• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,015 posts in this topic

One of the best comic book gimmicks was the use of the checkerboard. This was the black and white artwork at the top of DC comics which was featured on all DC titles from February 1966 – August 1967. Several classic covers have the checkerboard at the top of the cover, covers like Detective #357. The checkerboard appeared the most on Action comics, a total of 20 issues. Three titles started with checkerboard covers on them, including Swing with Scooter, Plastic Man, and Inferior Five. In all, 535 issues carried the innovative design on the cover.

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

One of the best comic book gimmicks was the use of the checkerboard. This was the black and white artwork at the top of DC comics which was featured on all DC titles from February 1966 – August 1967. Several classic covers have the checkerboard at the top of the cover, covers like Detective #357. The checkerboard appeared the most on Action comics, a total of 20 issues. Three titles started with checkerboard covers on them, including Swing with Scooter, Plastic Man, and Inferior Five. In all, 535 issues carried the innovative design on the cover.

There was much self-promoting of this in the comics at the time, here's just one advert. Others can be found with a quick google, (Quite legal if you're over 21).

Ha_03.jpg

On 8/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, tv horror said:

The Mole people appeared in a Universal movie of the same name 1956 and it was so cheap that their humps were filled with newspapers.:bigsmile:

i like hearing the inside story on the B list movies , i have always enjoyed bad movies just like @Gnasher

one of my favorite bad movies is "Heavens Gate"

Image result for heavens gate movie so bad it bankrupted the studio ,... but in retrospect all these years later it is a visual masterpiece.....

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i like hearing the inside story on the B list movies , i have always enjoyed bad movies just like @Gnasher

one of my favorite bad movies is "Heavens Gate"

Image result for heavens gate movie so bad it bankrupted the studio ,... but in retrospect all these years later it is a visual masterpiece.....

I do like this movie, but I do think it is a good movie...... reallylol

Only seen it the once some 30 years ago and only on the telly, and you're right it is a visual masterpiece, probably could have been edited down a bit more than it was, though I'm not sure what version the BBC showed in 1986/87? 

It did get a few nominations  at the 2nd Golden Raspberry Award according to Wiki...:) (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Gerald's mother had warned him of reading his copies of Playboy beneath the bedclothes with just a flashlight.

s-l1600.jpg

Gum card from the Outer Limits set, released by A&BC gum cards in the U.K. by permission with Topps in the U.S

What movie is this from Gnasher⁉️⁉️?

On 8/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, 1950's war comics said:

These two have great covers in my opinion....

Image result for aquaman comic silver age Image result for aquaman comic book cover DC really tried hard to draw you in with these colorful and dramatic covers,,,,,,

Those are a couple real nice multi color cover comics like ‼️‼️??‼️?

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

What movie is this from Gnasher⁉️⁉️?

It is from an episode of the Outer limits tv series from the 60's and this episode was called "The Mutant" starring Warren Oates. One of the photo's features a rare colour shot as the series was shot in black and white.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg