• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Feb 2018 auction
5 5

365 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I asked them and they sent it to me.  I tried to cut and paste it in, but the software blocked it.  I'll see if they let me PM it.

Wow, you must have some pull with the boys at Metro because they did a resend of their email from last week for the Session 3 Pat 2/2 a couple hours after your post here.  I actually got my Session 3 ones from the previous Monday with no problems, but received the Session 5 one only last night.

With your connections, can you contact them again for the rest of us that are still missing the email from last week for Session 4?  (thumbsu  lol

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, you must have some pull with the boys at Metro because they did a resend of their email from last week for the Session 3 Pat 2/2 a couple hours after your post here.  I actually got my Session 3 ones from the previous Monday with no problems, but received the Session 5 one only last night.

With your connections, can you contact them again for the rest of us that are still missing the email from last week for Session 4(thumbsu  lol

sent you a copy on your pm

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i'm out on the 2 big fox books i targeted, with days yet to go!

I imagine that would be the Wonderworld 7 which the buyer certainly didn't hold onto for a very long time since it was just sold in the Heritage Auction last summer.  I assume the other one would be the PLOD copy of Science 2 which as you say is already going for a pretty hefty price.

Makes the gorgeous GLOD copy of WW 11 look relatively dirt cheap by comparison, especially since it looks undergraded from the cover scans relative to its assigned CGC 8.0 grade.  Looks like the only copy graded higher than 8.0 is Berk's Mile High copy which went for $19K, so a second highest graded 8.0 at only $436 (for now that is) might not be that bad of a deal.  hm

47 minutes ago, atomised said:

got the one book today below and made a spirited go at the All Select #4 6.0 which I thought I would go for far less than final hammer.  The hunt continues tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.13.37 PM.png

This is a great book.  And the All Select 4 is crazy tough to find

RE: Science Comics #2

The label says it's a Larson copy, but I don't see Larson, Lamont, La, or any other signifier. It does look like at the bottom part of the "O" in the Science Comics title/banner,there's some faint text that had been erased, but I can't make out the letters. Does anyone have any insights into what makes this a Larson?

6 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

The label says it's a Larson copy, but I don't see Larson, Lamont, La, or any other signifier. It does look like at the bottom part of the "O" in the Science Comics title/banner,there's some faint text that had been erased, but I can't make out the letters. Does anyone have any insights into what makes this a Larson?

There is some writing in the "O" of comics that is either faint or partly erased. 

17 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

There is some writing in the "O" of comics that is either faint or partly erased. 

came from jon, the ultimate larson expert, and i'm sure he wouldn't have abided them putting it on the label if he wasn't in fact pretty confident of it's provenance.

Chain of ownership is often the only way to trace un-marked pedigree books. I have a number of un-marked Church books I bought directly from Chuck. I know what they are, but understand that someone might not believe me. And lord knows, Chuck probably wouldn't be able to confirm them any more...

56 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

White pages points it out also as a Larson and Mr. Berk knows this ped very well 

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

There are a number of Larson books that somewhere along the way had the name(s) erased.  I'm pretty sure we can see the remnants of his name in the O.

Edited to add:  I'll hazard the guess that the name was erased at the same time that the ct and the tear seals were applied to the book. 

Edited by Sqeggs

48 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There are a number of Larson books that somewhere along the way had the name(s) erased.  I'm pretty sure we can see the remnants of his name in the O.

Edited to add:  I'll hazard the guess that the name was erased at the same time that the ct and the tear seals were applied to the book. 

"larson" erased from the M on my copy of mm 12; you can still see the imprint of it in hand.   after i erased the name, i tried to flatten the imprint out with one of those old wallpaper seam rollers, but failed.  riiiiiight.

mm12.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was planning to bid live on this gorgeous Amazing Mystery Funnies V1 #3 with the bright eye-popping colours:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=757483

And then my daughter comes into the room with 30 minutes to go to tell me that we've got an appointment with the bank in 20 minutes and have to leave right away.  So much for planning to bid live on the book.  :censored:  :mad:

Jumped back onto the computer and increased my bid to something over $2,600 when the current bid was at $1,600 or thereabouts.  Had a strong feeling that this would most likely not be high enough, but was hoping that the GLOD label might lower the bid in my favor, especially since a couple of blue copies of this supposedly HTF Centaur had already hit the marketplace over the past year or so.  :wishluck:

No such luck as the book sold for over $3,200 or pretty much double condition guide for a GLOD copy.  :cry:   I guess it wasn't really that surprising considering this exact same copy sold for about $100 more at Heritage back in 2014.  Guess I was just hoping the collectors with deeper pockets might have had their appetites filled with the unrestored copies that came into the marketplace during the past year. 

At least it didn't sell for only one increment more than your final bid.   That really makes me :frustrated:

12 hours ago, atomised said:

got the one book today below and made a spirited go at the All Select #4 6.0 which I thought I would go for far less than final hammer.  The hunt continues tomorrow.

Great book!

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nope.  I think I was still winning right around guide when it went to stoppage time.  Guide is $24K, so it soared past that when the big boys weighed in.

They were on it like a high-grade, low-digit Planet!:)

I was interested in that too for about $7k less. Yes, I know I was dreaming. It was a pretty 4.0.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

13 hours ago, atomised said:

great book

I got the AS4, although you really made me pay for it!

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:
16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

$35,500 on the Archie 1.

Is this about right or is it high?

Seems high to me.  I think we've seen a number of lower-grade copies come to market recently and prices have softened in that range.  But this was a very nice looking book whose grade was brought down by a detached cover.  So, at least two people went after it aggressively.