• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Feb 2018 auction
5 5

365 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2018 at 4:58 PM, Straw-Man said:

some nice fox books in the auction.

And it looks like this copy of Wonderworld 7 is back out there already:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=758840

Wonder if it will do better than the last time when it sold for $16,730:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wonderworld-comics-7-fox-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91162.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wonder if the Heritage purchaser simply asked them to send the book straight up to Metro since the HA auction took place just a few months ago?  (:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

And it looks like this copy of Wonderworld 7 is back out there already:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=758840

Wonder if it will do better than the last time when it sold for $16,730:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wonderworld-comics-7-fox-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91162.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wonder if the Heritage purchaser simply asked them to send the book straight up to Metro since the HA auction took place just a few months ago?  (:

Some books come out higher some resale lower that is the gamble you take in this game of flipping :smile:

On 2/21/2018 at 10:49 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, now I remember seeing that auction in one of my comic related emails.

All I can say is that if I was the consignor of this book, Hake's would definitely not be the first or even second auction site that I would think for selling a book of this magnitude. 

This along with the More Fun #52 and Action #7 supposedly came from an original owner collection. Has anyone come forward as the buyer? I suspect this collection was a local probably PA find. Possibly, by a non comic book person. Hakes is a well known local auction house. The buyer might not realize the other big auction houses for comics. Depending what this person paid for them, he might stand to do REAL well in his eyes. 

It never ceases me how many books like this come out of this area. When I travel there, I almost always score nice GA books from flea markets, antique stores and farm auctions.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This along with the More Fun #52 and Action #7 supposedly came from an original owner collection. Has anyone come forward as the buyer? I suspect this collection was a local probably PA find. Possibly, by a non comic book person. Hakes is a well known local auction house. The buyer might not realize the other big auction houses for comics. Depending what this person paid for them, he might stand to do REAL well in his eyes. 

It never ceases me how many books like this come out of this area. When I travel there, I almost always score nice GA books from flea markets, antique stores and farm auctions.

My understanding is that geppi found or was brought the collection. Since he owns Hakes? Makes sense why they are being auctioned there. 

Edited by G.A.tor

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My understanding is that geppi found or was brought the collection. Since he owns Hakes? Makes sense why they are being auctioned there. 

I've never understood why Geppi didn't start loading Hake's up with good comic material as soon as he purchased it, if he really wanted it to be a player in the comic auction business.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

I've never understood why Geppi didn't start loading Hake's up with good comic material as soon as he purchased it, if he really wanted it to be a player in the comic auction business.

When did he buy them?  Wasn't he big into the real estate investing by that time?

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

When did he buy them?  Wasn't he big into the real estate investing by that time?

According to Hake's website - Geppi bought Hake’s Americana and Collectibles on March 17, 2004, adding to his other businesses.  .

So certainly before the real estate crash and before he sold many items through Heritage.

I remember the first auction catalogs after the purchase being nice, full color, and chock full of interesting things - just not comics.

Just now, Crowzilla said:

According to Hake's website - Geppi bought Hake’s Americana and Collectibles on March 17, 2004, adding to his other businesses.  .

So certainly before the real estate crash and before he sold many items through Heritage.

I remember the first auction catalogs after the purchase being nice, full color, and chock full of interesting things - just not comics.

He gave Heritage several thousand books in either late 2002 or early 2003.

If I remember correctly it was 5000 books in total of which 3000 were pedigrees.  It was a crucial factor in the success of Heritage's foray into comics.

9 hours ago, woowoo said:
12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

:golfclap: :headbang:

+1

Yes, I guess Geppi has a lot more confidence in his own Hakes auction site, as opposed to somebody like Schmell who didn't have any confidence in his own Pedigree auction site when it came time to auctioning off his own books from his personal collection.  hm

Highly doubt it would be due to potential conflict of interest concerns since I don't believe that Schmell would care much about that being much of an issue if it came down to maximizing his monies. 

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

That makes sense then. Hey, no consignment fees for him. Plus a lot of publicity for his auction house. Wonder what else was in that collection?

Just wondering if you guys have still been receiving your Event Auction Session links from ComicConnect this week?  ???

It seems like the last one which I received was for Session 3 Parts 1 & 2 and both of these came on this past Monday.  Just seems rather strange since they usually email these out at least a week ahead of the actual auction dates.  Not sure if they are simply running behind or am I off their mailing list?   hm  lol

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

why are y'all playing around on the boards when you could be bidding up my georgie's on c'connect??????

My books just took a jump, just this morning, after lying dormant for weeks.  I thought bidders were exhausted at the tail end of the auction trail - Heritage, Clink, and finally CC. But I guess that’s not the case. People were simply holding off their commitments until all the other auctions completed.

I’m selling lower grade classic covers and the lack of activity was beginning to make me feel like a real insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

This hobby really does seem to have legs at this particular point in time.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost
Accuracy