• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,010 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

Even in his later years he was still scary ... here Lugosi :blush: is covering his face  in Plan 9 from outer space.......:popcorn:

Image result for plan 9 outer space chiropractor

Oops 1950 that's not Bela but a stand-in who was actually Ed Woods wife's chiropractor Tom Mason, as Lugosi was dead at this time they used footage from an uncompleted movie featuring a few scenes of Lugosi called Tomb of the vampire.

7 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Oops 1950 that's not Bela but a stand-in who was actually Ed Woods wife's chiropractor Tom Mason, as Lugosi was dead at this time they used footage from an uncompleted movie featuring a few scenes of Lugosi called Tomb of the vampire.

I was seeing if i could slip one by you @tv horror lol 

Ed Woods wife's chiropractor ... wow its like they made that one up .... too funny lol 

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Was he also up for the Frankenstein monster role as well?

No that part was originally offered to Lugosi and make-up tests were filmed (now considered lost) However he then refused the part and Karloff was born (should that be re-born?).:)

18 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

I'm still hoping a print of London After Midnight with Chaney will turn up one day.

It's usually around this time that a print is found for Aprils fool day, even if a clip of him as a vampire turned up I would be delighted. Have you watched Whitechapel the series there is a great re-enactment featured.:) 

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

No that part was originally offered to Lugosi and make-up tests were filmed (now considered lost) However he then refused the part and Karloff was born (should that be re-born?).:)

It's usually around this time that a print is found for Aprils fool day, even if a clip of him as a vampire turned up I would be delighted. Have you watched Whitechapel the series there is a great re-enactment featured.:) 

I haven't seen that series - will have to check it out.

18 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

haven't seen that series - will have to check it out.

Whitechapel (TV Series)

Episode #3.5 (2012)

Title: Connections

References 

The Hypnotist (1927) 
The suspect is a Lon Chaney obsessive who claimed to have possession of the only remaining reels of this film This was the U.K title for London after midnight and featured in a real life murder case in the 1920's were the murderer claimed to be egged on by the vampire character. I have always had the theory that because it was used in evidence that a copy might exist in some High court's vault.:) 

Edited by tv horror

2 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

I'm still hoping a print of London After Midnight with Chaney will turn up one day.

The next best thing to the movie has been made using stills taken during the filming.  Quite interesting, but not a very well paced film in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

I'd heard that about Lugosi but I'd bet that if Chaney had still been living that he would have been given a run at it.

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd heard that about Lugosi but I'd bet that if Chaney had still been living that he would have been given a run at it.

Chaney had moved to MGM at that time and I'm sure that James Whale had a vision for his creature which turned out to be a chance encounter with Karloff and the rest is history. "Karloff good...Chaney...Bad!"xD

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Chaney had moved to MGM at that time and I'm sure that James Whale had a vision for his creature which turned out to be a chance encounter with Karloff and the rest is history. "Karloff good...Chaney...Bad!"xD

We'll never know will we.  

It would have been interesting to see how Chaney would have voiced Dracula.  A large part of what makes the Lugosi version great is his accent...

Just now, pemart1966 said:

A large part of what makes the Lugosi version great is his accent...

Lugosi had already toured in the play and was helped by phonetics during the filming and I hate the "Blah blah " misrepresented quote. You have to account for the 30's era when you watch the movie. 

9 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

The next best thing to the movie has been made using stills taken during the filming.  Quite interesting, but not a very well paced film in my opinion. 

Ted Turner had this made for the TCM channel and there are some experts who think some of the film is shown out of order.

9 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

It would have been interesting to see how Chaney would have voiced Dracula.

Chaney had a gruff voice which can be heard in his only talking movie The Unholy three. I was more interested in the casting of Conrad Veidt now that I would have loved to have seen him play the part and he had the voice and commanding presence.

The-Last-Performance-1917-1929-Conrad-Veidt-Image-46.jpg.e267d7a5abc2de621d7dbc63f77f86c0.jpg