• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:
11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wish #50 was the cover to #48. I understand why it's not. Really.

But #50 is easily the greatest SS cover of the 60s.

Sigh.

72 is the best one.  

Hulk can beat Thor.

:whistle:

30 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

It happens friend (might of happened to me last night :shy:, in the Dominican Republic and the booze told me I wasn’t going to lose). No regrets. Enjoy the book and with some luck, you may look back in a short time and be grateful you pulled the trigger. What’s the plan...resubbing or basking in old label glory? I swear, like poker...sometimes I get comic tilt. I lose out on a deal for whatever reason, and end up payin way more than what I let the previous deal fail over... I’m tempted to start a new thread over comic tilt...it’s a thing!!

Edited by Callaway29

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

It happens friend (might of happened to me last night :shy:, in the Dominican Republic and the booze told me I wasn’t going to lose). No regrets. Enjoy the book and with some luck, you may look back in a short time and be grateful you pulled the trigger. What’s the plan...resubbing or basking in old label glory? I swear, like poker...sometimes I get comic tilt. I lose out on a deal for whatever reason, and end up payin way more than what I let the previous deal fail over... I’m tempted to start a new thread over comic tilt...it’s a thing!!

Comic tilt is a great idea for a thread!

I'm not too worried. It's a beauty and if I've over paid I figure it'll catch up in value at some point.

Not sure if I should resub. I've heard that's a thing people do with old labels. Does it really make a difference? Do I need to press first?

1 hour ago, dinesh_s said:

This is a moment to reflect on given there are those (speculators) who will interpret your purchase as "market value." However, even you admit you "got carried away." Unfortunately, your getting carried away is what speculators bank on. The question of whether getting "carried away" = market value in the case of your purchase is one to consider if/when we see 9.4s listed for more than 10k during the next week or so.

Congrats on adding a FF 48 to your collection (thumbsu 

1 hour ago, dinesh_s said:

Wow, congratulations.  I'm feeling good about the one I picked up for $7,500 a couple of months ago.

With that said, you should feel good too because you weren't the only one willing to go that high.  You weren't even one of two.  If that auction is any indication, there is enough demand for you to feel good about your purchase.

I am super glad I prioritized FF, and Silver Surfer in general, over the past year -- but I am wishing I'd gone further, taken the bullet, and locked up #1, #4, and #5.  I did get a #13 last week (1st Watcher) and I have most of Doom's early appearances (FF #6, 16, 17, etc. plus FF Annual #2 and ASM #5).  But it's going to be painful to try to get #5 and #4 the way they've shot up ... forget about #1!

On 9/3/2018 at 1:24 PM, dinesh_s said:

Congratulations on picking up a great book, man. It sounds like you picked it up because you love it, so as long as it makes you happy I wouldn't worry about the cost. I, personally, held the record for price paid for a 9.4 not too long ago. The Surfer has always be a fave of mine and I wanted a near mint copy with a good wrap which are hard to find. One day I came across one with perfect wrap and knew I was in trouble the moment I saw it so the trigger was pulled. Honestly, I never thought I'd get to the "black" with that book based on the price I paid - but here we are!

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

From 1969:

lf?set=path%5B1%2F9%2F0%2F2%2F9%2F19029024%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Agreed, this is easily the greatest Silver Surfer cover of all time, and should be on everyone's short list for the best cover ever.  The only thing holding it back is that it's not a #1 or a first appearance.  Other than that, it's absolute perfection.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Callaway29 said:

It happens friend (might of happened to me last night :shy:, in the Dominican Republic and the booze told me I wasn’t going to Lose)

The Mama Juana will get you thinking crazy.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Agreed, this is easily the greatest Silver Surfer cover of all time, and should be on everyone's short list for the best cover ever.  The only thing holding it back is that it's not a #1 or a first appearance.  Other than that, it's absolute perfection.

I agree it’s a classic, but for whatever reason it’s never really hit home with me. I prefer Buscema’s Avengers annual 2 cover. My favorite Surfer cover is FF 72.

That’s the trouble with assigning lots of value because of a cover; tastes vary. There are always desenting lunatics like me out there!

On 9/3/2018 at 3:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wow, congratulations.  I'm feeling good about the one I picked up for $7,500 a couple of months ago.

With that said, you should feel good too because you weren't the only one willing to go that high.  You weren't even one of two.  If that auction is any indication, there is enough demand for you to feel good about your purchase.

I am super glad I prioritized FF, and Silver Surfer in general, over the past year -- but I am wishing I'd gone further, taken the bullet, and locked up #1, #4, and #5.  I did get a #13 last week (1st Watcher) and I have most of Doom's early appearances (FF #6, 16, 17, etc. plus FF Annual #2 and ASM #5).  But it's going to be painful to try to get #5 and #4 the way they've shot up ... forget about #1!

Feel like I got lucky too.  Upgraded my 48 last year (“only” to 6.5) right before the big run up.  

I bought my #5 years ago (was my first “grail” book as I never thought I’d get an AF15 until I did).  

Think I said it in the FF thread, #6 is the book to target right now.  Great cover.  2nd Doom & Namor.  Compared to the “big” FF books, still looks reasonable.  Especially for a single digit book.

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I agree it’s a classic, but for whatever reason it’s never really hit home with me. I prefer Buscema’s Avengers annual 2 cover. My favorite Surfer cover is FF 72.

That’s the trouble with assigning lots of value because of a cover; tastes vary. There are always desenting lunatics like me out there!

72 is the best Surfer cover, I agree.  

And the interior splash of the Surfer soaring over the skyline is one of Kirby’s finest hours.  

The quintessential Surfer book.