• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,013 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

It must have taken a lot of "Yak" hair to make the wolfman :blush:

Yak yak yak you are so funny.xD

As for the Wolfman being invisible on the cover I can only assume it was the presence of the Wolfman legend on the prevailing lands, that's my answer anyway that or the artist just liked drawing invisible wolves. The marquee reads "Feel the presence of an ancient legend only spoken of in whispered tones...Da da tee da!" 

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

I remember reading that Peter himself claimed that he wore the mask, then again can you ride a horse  or can you fence? Peter was a cad.:) 

Cushing did fib about being able to fence to get the gig. Then he told the truth to the fencing instructor for the film and was rewarded with plenty of lessons to become proficient in the art of fencing.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

Wow that Dell  Dracula really has a great cover !

Yes, Bela was a very striking man and I have always admired his movie appearances, However his Dracula role stands above the lot of them. Universal struck gold twice with the two titans of terror Karloff and Lugosi, much like Hammer films with Cushing and Lee.    

On 2018-02-20 at 11:53 AM, tv horror said:

Marvel who?:)           

Universal created most of the icon looks that the classic monsters had and it was all down to a make-up artist called Jack Pierce, he was a genius and to think this was at least 80 years before Marvel came to the big screen. Then all he to work with was yak hair, cheesecloth, spirit gum and greasepaint and look at the legacy he left a phenomenal achievement. 

5a8c527fa8d03_ForMonstersOnlyNo5Sep1967Pierce01.thumb.jpg.87fe4d3118d47039aad3eeac089b78d7.jpg

In what magazine did this article appear?

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Always was into egyptology.

I dig it! Nothing like the Mummy which I think is the greatest make-up ever created and it was all cheesecloth and painted on shading, ironically the make-up only appeared at the beginning and end with the rest being Karloff as Ardeth Bey which was another triumph to Pierce's talent, it's a wrap!

5a8f1b23bdad0_download(1).jpg.9b30d0fb740174bc4e57bc2e8fdbe368.jpg

21 hours ago, tv horror said:

You can't have Karloff without Bela Lugosi and his greatest role in Dracula 1931.

Even in his later years he was still scary ... here Lugosi :blush: is covering his face  in Plan 9 from outer space.......:popcorn:

Image result for plan 9 outer space chiropractor

Edited by 1950's war comics

Original posters from the 1931 release (see below picture, top row) are very rare and extremely valuable, typically auctioning for more than $100,000. In 2009, an original one sheet then owned by actor Nicolas Cage sold for $310,700.[29] Re-release posters (see below picture, bottom row) are also valuable.

Dracula one sheet movie posters.jpeg