• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I wouldn't say it was a slow to middling book.

It was a 'normal' selling key for me for years meaning it did pretty well. Every copy I ever had sold (and I've sold copies from VG to CGC 9.8 (at least 3 or 4 copies).

I remember the last sale of my CGC 9.8 before the book started to dry up in grade. It was about 7 or so years ago and the buyer was terrified he was over paying as the book was softening. I think he paid low teens for the book.

Compared to how quickly movie books go now, yes it was 'slow' but back then EVERYTHING was 'slower'.

But that 'slow' was normal back then. Now we have a new normal.

Not all books were slow. IH 181 has long been a fast seller, as well as a number of other keys. FF  as a title was pretty much stagnant after FF Rise of the Silver Surfer. Look at how long #1 languished behind other Marvel SA keys. The same could be said for the X-books as well, outside of GSX #1 and X-Men #101, 109, 120 (those have sold well since the first X-Men film). The problem I see for FF is this - the title had been irrelevant for so long that the bulk of its collector base was the aging Baby Boomers who already had their runs. Without the merger spike, we would still be seeing low demand and much lower prices for all of the books, including FF #48.

That being said, I am happy the merger went through as I had been accumulating copies of early FFs and X-Men in 2016 and 2017 since they seemed undervalued. I just sold off my FF #48s (late 2017/early 2018) a little too soon. lol 

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Not all books were slow. IH 181 has long been a fast seller, as well as a number of other keys. FF  as a title was pretty much stagnant after FF Rise of the Silver Surfer. Look at how long #1 languished behind other Marvel SA keys. The same could be said for the X-books as well, outside of GSX #1 and X-Men #101, 109, 120 (those have sold well since the first X-Men film). The problem I see for FF is this - the title had been irrelevant for so long that the bulk of its collector base was the aging Baby Boomers who already had their runs. Without the merger spike, we would still be seeing low demand and much lower prices for all of the books, including FF #48.

That being said, I am happy the merger went through as I had been accumulating copies of early FFs and X-Men in 2016 and 2017 since they seemed undervalued. I just sold off my FF #48s (late 2017/early 2018) a little too soon. lol 

My post was directed at comparing sales of keys pre movie era to keys post movie era (after the movie boom started)

Before movie investing was a thing, FF #48 was a decent moving key for me.

After the movie era started, if a book didn't fly off the shelves and multiply in price every week it was considered 'slow'.

Just trying to add some levity to the discussion.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My post was directed at comparing sales of keys pre movie era to keys post movie era (after the movie boom started)

Before movie investing was a thing, FF #48 was a decent moving key for me.

After the movie era started, if a book didn't fly off the shelves and multiply in price every week it was considered 'slow'.

Just trying to add some levity to the discussion.

It could be a function of the markets. Out here, ASM and Batman back issues have sold fast for as long as I have been doing shows (started in university in 1997). I can remember getting $1,000 for PR/FR Amazing 1s in the early 2000s. FF has long been a slow title, but books like AF #15, ASM #1, TOS #39, IH #1, and even X-Men #1 have always sold fast. I have only had a couple of FF #1s over that time, and I had to move them online to get a sale. 

Edited by kimik

For the record. I was just offered $7300 U.S for my FF #48 9.2 and declined. The value and price is real people. I could care less about what Disney does with SS or the Fantastic Four. I'm not a dealer , flipper, or speculator either. The price is real folks . It's certainly not going down. 

35 minutes ago, shane1956 said:

It's certainly not going down.

Why do people keep saying this in every thread and every discussion about values? Nobody has any way of knowing this.

48 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Why do people keep saying this in every thread and every discussion about values? Nobody has any way of knowing this.

It's frustrating isn't it? No one has any way of knowing. Demand does some pretty crazy things sometimes.

Also, it wasn't my intention to pick on shane1956 - I do personally find it irritating and I guess I felt the need to ask the question.

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Also, it wasn't my intention to pick on shane1956 - I do personally find it irritating and I guess I felt the need to ask the question.

I use to get irritated over this but eventually realized no one will remember or care whether the person was correct or not in their prediction. Blame Nostradamus for this- he may have also predicted the fate of FF Forty-Eight.

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

No problem Roy. We Canadians are much too polite to pick on each other. Obviously I have zero way of knowing what the future holds. Who knows the bottom may drop out of this entire thing. I guess I just get a little excited when the books I bought for personal enjoyment seem to end up in such high demand. Especially the ones I wanted so bad and felt I over paid for about 8 months ago. On a side note, I never did get a copy of Dare Devil #7 in 9.2 .I remember sending you e-mails in the middle of  a Jury trial I was doing a few years back hoping you had one on hand.  It drives me crazy that it's the lone 9.0 in my collection of 9.2's . 

Edited by shane1956

4 minutes ago, shane1956 said:

On a side note, I never did get a copy of Dare Devil #7 in 9.2 .I remember sending you e-mails in the middle of  a Jury trial I was doing a few years back hoping you had one on hand.  It drives me crazy that it's the lone 9.0 in my collection of 9.2's . 

I did sell a 9.4 at the start of the year. Haven't come across a 9.2 in a while now.

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Blame Nostradamus for this- he may have also predicted the fate of FF Forty-Eight.

“And it shall come to pass that in the fifth metallic age, when The mouse devours the fox, that a dormant herald of silver shall become as gold.”

3 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

“And it shall come to pass that in the fifth metallic age, when The mouse devours the fox, that a dormant herald of silver shall become as gold.”

?