• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Masterworks v1 - Dust Jackets

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I may be able to find the dust jackets to particular Marvel Masterworks (and how much they may go for)? I have 11 volumes from when I was a kid, but unfortunately, Child Me lost or threw out the dust jackets as they tended to rip, and now Adult Me has the books but not the nice-looking jackets...if it matters, they're volumes 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 23, and 24.

(Also, the same question goes for the 1991 Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics book.)

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if I'd be willing to re-purchase them...I'd have to think on that one (not sure what the older ones may even be going for these days). I was mainly hoping there may be some place that had one but not the other, in the same kind of way that you might find toy accessories without the toys...

You might try the marvelmasterworks.com boards, and see if anyone has digital files that you could print or they'd be willing to print for you to replace what you're missing, for a fee. A lot of the guys over there seem to make custom jackets and the like, and sometimes offer custom jackets up for sale at cost. Maybe a long shot but that would be my best advice. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

You might try the marvelmasterworks.com boards, and see if anyone has digital files that you could print or they'd be willing to print for you to replace what you're missing, for a fee. A lot of the guys over there seem to make custom jackets and the like, and sometimes offer custom jackets up for sale at cost. Maybe a long shot but that would be my best advice. Good luck!

I would agree with the above. The masterworks site has a good board for collected editions. Printing copies from digital files/ scans will be your best bet. They won't fool anyone into thinking their originals but they will look good enough on the book shelf imho.

3 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I would agree with the above. The masterworks site has a good board for collected editions. Printing copies from digital files/ scans will be your best bet. They won't fool anyone into thinking their originals but they will look good enough on the book shelf imho.

It's a very nice resource, those boards. I almost never post, but I've lurked for years, and have marveled at some of the custom bindings and covers that folks cook up over there. Very neat place!

Most of the early volumes don't go for much now, anyway, so it wouldn't be too painful to repurchase them and you could sell the duplicates to recoup some cost, too. I've bought a few lately for $25-30 in NM, unread condition. Once they reprinted those early editions as limited to XXXX copies, those reprinted variant covers took off and the value of the actual first printings took a beating.

This thread will be super-helpful in understanding the situation. finecomics post on the second page pretty much lays out the good info....

33 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks for the info. Interesting website to look through...and makes my memories all the more confusing. So they originally printed in the marbled versions (which is what I remember having), then they started printing them in the Library versions as volume 2, and then they started reprinting the older ones with the original (vol. 1) marbled cover versions as variants of the Library (vol. 2) versions? (The forums on that website appear to be down, at least for me...)

1 minute ago, Cocomonkey said:

Thanks for the info. Interesting website to look through...and makes my memories all the more confusing. So they originally printed in the marbled versions (which is what I remember having), then they started printing them in the Library versions as volume 2, and then they started reprinting the older ones with the original (vol. 1) marbled cover versions as variants of the Library (vol. 2) versions? (The forums on that website appear to be down, at least for me...)

...basically. Yeah. Martin's thread in the post above me explains it pretty well. The marvelmasterworks boards are loading ok for me over here, does, this direct link work for you?

marvel masterworks boards

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

...basically. Yeah. Martin's thread in the post above me explains it pretty well. The marvelmasterworks boards are loading ok for me over here, does, this direct link work for you?

marvel masterworks boards

That one worked, thanks! And yeah, I jumped the gun replying here; continuing to read through the quoted Masterworks thread here (particular page 2) started clearing up the variants-like-originals...

These are mainly sentimental value for me (getting Vol. 1, reprinting AF15 and ASM 1-10, as a reward from my parents was how I first got into comics); actual value would be nice (but doesn't seem to exist in this case beyond cover value), but I don't know that I'd be willing to pay more than like a few dollars a pop for just jackets. Unless I happen to stumble across them somewhere, I guess I'll just keep them as reminders of the follies of childhood...

(Stupid variants driving down value....)

Just now, Cocomonkey said:

That one worked, thanks! And yeah, I jumped the gun replying here; continuing to read through the quoted Masterworks thread here (particular page 2) started clearing up the variants-like-originals...

These are mainly sentimental value for me (getting Vol. 1, reprinting AF15 and ASM 1-10, as a reward from my parents was how I first got into comics); actual value would be nice (but doesn't seem to exist in this case beyond cover value), but I don't know that I'd be willing to pay more than like a few dollars a pop for just jackets. Unless I happen to stumble across them somewhere, I guess I'll just keep them as reminders of the follies of childhood...

(Stupid variants driving down value....)

I get it, totally. Good luck!

2 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

So ... these are the variants?

Might be easier to tell from the back covers if you can take snaps of those. I think most of the "variants" of the first run books are amended to say what the edition size is in the text on the back.