• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,010 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Here is another great Dell horror - an adaptation of Creature from the Black Lagoon (my favorite of the Universal monsters). This is the first printing, it proved to be a very popular issue and a second printing was also made.

s-l400 (9).jpg

Two years ago, I bought the only non-reprint of The Creature #1 to be listed on eBay at the time which was this low-grade reader copy:

5a8332efefe6a_TheCreature142_1.thumb.jpg.e05f0b6ce082489b5dde0efb9c3e1a9b.jpg

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I use to have the model.

Image result for aurora creature black lagoon model

Welcome aboard comicConnoisseur, I still have this model as well as his little brothers and sister, the Aurora range was to die for (pun). Did you know that the outline was based on the oscar statuette and was designed by a woman called Millicent Patrick and the actual suit was made by Jack Kevan.  

57 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I wonder why? Um I'll have to think on that.:)

I impatiently got the first one that popped up after having missed out on others. Hope to find a nicer example for my display :wishluck:

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i never heard of this movie (or book) ..whats the story behind this one ??

This was a trilogy of Nathaniel Hawthorne stories to capitalise on the Poe series of movies starring Vincent Price that were very successful at the time. It also has the House of seven gables as one of the story's a sort of House of Usher theme, plus Price had starred in an earlier version with a more Gothic theme than this version which was more horror related.  His co-star Sebastian Cabot would later appear on the tv series Ghost story as the narrator this series would become known as Circle of fear after he left the series. 

Edited by tv horror

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

i had this "glow in the dark" one as a kid ,,, and i never was good at painting them either...

Image result for creature built up modelxD

I actually got this and King Kong as a birthday present from my father three days before he died on my 14th birthday and it is still a treasure. I loved painting these kits, funny story about this model, about a month later I had just painted it and left in on my window sill and BANG! A bomb went off at the top of my street here in Belfast thank God nobody was hurt but there was a lot of damage, my Creature was blown across the street and landed undamaged you could say he was in the wars.  xD  

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Christopher Lee scared me half to death as a young child ,... even still today when i see him or hear of him i almost get a chill lol 

While not Silver age John Bolton was the artist who brought him to life (xD) on the comic page within the magazine Halls of horror.

2593674-hoh_special_1982__issue_24_.pdf_000.jpg.5c67d9490a3b6f2e18cc962521950ea0.jpg

15 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I wonder can Cushingfan guess who is behind the iron mask?:)

874aa7c8-9941-49a2-9907-abffe62e2423_zps0e4dfe20.jpg.0eed3e9a8f88f7609dbafbab65d75535.jpg

Aha! That would be Louis Hayward. Cushing was originally supposed to be Hayward's double as Hayward would have someone to act with playing his double role. Cushing impressed the director - James Whale of Frankenstein fame, and got an onscreen role as the captain of the king's guards.