• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Feb 2018 auction
5 5

365 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
4 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Cap 3 CGC 6.5 approaching $50K :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

I know the clink CGC 1.8 with notes went for $16K, but still impressive.

Anyone know what the 7.0 in Hakes just went for?

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/220414/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-COMICS-3-MAY-1941-CGC-70-FINEVF

Well, looks like the Hakes 7.0 graded copy ended up selling for about $500 less than the CGC 6.5 graded copy did on the CC auction.

I guess that's the Metro / CC brand being stronger than the Hakes brand, as I thought Hakes 7.0 copy looked better than CC's copy by more than a 0.5 grade difference.  hm

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like the Hakes 7.0 graded copy ended up selling for about $500 less than the CGC 6.5 graded copy did on the CC auction.

I guess that's the Metro / CC brand being stronger than the Hakes brand, as I thought Hakes 7.0 copy looked better than CC's copy by more than a 0.5 grade difference.  hm

You also have to add in the 18% buyer's premium to the Hakes final sales price

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The Hakes auction listing indicates that the final price of $55,043 already INCLUDES the 18% buyer's premium.  :gossip:

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
24 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The Hakes auction listing indicates that the final price of $55,043 already INCLUDES the 18% buyer's premium.  :gossip:

Actually, if you pay by check, the BP drops to 15%, so the winner may have paid less.

2 minutes ago, Hudson said:

There has been LOTS of discussion on these boards as to which book is king (Action 1 or Tec 27).

Well, the AC1 in 5.0 went for 815K; the Tec27 went for 732K in 6.0.

The Prince sold for more than the King!

4 minutes ago, Hudson said:

There has been LOTS of discussion on these boards as to which book is king (Action 1 or Tec 27).

I agree that Action 1 will sell for more than a Tec 27, but just to point out that there were 2 Tec 27 copies up for sale at around the same time period so it would seem that there is a huge gap again between Action 1 and Tec 27.  I think that if only a single copy of Tec 27 were up for auction, then it would really be closer in the race between the two.  

Looks like that Tec 27 CGC 2.5 with tape sold for a strong price at CL.  Gratz to the seller for making out well!

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

not just that, but a higher grade, pedigree copy with better PQ TEC 27 came in second banana to the lower grade, non pedigree, Cream-off-white pages Action #1.  

What's going on here? is Batman slipping? perhaps it's the less than favorable portrayal of Batman in the Justice League movie.  ( he said in his best Comic Connoisseur voice.).  lol!

7 minutes ago, Hudson said:

..He's not called the Man of Steel for nothing. Fitting finish.

2 minutes ago, thedude said:

not just that, but a higher grade, pedigree copy with better PQ TEC 27 came in second banana to the lower grade, non pedigree, Cream-off-white pages Action #1.  

What's going on here? is Batman slipping? perhaps it's the less than favorable portrayal of Batman in the Justice League movie.  ( he said in his best Comic Connoisseur voice.).  lol!

Well, I have to say I was surprised to see the Tec 175 go for $4,400 and the Tec 176 go for $4,500.  Yes, they are 9.4s and yes, that's a tough period to find copies in high grade, but neither is a census topper or has an interesting cover, and I don't know of anything that particularly distinguishes those issues. I figured they would go for half what they did. 

Just now, batman_fan said:

I literally just pooped my pants when I saw the prices on some of the Detectives.

Here's hoping you meant "figuratively" or "virtually"! :)