide box office.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

IH 181 is plentiful in grade and kept going up, along with how many other keys that are easy to find. What hurt FF #48 is outside of the specualtive runup we are finally seeing now, there was low to middling demand for it. As we have seen with countless other books, demand drives prices more than lower supply. Silver Surfer is maybe a 2nd tier character if you want to go with a broad definition, but that is it. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The Silver Surfer series written by Stan Lee was some of Stan's best work, maybe even his peak.

I guarantee if they make a Silver Surfer movie Marvel style it will beat Justice League, Suicide Squad and Green Lantern at the world wide box office.

Not if they do a Green Lantern movie the right way.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I can remember a time when you were saying that GL was going to be a huge movie.......... :baiting:

A Surfer movie may or may not beat the grosses of those films. By the time it came out there will be so much oversaturation of the market that $600M will be tough to reach. FWIW, how is Ant-Man and the Wasp doing this year?